Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/13/2006 10:56:01 AM EDT
So im having a SA-2000M AK transfered to me at a local place (near my college town)...and the dealer in Mississippi tells me have my local FFL call him up and confirm the shipment, I do exactly that....my friend in Mississippi calls me up and tells me my local dealer is calling the ATF on the rifle, as he doesnt know if its legal or not...even though I described it to him and told him its NY-legal.

Why my dealer called up the ATF and not state police or pistol permit bureau, I dont know...as the ATF cant advise him on state law (officially). Just more headaches and delays on the transfer now....what a pain in the @$$....

The local FFL dealer is like 80 years old with a hearing problem, family run business for the past like 50-60 years, by himself...
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:33:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:35:36 AM EDT
[#2]
GET A NEW FFL ASAP!  Sounds like he is a few fries short of a Happy Meal these days.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:44:26 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Wonderful

edit-he's calling the ATF because he's too stupid to know better.

basically...this sucks.  I have another rifle inbound to him too.. a G3 clone rifle (Federal Arms FA-91)...when he sees a EBR come in, he will probally soil his depends...just what I need.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:46:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I feel your pain, Dieter.  I think the same thing happened to me... I bought an H&K SL8-1 modified to look like a G36 from a guy in NJ, complete with fixed skeleton stock, pistol grip, and dual optics, and it is taking forever to transfer.   This thing is completely NY legal, a plain barrel without a flash suppressor, bayo lug, or grenade ring, no collapsing stock... one dealer already told me they wouldn't transfer it (well, Gander Mtn., they were the closest and the cheapest to transfer with but wouldn't do it, said the rifle was an "assault class" firearm) so now I'm waiting well into my second week with the second FFL.

It's coming from friggin Jersey!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:55:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I feel your pain, Dieter.  I think the same thing happened to me... I bought an H&K SL8-1 modified to look like a G36 from a guy in NJ, complete with fixed skeleton stock, pistol grip, and dual optics, and it is taking forever to transfer.   This thing is completely NY legal, a plain barrel without a flash suppressor, bayo lug, or grenade ring, no collapsing stock... one dealer already told me they wouldn't transfer it (well, Gander Mtn., they were the closest and the cheapest to transfer with but wouldn't do it, said the rifle was an "assault class" firearm) so now I'm waiting well into my second week with the second FFL.

It's coming from friggin Jersey!

wow..thats really bad too...

I really want to get out of here and move someplace a bit more.."friendly"...and warm
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:55:34 PM EDT
[#6]
yep, i asked gander mountain if they would do a FFL transfer for me, they said that they would do it as long as it was a "sporting rifle", no "military-type" guns "like a SKS or M1A".

which aren't even legally considered to be "assault weapons"...
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:15:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Why my dealer called up the ATF and not state police or pistol permit bureau, I dont know...as the ATF cant advise him on state law (officially).

My guess is the FFL thinks the rifle is illegal under Federal law.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:42:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:18:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I really want to get out of here and move someplace a bit more.."friendly"...and warm hr

Shovelling is good for you...

I find it hard to believe anything can be good for you when it is such a pain in the ass. Seriously Dieter, good luck with yours, and I hope the almighty ATF doesn't pay you a visit.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:34:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I really want to get out of here and move someplace a bit more.."friendly"...and warm

I find it hard to believe anything can be good for you when it is such a pain in the ass.

Seriously Dieter, good luck with yours, and I hope the almighty ATF doesn't pay you a visit.

how and why would they visit...

the rifle is a STOCK configuration SA2000M rifle....
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:52:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:53:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:18:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I find it hard to believe anything can be good for you when it is such a pain in the ass.

Seriously Dieter, good luck with yours, and I hope the almighty ATF doesn't pay you a visit.

how and why would they visit...

the rifle is a STOCK configuration SA2000M rifle....

They won't, they'll say "Um there's no federal assault weapon ban anymore, but we can't give you advise on state law" and reassured by .gov, he will be happy.

