Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2006 6:30:56 PM EDT
Another outstanding Chris Fry training module was completed today with 8 folks attending, including Adirondack1, Aimless, Ed Sr., Prambo, and myself. Thankfully this was a scheduled INDOOR event as the weather outside was miserable.

4 of us who attended our December training module started early. In December, we drilled weapons retention (blue guns) with our training partner attempting to gain control of the gun. Its no fun when a determined opponent is trying to obtain your holstered firearm. Chris showed us some simple blocks/strikes to retain control. We then did live-fire drills at point blank range, with your forehead literally touching the cardboard target. This is some pretty wild stuff when first experienced.  

The concept is your adversary is at point blank/contact range and engaging you, either trying to strike you, drawing a knife, or going for a gun in a lethal force confrontation.

One technique is to raise your support hand up, elbow out-head+ level, and your hand sweeping back over the side of your head to protect it from any strikes. Your support hand may also be placed elbow out/up, your hand locked back against your throat-nicely covering your lowered head/throat from strikes-and also positioning your hand for possible strikes against your opponent if needed. Also important, this positioning keeps your hand out of the line of fire.

Your strong hand draws your pistol-arm in close and elbow pointed high. This places your muzzle downward, effectively striking the target in the pelvic girdle/groin area. This is better witnessed in person than my feeble attempt at describing it-but it is effective at placing rounds on target in extreme close contact. It is safe when properly executed. Best to try this with an experienced person showing you how first, however

We did a few drills today using airsoft, with your partner/adversary attacking you. You can effectively use the elbow up/out-hand locked against your throat as a striking tool, leaning into your foe and pushing him back, gaining time to draw your pistol and shooting him. Ideally, your elbow is pushed into the adversary's throat. Believe me when I say you can easily be pushed backward when a determined person is pushing his elbow against your throat. Its all about stance, balance, and momentum. You want momentum on YOUR side.

After these drills were finishing up, the rest of the class arrived. Chris Fry had about a 30 minute presentation on the day's materials-"defeating unarmed adversaries." The objectives are developing the proper mindset, skills, and knowledge intended to improve a student's chances of WINNING a lethal force confrontation.

Chris touched on awareness and the 4 Ds of criminal intent ( a concept he attributed to Geoff Thompson).  What should you observe when a person approached you? How is he acting? Nervous, facial tics, grooming? Where are his hands? How should you react? Physical barriers? Verbal barriers? This is a good one. "Hey man, stop right there!" Or "Hey man, stop right FUCKING there!" Criminals understand profanity. Best to think about this ahead of time. Criminals might work in packs-move off-line, circular step to check your six.

A lot of material was covered!Quite an interesting lecture, and discussion within the class, including some legal aspects of lethal force in NY. Sometimes having a lawyer in your shooting group ain't all bad

The main physical portion of the class included learning a series of simple yet extremely effective open hand strikes, a core set of skills that work on a majority of people a majority of the time. We had done some of these strikes in earlier workshops.

Hands up in a fighting stance if your foe advances, lean forward, using a "drop step" to add FORCE to your strike. We drilled an Axe hand, tiger claw, and chin jab. These strikes are aimed at the facial area-from the throat to the nose (from a frontal assault). We then did a series of strikes, and lastly a knee strike to the ol' cohones.

These strikes are essentially WWII hand-to-hand field combatives. They were effective then and now! Try pushing up on your chin and nose with your palm. What happens to your head? Imagine a 200lb determined man striking you there with a tiger claw. Not a pretty picture.

We each had a partner. Ed Sr and I paired off (amazingly, I can still type, but the ibuprofen has set in...). We did the drills first with our partner SLOWLY with no real contact to gain some proficiency with the movement. Later, we used shields, pads, and helmets for "full" but still limited contact. Ed and I also enjoyed striking a Spar-Pro training dummy. I think this is my next training item purchase. We beat the hell out of him!

Towards the end, Chris set up 3 stimulating drills. First, he made me and Ed put on training masks. We were the bad guys. When we made an attempt to strike our other class mates, they were to tiger claw /axe us. We could use dialog to engage them and try to get close. Funny how all the guys wanted to get in my line and beat the hell out of me

The second, At the word "GO" you strike a pad that Chris is holding, 2 tiger claws and a knee. You do this while 2 other guys off to the side are striking you with pads, pushing you off balance.  

