Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2006 11:51:49 PM EDT
I live a a county that really sucks when it come to full carry permits.  They only give out restricted permits.  Which is that you can only have them at a target range or for hunting reasons.  In a car they have to be locked up and you can't carry they counseled.  I wanted to know if anyone has any ideas on how to get a full carry permit that would allow me to carry it at all times?  Any suggestions would help.

Thanks
Newman
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:18:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Here in Nassau County (good guess?) unless you own and run a business involving large amounts of cash, or are a LEO, fuhgettaboutit.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 3:40:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Get some NRA pistol safety courses under your belt, then go before one of the approving judges to appeal for a change of your administrative status.

Did you state Personal Protection on your original application as one of the reasons why you wanted a pistol permit?

Also, have you asked the sheriff's office what they recommend as the procedure? I made a point to get on first-name basis with the lady who processes all licenses and pistol receipts. She has been very helpful.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:24:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Newman, what county are you in?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:25:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
In a car they have to be locked up and you can't carry they counseled.  

Unless you have a NYC target permit that is incorrect. Is this what your pistol licensing agency has told you?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:21:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Some judges just will not budge unless you are one of the occupations actually listed in the law.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:27:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I live in upstate in Chenango county.  There is only one judge here that grants permits and hes an SOB when it comes to this.  I have seen one of the resrited permits he gives out and printed on the back of the permit it says " When transporting any pistol must be locked."  If that BS I will get in contact with the state and ask if he can do this.  He doesn't care about any course you may have takin.  When you get the pistol permit application it has a cover letter on it that says under no circumstances will full carry permits be given out.

Thanks for the help so far guys.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:31:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Go rent a room for 6 months in a better county and claim it as your residence or if you have a friend in a better county have your name put on the electric bill and claim you rent his house.

Might not be the most honest but who says all laws are right?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:11:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
 If that BS I will get in contact with the state and ask if he can do this.  He doesn't care about any course you may have takin.  When you get the pistol permit application it has a cover letter on it that says under no circumstances will full carry permits be given out.

Already been through court and they said the judges can put any overstamp they want on the permit.

Guys, the "secret" here is to make a judges gun stance an issue when they run for election. I don't EVER hear a judges views on guns made an issue in any election, yet these people routinely get re-elected. A gun-friendly judge will be more likely to issue unrestricted permits, or at least consider training courses as grounds for unrestricting permits.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:40:58 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Guys, the "secret" here is to make a judges gun stance an issue when they run for election. I don't EVER hear a judges views on guns made an issue in any election, yet these people routinely get re-elected. A gun-friendly judge will be more likely to issue unrestricted permits, or at least consider training courses as grounds for unrestricting permits.

AMEN! The way to win back our second amendment rights is to win them at the polls.  Start by writing thoughtful  letters to all of the local papers covered by this judge's jurisdiction. Make sure everyone is aware of who the anti-gunners are, and how a restrictive pistol stance actually endangers society.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:29:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I've never heard of a judge in NY placing this type of restriction on a pistol license. Not even the anti-gun counties of Nassau and Suffolk where the permits are issued by the Police Commissioner have tried to get away with this type of restriction.

The NYS Court of Appeals have given judges discretion in placing administrative restrictions on licenses but this restriction may go beyond the judges authority.

I would contact the NYSRPA and SCOPE and see if they are willing to provide an attorney to litigate this matter.

Like tc556 said  you should vote this turkey out of office.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:12:14 PM EDT
[#11]
The only problem with contacting any lawyers for help is that the judge that issues the pistol permits is the highest offical in the county.  He's not one you want to piss off.  I'm nt sure if Im ready to have to be in his radar.  I'm not sure how to handle it with out taking the blunt of his anger.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:03:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
 If that BS I will get in contact with the state and ask if he can do this.  He doesn't care about any course you may have takin.  When you get the pistol permit application it has a cover letter on it that says under no circumstances will full carry permits be given out.

Already been through court and they said the judges can put any overstamp they want on the permit.

shit, around here the judges run unopposed, there will be just enough people to fill all the vacant spots, and they get cross endorsed by parties that should have opoosing views
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:05:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Do you have to be a lawyer to run for a Judgeship?

What qualifications are needed. If none run for office.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 8:37:54 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The only problem with contacting any lawyers for help is that the judge that issues the pistol permits is the highest offical in the county.  He's not one you want to piss off.  I'm nt sure if Im ready to have to be in his radar.  I'm not sure how to handle it with out taking the blunt of his anger.

Contacting SCOPE and the NYSRPA or an attorney will not get you on anyones radar screen. Your choices are to fight it, accept it or move.

County court judges get there pee-pees spanked by higher courts all the time. I really urge you to explore your legal options before accepting defeat.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:23:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks rkbar15 I will get in conntact with a lawyer and see what he feels.
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 1:24:44 PM EDT
[#16]
You're kidding me, right? Westchester and Putnem counties both restrict licences. Westchester to the point of acting like NYC making you lock the gun up (i.e. no carry) to and from the range. Putnam county started restricting licenses about 10 years ago when the then county sherrif deceded he didn't like the common folk carrying. Take a look at packing.org at all the counties where you can't get an unrestricted license and then tell me it dosen't happen. The NRA, NYSRPA, and SCOPE all know this goes on, but it's been tried and lost numerous times. County judges have almost unlimited authority to restrict your pistol license.

Quoted:
I've never heard of a judge in NY placing this type of restriction on a pistol license. Not even the anti-gun counties of Nassau and Suffolk where the permits are issued by the Police Commissioner have tried to get away with this type of restriction.

The NYS Court of Appeals have given judges discretion in placing administrative restrictions on licenses but this restriction may go beyond the judges authority.

I would contact the NYSRPA and SCOPE and see if they are willing to provide an attorney to litigate this matter.

Link Posted: 3/26/2006 4:17:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
You're kidding me, right? Westchester and Putnem counties both restrict licences. Westchester to the point of acting like NYC making you lock the gun up (i.e. no carry) to and from the range. Putnam county started restricting licenses about 10 years ago when the then county sherrif deceded he didn't like the common folk carrying. Take a look at packing.org at all the counties where you can't get an unrestricted license and then tell me it dosen't happen. The NRA, NYSRPA, and SCOPE all know this goes on, but it's been tried and lost numerous times. County judges have almost unlimited authority to restrict your pistol license.

Quoted:

I was only referring to a restriction that a concealed carry licensee be restricted to carrying an unloaded handgun. AFAIK Westchester County places no such restriction on pistol licenses. I do not believe this type of restriction is within the discretion of a licensing officer to place on a concealed carry pistol license.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 6:41:17 PM EDT
[#18]
For the past few years Westchester has been issuing a letter with their license that states that the licensee must transport the pistol to and from the range unloaded and locked in a container. They do not put this restriction on the license itself. Remember that none of the standard restrictions on carry, ie. no handguns in schools, courts, or the capitol plaza is listed anywhere on a NYS pistol license, but they exist none the less. I think this is more than a little fast and loose and ripe for a court challenge, but if the courts uphold the restriction then it becomes case law. Since I don't live in Westchester I'm leaving the issue up to those who do.  

Quoted:
I was only referring to a restriction that a concealed carry licensee be restricted to carrying an unloaded handgun. AFAIK Westchester County places no such restriction on pistol licenses. I do not believe this type of restriction is within the discretion of a licensing officer to place on a concealed carry pistol license.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top