Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2006 7:31:10 AM EDT
I've decided that I need a safe.  I was wondering where you guys have bought yours?  I'm in Suffolk County and am willing to travel for the right safe/deal.  Also, I was curious on your opinions on electronic locks vs. the old school combination types which seem more sturdy.  Is it true that an electronic keypad lock can be damaged to the extent that even the owner will fail to get it open?  It seems to make sence.   I did a search, but didn't come up with all that much.
1000.00 give or take is about my limit.
Thanks for your time,
Tony
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:42:52 AM EDT
[#1]
You could go to Dicks on Long Island or if you could try Hunter Sports. Don't know what size your looking for but I would stick with a old fashion knob instead of the key pad.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:58:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know about NY, but if you buy it in NJ, the normal 6% sales tax is waived

So, on a $1000 safe, you could save yourself $60+

Freight, however, is another story
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:16:44 AM EDT
[#3]
How secure do you want your guns to be?  Fire and burglar resistant?

I would evaluate your level of protection and work backwards from there, you might find a Walmart or Costco variant will do the job.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:11:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the suggestions guys.  I figure for 1k I should be able to get myself something that offers some measure of fire protection as well as protect my valuables against your ordinary run of the mill household burguler thug.  I wouldn't expect it to defeat a professional safe opener, however a pro of such abilities shouldn't be wasting his time with me anyway.
Edpmedic, where's Hunter Sports located?
NJJoniguy, thanks for the heads up on that, I had no idea.
Tony
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:33:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Hunter Sports is Located @

4166 Sunrise Highway, Massapequa, NY 516-779-7923

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:42:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks edpmedic,
I'll try and get down there this w/e.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:35:02 PM EDT
[#7]
You can read up on safe locks herewww.sargentandgreenleaf.com/prod.php

I'm partial to mechanical locks as I consider them to be more reliable, but that is just my personal preference. Some of the lower priced safes come with crappy, non-rated locks. Know what to look for and avoid those!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:36:32 PM EDT
[#8]
apf383 I got my safe from COSTCO via their website.  I was delievered right to my driveway.  Shipping was included in the price.  They have a lot of choices check out the link.  The safe I got is 30 cu ft and was $999 shipped.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:41:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Just remembered, the Long Island Shooting Center has a variety of safes on display in their store.

LISC
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:28:06 AM EDT
[#10]
P400 , thanks for the heads up on the lock info.  I've checked out LISC as I go there a couple of times per month to shoot.

JohnLINY, I live next to Costco in Lake Grove and haven't seen any there, however I'll check out the site.  You sound satisifed with your purchase from them. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:50:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I was at Dicks in Rosevelt Field Mall last week. They had a Stack-on 36 gun fire-safe on sale for $799.99. It was a great deal. the one that was on the sales floor had the lock and handles removed and they claimed it was damaged. I asked the guy to get me a price on it cause I would have installed a new lock on it and walked away with a super deal but the Mgr said they were sending it back to Stack-on for repairs. Definately worth stopping in and checking out there selection
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 6:51:21 AM EDT
[#12]
For that matter... Lowes used to stock a couplesmall to medium gunsafes, but I don't recall seeing them there anymore either?
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:08:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
P400 , thanks for the heads up on the lock info.  I've checked out LISC as I go there a couple of times per month to shoot.

JohnLINY, I live next to Costco in Lake Grove and haven't seen any there, however I'll check out the site.  You sound satisifed with your purchase from them. Thanks.

apf383 the only warehouse club that I have seen that has safes by us is SAM's Club in Medford.  They usually have a good sized Winchester safe for around $650.  The great thing about Costco is that the price includes delievery right to your driveway.  Trying to get a 600lb + safe into the back of my truck didn't sound like a whole lot of fun.  The safe came in about 3 weeks and they put it right in front of my garage door.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:27:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I was looking at the numerous models that Costco had to offer, however I don't believe I saw one that offered a mechanical combination lock rather than an electronic lock.  For some reason I believe the old style mechanical combo lock would be able to stand more of a beating than an electronic key pad, therefore remaing more secure.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 3:11:16 PM EDT
[#15]
The bolt work inside the door of the safe is what keeps the bad guys out. The lock whether electronic or mechanical operates the lock body which in turn operates the bolt work. A thief who tries to get into a gunsafe needs 1 of 2 things to accomplish that. He needs to know what lock body is inside the safe and where the re-lock is to drill them out and he is in the safe, Or alot of time and tools to cut open the safe. weakest part of the safe is the floor if they tip it over a carborundum blade on a circular saw will get you in that safe. Well maybe a few blades.    
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:26:36 PM EDT
[#16]
mag162,
Very informative, do you know if the electronic mechanism could be damaged to the point where the owner would be denied access.  It would seem to me the only advantage to an electronic lock w/ keypad would be speed of operation.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#17]
That is the only plus to the digital dial "Speed". All the safe intrusions that I've responded to has had the dial knocked off, both digital and mechanical. It basically renders the lock body inside the safe inoperable from the outside. The safe must then be drilled open.
Get a Fire-safe .with a combo dial cuase its cheaper and make sure you bolt it down and you will be fine. By the way Cannon safes have a lifetime warantee and lifetime locksmith service for failure, and no I'm not a cannon dealer!! LOL I have a cheaper Sentry fire safe from Lowes that is bolted down    
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:54:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:05:42 AM EDT
[#19]
carbide LOL
Thats a nice saw but if you saw open a safe its useless afterwards. Unless you happen to know someone who might be an Ironworker who might be able to weld it up for you again
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:02:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:03:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought a safe from Dick's not too long ago.  Hauled it back myself and had four neighbors help me get the thing into the house.

Rule of thumb (for me anyway) - take the amount of guns the safe is avertised to hold, and divide by two when filling it with predominately black rifles.  Those pesty pistol grips get in the way of guns in the next row!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 1:12:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top