The final drill was standing in a corner, a foot or so out---eyes closed. The drill starts when you are pushed back into the wall, a blind-side, if you will. You are then to engage the pads, using the strikes we learned, and pushing the attacker back. It wasn't pretty, but damned interesting.

All in all, an amazing amount of material in about 5+ hours. The course concluded with a round-table discussion of the class content.

The PFC/MDTS doctrine of training is integrating unarmed, edged, and firearms in a series of interactive defensive skill sets.  If you are serious about self-defense, this is some fantastic training in CNY. And ridiculously inexpensive-though I hope Fry doesn't read this!

Our next training module in March will focus on edged weapons. Did I mention knives scare the hell out of me?

We will then get back to firearms in April and May, including some force on force drills. Steve Krystek and PFC will be coming to CNY in June for  a 2 day class. This will be intense. Looking forward to it!

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:20:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:45:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Believe me,you can ALWAYS learn something,and if you already know everything ,you can unload  some anger on the dummy!

Ummm, the Spar Pro?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:37:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:01:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Sorry, no. I know guys like to see pictures, but we were more focused on the actual training.

We may take some at the next module, and actually had a student take some and post them on his website (the martialist, http://www.paxbaculum.com), but you have to be a member to see the thread/pictures now.

I sent Tony an IM about the June PFC class. It might be something you guys would find of interest.

PFC

June 10 - 11, Fighting With Firearms GEN-2; Movement Under Fire , Skaneateles, New York. $325.00. The latest incarnation of this constantly evolving program highlights individual movement strategies, tactics and techniques designed to give you the edge during a gunfight. The Fighting with Firearms Training Series addresses two major concepts - the universal applications of both handgun and carbine weapon systems, and fighting with those weapon systems under all conditions and circumstances. Bring your handgun, bring your carbine, or bring and use both. The focus of this training is on the operator, not the tool. Topics covered in this course include a review of all GEN-1 FwF concepts and skill-sets, Reactive Movement techniques, concepts of displacement, engaging threats 360-degrees while vacating the line of attack, Traveling Movement techniques & tempos, shooting-on-the-move, deliberate vs. dynamic operating modes, tactical movement to cover, incorporating movement during After-Action Drills, performing combative manipulations on the move, reactive movement on the move, problem-solving crisis scenarios with aggressive movement, and much more. This course will also feature MORE training in handgun and long-gun combatives as well as a SPECIAL INTRODUCTION TO LOW-LIGHT/INDOOR COMBAT. If you’re ready for high-intensity reality-based firearms training, do not miss this course. Completion of a ‘basic-level’ (or higher) firearms course of instruction through PFC or other credible training provider is the minimum prerequisite for this training. Registration deadline is May 19, 2006. For more information or to register, contact PFC: [email protected]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:20:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds good..I was going to do it but glad I didn't since I would be in a Hospital bed in traction from what you guys are saying.....I should have gone just to be with you guys and BS afterwards.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:36:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Sounds good..I was going to do it but glad I didn't since I would be in a Hospital bed in traction from what you guys are saying.....I should have gone just to be with you guys and BS afterwards.

No traction required for this level of training! Although I am sure a few guys are a little sore today. I personally felt 100% today-actually better than normal after the training/exercise yesterday.

The beauty of these techniques is that you don't have to be Chuck Norris to effectively use them. Most of us taking these classes are 40+. I'm not quite there but will be soon enough.

Several of us went out to dinner afterwards. Always fun to BS with friends.

The only downside for you LI guys is the drive time, longer than the actual training time for these workshops The June class is a whole different kettle of fish. You DO need some prior training to enroll in this course as it is advanced. You are already expected to be able to safely and effectively operate your equipment. It is fast paced!

Best to email Chris Fry or Steve Krystek in you are interested in attending.

We CNY locals are certainly spoiled/lucky to have this opportunity in our backyard.

I should point out if you could get enough LI guys together, committed, and a location, Chris and Steve might be willing to go there. It is WELL worth it!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:12:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:21:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm glad nobody mentioned the PENGUIN almost knocking me on my ass!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top