Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2006 11:36:20 AM EDT
A stripped AR-15 lower with the "Government Use Only" rollmarks arent illegal correct? Of course to be assembled in the neutered way that NY allows. I cant find anything in PEN ARTICLE 265 or ARTICLE 400 that prohibits it. Anywhere else to look?

I realise it isnt the wisest of ideas but hey collectable value and I am in a very rural place. I was thinking of calling the state police just to get an opinion but their usual policy is "if we don't know it's illegal" or they put you on hold and forget you exist 0_o

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:50:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been looking into this myself. I was told at Liberty Gun Shop that it wasn't, as long as it didnt have evil features on it then it was ok, I talked to another dealer and he said if that were the case to just put airsoft on it and mail it direct but he said he didnt know one way or the other and never heard of anything. I have been doing research on this and if you find anything please post as I will do the same. If any officers wish to get involved please do so.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:07:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Technically it is legal.  It's not smart though because most cops/authority figures probably don't know how to tell the difference between preban and postban with the exception of a folding stock maybe.  Chances are if a cop sees a gun that is marked "law enforcement or military use only" in the hands of a civilian, they will automatically think it's illegal and you will be arrested.  Is the collector value really worth that hassle? The leo marked lower novelty only applies to guns with the evil features, IMO.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 1:20:21 PM EDT
[#3]
AFAIK as long as it isn't marked "Colt AR-15" and was manufactured after 09-13-1994 the restricted markings have no special meaning in NY.  That said you are just asking for trouble for being in possession of one.

As an individual there is no agency in NY that will give you legal advice as it pertains to the NY AWB. It's been over five years since the NY AWB went into effect. None of the agencies (NYSP, DCJS or the NYAG) have even bothered to publish a simple FAQ to use as a guide to help determine what is or isn't legal in NY.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:05:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
AFAIK as long as it isn't marked "Colt AR-15" and was manufactured after 09-13-1994 the restricted markings have no special meaning in NY.  That said you are just asking for trouble for being in possession of one.

As an individual there is no agency in NY that will give you legal advice as it pertains to the NY AWB. It's been over five years since the NY AWB went into effect. None of the agencies (NYSP, DCJS or the NYAG) have even bothered to publish a simple FAQ to use as a guide to help determine what is or isn't legal in NY.

Figured as much. I did some calling; the local troop HQ said essentially the same thing, the nearest NYAG branch said they couldn't help in as many words.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:06:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By rkbar15

To your knowledge, will they answer written requests for info or do they flat out refuse to respond to such queries?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top