Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2006 12:12:21 PM EDT
I now have a storefront in NY. Queens actually and I keep reading about headaches and rip-offs when tryin to get the transfers done. Is it worth even looking into getting or should I not even bother? I'm a licensed locksmith in an established shop in Astoria, what do you guys think?  
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:08:46 PM EDT
[#1]
You should carefully consider how much you want to do this.

Generally speaking, the licensing requirements in NYC are onerous and expensive to comply with.  In addition, it will bring the NYPD into your place of business quite frequently for inspections.   You will also be subject to various anti-theft requirements, including a safe (where all handguns must be locked in each night).

That being said, it's not impossible to do, just difficult, and you've already done the hard part which is to obtain a storefront.  Two things you want to read before you think of doing this are Section 10-302 of the NYC Administrative Code (located here) and the related Title 38 Rules & Regulations published by the NYPD (located here).  Also bear in mind you will be dealing with the NYSP as well as the NYPD.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:24:57 PM EDT
[#2]
i think if your shop was outside of the City , it would be fairly easy headache wise.....

ive always wanted to gey my own FFL   but finding a store front a reasonable rent is next to impossible... what is great in your case is you have a existing businesss.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 6:15:18 PM EDT
[#3]
What are the requirements for outside of the city.  Say Rockland, Orange, Westchester?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 5:54:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Outside of NYC in addition to the Federal/State licensing requirements you may also need a county business license to operate. If you intend on dealing in handguns you will also need a NYS Handgun Dealers license. If you are outside of NYC call your county clerks office and they should be able to tell you what licenses are required.

With all the associated expenses involved you would have to do quite a few transfers every month just to break even.  

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:31:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I am in Niagara county and was looking into getting a 01FFL.  

$200 for the 01FFL.  Need to have this before you can apply for the NY pistol license.  

I was told by my county permit clerk it is a $100 for the pistol license and it is the same proceedure here as getting a personal pistol permit.  Takes about a year to get the NY pistol license.

With a 01FFL dealers license you need a store front or properly zoned premises to operate a business.  Must have posted business hours.

If you do business as a Gunsmith there is NO requirement for posted regular hours.  You can operate on a per appointment basis.  You still have a 01FFL so you buy and sell like any other dealer.

Either way you need to keep financial records and have a business license and tax ID number.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:06:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:29:02 AM EDT
[#7]
The fee in New York City is only $50, but you'll still have to pay the $200 to the fed for the FFL -- IIRC that drops to $60 for renewals.  That's per 3 years, by the way, so it's really $66 per year.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:31:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:09:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I am in Niagara county and was looking into getting a 01FFL.  

$200 for the 01FFL.  Need to have this before you can apply for the NY pistol license.  

I was told by my county permit clerk it is a $100 for the pistol license and it is the same proceedure here as getting a personal pistol permit.  Takes about a year to get the NY pistol license.

With a 01FFL dealers license you need a store front or properly zoned premises to operate a business.  Must have posted business hours.

If you do business as a Gunsmith there is NO requirement for posted regular hours.  You can operate on a per appointment basis.  You still have a 01FFL so you buy and sell like any other dealer.

Either way you need to keep financial records and have a business license and tax ID number.

What are the requirements for a Gunsmith.  Do you need a certificate from some school saying you are?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:20:30 AM EDT
[#10]
I say go for it also....

I am still fighting to do it in Baldwin and wish I had money to open a store. I finally figured to just get my C&R FFL and then go to the next step for a 01FFL..
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:45:04 PM EDT
[#11]
No special training cert. needed that I am aware of.  Just a diff. business license.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 7:15:13 PM EDT
[#12]

What are the requirements for a Gunsmith. Do you need a certificate from some school saying you are?

Just to say your a gun smith to get a FFL is not a good thing to do. I mean would you want someone working on your rifle or pistol and have no formal training?

Even watching AGI tapes does not make a Gun Smith. I myself am a mechanic, machinist and tool & die making experience. I do work on certain stuff but am no way a Gun Smith. I tell people what my limitations are but if I was to get a FFL based on being a Gun Smith I would like to go to a certified gun smith school.

Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:30:19 AM EDT
[#13]
I too am considering my FFL, being a gunsmith at Remington, and the fact that what I see going into the wharehouse, some of those guns are going to need my help!!!LOL!

I have been thinking about starting my own buisness for a while, and now that I'm divorced, it seems it's the right time to do something I want.

So if any of you guys REALLY want to see what your M700's are capiable of doing, stay tuned...

I'm the 3rd generation to have worked at Remington, My Granddad, and Dad were both CUSTOM SHOP  employees.

I think since my dad is semi-retired now, he might even join me in the shop from time to time.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 6:19:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Adirondack1

Now that sounds like a plan...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top