Of course if your gun was illegal under NY state law he would be too stupid to know that the feds would not tell him that.

I'd find another ffl, old, inform or whatever, he's still trying to rat you out. Check gunsamerica, you can do a search for ffls that will do transfers there.

like I said, I have...ive dealt with like 4 FFLs locally, all have been shitty experiences..

ive had FFLs deny rifles being delivered, charing far more than stated for transfers, mess with my guns to check their legal (try to disassemble parts like removing muzzle nuts), and now this...

NY just is a shitty place to do business im beginning to think
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:43:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Where do you live in NY?
If you're  in UPSTATE CENTRAL NY I can suggest a good FFL that enjoys shooting EBR's as much as we do!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:46:05 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Where do you live in NY?
If you're  in UPSTATE CENTRAL NY I can suggest a good FFL that enjoys shooting EBR's as much as we do!

in near Albany...in Waterford..what about yourself?

please do tell...as I need to find a good FFL to deal with (and one that doesnt charge $30 for transfers preferably).  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:32:12 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Where do you live in NY?

please do tell...as I need to find a good FFL to deal with (and one that doesnt charge $30 for transfers preferably).  

Damn, I have a great FFL in Rochester that loves the black rifles and only charges $20 for a transfer.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:35:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Where do you live in NY?

Damn, I have a great FFL in Rochester that loves the black rifles and only charges $20 for a transfer.

what a tease

New Hampshire and Penn. look pretty good right about now
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:14:59 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
yep, i asked gander mountain if they would do a FFL transfer for me, they said that they would do it as long as it was a "sporting rifle", no "military-type" guns "like a SKS or M1A".

You are in Ithaca, right?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:46:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:34:41 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
As long as it is NYS AWB compliant, B&J Guns will handle the transfer at a cost of $20 for Team Members.  At least I believe that is still their rate for Team Members.

If it is a stock AK without a folding stock, flash hider or bayo lug, they will have no trouble handling the transfer and B&J is VERY EBR friendly.  They often have a stock of pre-ban ARs and AKs on hand.  Right now they happen to have a Valmet and some other goodies as well.

Give them a call, ask to speak to Brian or Vanessa and they can hook you up.

when im back at home for some time and I need a transfer ill do just that...

but right now im up at college 1.5 hrs from home, so im stuck with the local FFL dealers on this.

thanks for the info and suggestion...ive been looking for a good dealer to goto in my area
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:31:24 AM EDT
[#21]
now my dealer tells me (after I call him), that he really doesnt want to do this transfer (even though one of the rifles is inbound), as he is putting himself at risk and liable if they are illegal.  "there are so many regulations", "these are military style weapons, I dont deal with military style guns", among other things...

I told him ill have the state police call him up and confirm they are legal, after that he continued repeating what he said, then he suggested I have the transfer done through another gun dealer.  these dealers are useless, why they even have a FFL I dont know.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 11:59:03 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are in Ithaca, right?

yeah, but this was at the henrietta NY gander mountain (outside of rochester)
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 12:16:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Dieter1212,
   If he hasn't already told you, the FFL that Adirondack1 was talking about I am sure is Frank's in Marcy, just outside Utica. Maybe a little out of your way but makes for a nice Saturday trip, he is always a pleasure to deal with and is more than friendly when it comes to EBR's of any type, pretty good prices on cases of ammo and usually has a fair selection of jewels on the racks too, just not sure what his charge is for transfers, hope that this help's.    Sean.

His number and address:

Frank's Guns
9103 River Rd.
Marcy, NY. 13403
(315)-736-0062
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:12:56 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I see; if you need to do any transfers while in Ithaca, look me up. Certainly NOT afraid of "military rifles" here.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:16:38 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Dieter1212,
   If he hasn't already told you, the FFL that Adirondack1 was talking about I am sure is Frank's in Marcy, just outside Utica. Maybe a little out of your way but makes for a nice Saturday trip, he is always a pleasure to deal with and is more than friendly when it comes to EBR's of any type, pretty good prices on cases of ammo and usually has a fair selection of jewels on the racks too, just not sure what his charge is for transfers, hope that this help's.    Sean.

