Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2006 2:06:49 PM EDT
July 10,2003-Picked up papers for pistol permit $10
Feb 20, 2004-turned in papers and had fingerprints$ 95
May 13, 2004- Had first interview(had reciept for pistol to get the interview$250)
June 7,2005-sent nice letter to judge asking if papers were lost
Sep 13,2005-had another interview (told papers were lost)
Oct 10, 2005-Girlfriend is called and asked to interview to see if I an safe
Oct 20, 2005-Girlfriend interviewed, asked to write letter to judge saying I am safe
Jan 16,2006-called to check status, told judge is reviewing application
March 7,2006-called Judge still reviewing
Today-still waiting.....

Has anyone been through this type of experience before
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 2:12:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Is this NY or NJ?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:27:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Gotta be NY. Sounds unbelievable though considering they are supposed to issue the permit within six months or state the reason in writing as to why it's been denied or the reason for the delay.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:45:41 PM EDT
[#3]
move to Chautauqua county
no interview
unrestricted permit in 3 months
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:56:36 PM EDT
[#4]
that is fn nuts !!!  
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:04:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I bet the next time they call you in for an interview they'll have flaming hoops waiting.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:01:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Jefferson county, NY.
I can understand if there was an error, I just cant believe it would take this long to clear up. I have talked to other people around the area and some have taken up to 20 months, and some in as little as 4 to 6 weeks. I think I am setting the record!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 6:56:02 PM EDT
[#7]
That's like Watertown right? Even Onondaga (Syracuse) only takes 6 months. o.O
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:51:10 AM EDT
[#8]
It might be time to ask Marsha Barton (Pistol licenseing head clerk) just what the deal is and if she can't or won't give you a respectable answer make an appointment with Judge Kim Martusewicz. Politely remind them that State law requires disposition with in six months... of course she'll counter with a bunch of bla, bla, bla, but hold firm. They do have enough personell, and they manage to get military personell done within a reasionable amount of time, no reasion for takeing so long.

On a side note: I'm not too sure their interpretation of the law and what seems to be the standard in other ares is the same. The last time I had a amendment it was $3.00 per addition with no charge to remove from the same form....just seems to depend on who's doing the paperwork.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:01:45 AM EDT
[#9]
went through something similar back in the 70's. wait six months call. was told paperwork was lost. turns out the real reason was the issuing officer was propositioning the womenz. six months later and a whole new application plus fees I got mine.
Forgot was called up and ased to report to the sherriffs office. this was during work.Asked the boss jokingly if he would make bail.
About crapped myself when i announced who I was and three deputies surrounded me.
the sargent showed me a NCIC sheet and asked if it was me
Some guy in Greeley Co was wanted for burgarly and had a name similar to mine
after explaining I had never been across the Miss and the dude was hispanic 5'6"me cauc and 6'6"
after another set of prints I was let go
Funny now but back then
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:00:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Why would they ask you Girl Friend if it was OK. She isn't your wife and even if she lives with you that should not matter. Only people they ask are Family Members and the people you put down for reference.

went through something similar back in the 70's. wait six months call. was told paperwork was lost. turns out the real reason was the issuing officer was propositioning the womenz

Which women your wife of Girl Friend? I wish they did that to my wife. I would demand a Full Carry Permit if he wanted her.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:47:31 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
On a side note: I'm not too sure their interpretation of the law and what seems to be the standard in other ares is the same. The last time I had a amendment it was $3.00 per addition with no charge to remove from the same form....just seems to depend on who's doing the paperwork.

NYS law regulates the fees associated with pistol licenses. The current amendment fee is $3 for all transactions  processed at the same time. Unless a county has been granted a different fee schedule in the PL they cannot legally deviate from the state authorized fees. AFAIK only NYC, Suffolk and Nassau are authorized to use a different fee schedule then the rest of the state.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:02:49 AM EDT
[#12]
rkbar15,

In Orange County, the amendment fee is $5 for each gun removed or added, even if it occurs at the same.

Are you saying they are operating in violation of NYS law?  Interesting.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:30:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Refer the Dutchess County pistol division to the following opinion of the NYSAG.

www.oag.state.ny.us/lawyers/opinions/2005/informal/2005_7.html

"Your question concerns an interpretation of subdivision 14 of section 400.00 of the Penal Law, which governs the fee for amendments to firearm licenses. You have asked whether the County may charge the statutory fee of $3.00 for each proposed change to a firearms license that is contained in one application to amend the license, or whether the County may charge only one $3.00 fee for each amendment, regardless of the number of proposed changes to be made by the amendment. We conclude that Penal Law § 400.00(14) authorizes a fee of $3.00 for each amendment to a firearms license, even if the proposed amendment will result in more than one change to the license, such as the addition or cancellation of more than one weapon."
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:50:40 AM EDT
[#14]
So the county is wrong, but somebody just has to have the balls to challenge the law for $2.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:01:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Suffolk (at least the part that SCPD covers) is crying that $5 isn't nearly enough now that they have their long over due, expensive plastic imprinted cards.  Yeah.. why not. Make me pay for something I shouldn't even need, now make me pay even more because you bought into some over priced complex system.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:47:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
So the county is wrong, but somebody just has to have the balls to challenge the law for $2.

The county is required to be in compliance with the licensing law the same as you and I are required to comply with it.

Send a letter to the county attorney (not the DA), cite the NYAG opinion and ask that he look into the matter.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:51:26 PM EDT
[#17]
The only thing is, I worry about a backlash.  

I mean, the last time I bought a handgun, I left the dealer and dropped off my amendment at the clerk's office the same day.  Precisely 7 days later, my amended license was in my mailbox and I picked up my new gun.  That was outstanding turnaround time, I feel.

I'm afraid if I cause them any problems, my next encounter will be seriously delayed, even if I save myself a couple of bucks, not worth it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 5:20:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The county is required to be in compliance with the licensing law the same as you and I are required to comply with it.

Send a letter to the county attorney (not the DA), cite the NYAG opinion and ask that he look into the matter.

Boy oh boy am I going to become un-popular with some folks in the near future.
They routinely spank me for $3.00 for each line on an amendment form, and if ther're getting me, their getting all the soldiers who come to Ft. Drum with multiple handguns....while back a dentist arrived and had ~13 handguns, what a expensove fiasco he went thru!
The term "absolute power corrupts absolutely" knew exactly what he was talking about. These folks get entrenched into a job that they can't be removed from and there's little fear of recourse.  It really PO's me knowing that soemones life history can be pulled and reviewed in a week or two and that applications are processed in batches, then blames the delays on the Judge when often times the signature is done for the judge.
I suppose it's easy to sit back and bitch about the system, but then again that's about all we can really do about it. Too bad they don't have to run for the office...ironically the DMV (which used to be one of the worst places to interface with government) has improved since folks said to get your shit together and make it faster/easier or you'll be looking for another job after the election. YMMV
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top