Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2006 3:38:08 PM EDT
Can you guys help me? I'm a PA resident dating a Jersey girl. In the process of "bonding"(...that's bonding NOT BONDAGE) with her father, he mentioned that he likes guns and wants to go with me to a gun show some time. I figured we could go to a show in Jersey, since he mentioned some items he'd be interested in..I think he's interested in a six-shooter. Now, he presumably knows about Jersey laws...but I'm not 100% sure. If/when we go, I'd like to know the laws myself, so that we can keep him well within the confines of Jersey laws. Can you guys point me to some good resources?

Thanks,
Mickey
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:20:57 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll have to bond with your prospective father-in-law at a PA gun show CAUSE THERE AIN'T NONE IN JERSEY!  Valley Forge just happened a couple of weeks ago, but there's one coming up at the Armory in Northeast Philly soon. Not sure of the exact dates.

As a NJ resident in want of a handgun, he needs to go to his local police dept and apply for a Pistol Purchase Permit. One permit per gun, apply for up to five (I think) at the same time. Time frame, anywhere from 30 days till the cows come home, depending on his local PD, his references, and the phase of the 3rd moon of Saturn (j/k about Saturn, but it sure seems that way sometimes)

If he wants to buy a rifle or shotgun, he needs to apply (same place, same paperwork, same shit) for a Firearms ID Card.

As far as NJ gun laws go, you can check out this reference page on the NJ Hometown site.

And good luck with your Jersey girl, Mickey!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:33:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Pick his butt up and take HIM to PA gun shows.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:56:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info guys. I wasn't sure if there were shows in NJ or not.  I thought he had to get a permit for each type of gun he buys. I think he said, "you just have to take 'em down to the PD and show 'em".  A BIGthanks for the weath of advice and great link  from njJoniGuy!

Regards,
Mickey

P.S. I now know why the saying, "often wrong but never in doubt" has bee used to describe a "Jersey Girl"...for they are VERY STRONG willed.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:30:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
As a NJ resident in want of a handgun, he needs to go to his local police dept and apply for a Pistol Purchase Permit. One permit per gun, apply for up to five (I think) at the same time. Time frame, anywhere from 30 days till the cows come home, depending on his local PD, his references, and the phase of the 3rd moon of Saturn (j/k about Saturn, but it sure seems that way sometimes) once you have an FID card (see below) and a Pistol Purchase Permit, you can buy a single handgun per permit.  each time you want to purchase a handgun, you must apply for a Pistol Purchase Permit.  note that the Pistol Purchase Permit has a time limit, IIRC it is 90 days, for you to purchase the handgun.  once it expires, it is a worthless piece of paper and can not be used for a handgun buy.  you can not buy and take possession of a handgun out of state; it must be shipped to a NJ FFL, who in turn will require seeing your FID and a non-expired Pistol Purchase Permit.

Quoted:
If he wants to buy a rifle or shotgun, he needs to apply (same place, same paperwork, same shit) for a Firearms ID Card.  once you have an FID card you can buy rifles or shotguns via any FFL/dealer in NJ, and also out of state (say for example in PA) as well.

just clarifying some things above.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 3/22/2006 5:52:43 AM EDT
[#5]
AR-jedi,

It is my understanding that a NJ Firearms ID Card is NOT necessary when redeeming an approved NJ Pistol Purchase Permit. FID is strictly for purchase and transport of LONG ARMS.

Anyone have info to the contrary?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:06:46 AM EDT
[#6]
+1  

No FID ever needed for a handgun purchase.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:15:31 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
P.S. I now know why the saying, "often wrong but never in doubt" has bee used to describe a "Jersey Girl"...for they are VERY STRONG willed.  

I married a Jersey Girl...It's something I'm reminded of every day
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 10:49:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info guys. I wasn't sure if there were shows in NJ or not.  I thought he had to get a permit for each type of gun he buys. I think he said, "you just have to take 'em down to the PD and show 'em".  A BIGthanks for the weath of advice and great link  from njJoniGuy!

In Jersey that'd be a good way to get shot.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 1:57:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Evan Nappen has a book on NJ gun laws
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:40:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Evan Nappen's book is really good, he has a DVD out too about the atrocity that is NJ gun law.

The NJSP as odd as it sounds, used to be extremely helpful in matters of firearm legality (under the SAW ban), they even had info regarding the Match Target Colts & the Springfield M1As. Adter the AWB sunset, the NJSP took down all of their info and basically said "don't call us if you need help we aren't lawyers". Once again proving that the NJSP & governing officials want to make gun law as ambiguous and confusing as possible.

He'll need his FID card if he wants to by any ammunition in the state... they log all the sales of handgun ammo...
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:37:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
He'll need his FID card if he wants to by any ammunition in the state

NO NO NO NO NO

To buy ammo that can be used in a handgun, you need to be 21
To buy any other NJ legal ammo, you need to be 18
No Firearms ID card is required by NJ law to buy ammo, only proof of age.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top