His number and address:

Frank's Guns
9103 River Rd.
Marcy, NY. 13403
(315)-736-0062

thanks for the contact info...

Im going now through Lynn's Guns, over in Davenport....about a 25 minute trip for me..

they are pretty layed back and accepting of EBRs, so im going there
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:23:29 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I see; if you need to do any transfers while in Ithaca, look me up. Certainly NOT afraid of "military rifles" here.

do you have a store in ithaca?  if so, where is it? i might be interested in stopping by sometime
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:49:39 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Dieter1212,

His number and address:

Frank's Guns
9103 River Rd.
Marcy, NY. 13403
(315)-736-0062

Actually I was talking of TNT GUNS in Clinton NY, Tony Internicola is the CMP director for Greenfield F&G his number is : 859-0796

Frank would actually be my 3rd choice.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:27:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Sorry Wade, I thought that you were talking about Frank's. Where about's in Clinton is TNT?  
Haven't been there yet. Been to Ivan's at all lately? Think maybe a little lunch and shoot one of these weekends? You can PM me so as not to hijack this thread.....Sean.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:54:38 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:
As long as it is NYS AWB compliant, B&J Guns will handle the transfer at a cost of $20 for Team Members.  At least I believe that is still their rate for Team Members.

If it is a stock AK without a folding stock, flash hider or bayo lug, they will have no trouble handling the transfer and B&J is VERY EBR friendly.  They often have a stock of pre-ban ARs and AKs on hand.  Right now they happen to have a Valmet and some other goodies as well.

but right now im up at college 1.5 hrs from home, so im stuck with the local FFL dealers on this.

thanks for the info and suggestion...ive been looking for a good dealer to goto in my area

Sorry ...I just jumped into this thread....  are you at Ithaca College????  My son is there ..and he has his AR with him.... locked up in the security office of course....

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:48:35 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry ...I just jumped into this thread....  are you at Ithaca College????  My son is there ..and he has his AR with him.... locked up in the security office of course....

Hey, what's your son's name?  is he a member of GCL rochester?  If so, I think I may have met him there.....
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:56:44 PM EDT
[#31]
fossil_fuel

Do you go to Ithaca?????

He shoots somewhere in Ithaca...I think...I'll find out tonight

He shoots at the  Lansing rod and gun club...I have no idea where that is....
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:14:17 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
fossil_fuel

Do you go to Ithaca?????

Not a bad club. They are more into the trap and skeet crowd, but have a semi-decent range for longer (relative to what else is in the area) shooting. The problem they have is the neighbors and the limitations imposed on shooting hours.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:15:49 PM EDT
[#33]
nevermind, i think i'm getting your son confused with someone else i met at GCL who goes to ithaca.

i go to cornell.....

i'm from rochester and i shoot at the GCL there, although next year i'd like to join a range around ithaca so i can shoot during the school year.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:47:44 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
fossil_fuel

Do you go to Ithaca?????

Not a bad club. They are more into the trap and skeet crowd, but have a semi-decent range for longer (relative to what else is in the area) shooting. The problem they have is the neighbors and the limitations imposed on shooting hours.

He shoots trap there as well 2.50 a round.... he enjoys it and they seem to like him and his shooting buddies...  he never has a problem with his black AR there,,,,,
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:14:46 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
He shoots trap there as well 2.50 a round.... he enjoys it and they seem to like him and his shooting buddies...  he never has a problem with his black AR there,,,,,

None of the clubs here will freak out at the sight of military rifles.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:12:37 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

None of the clubs here will freak out at the sight of military rifles.

the range I was a member of (my membership just lapsed), 99% of the members did just cowboy action shooting, blackpowder and archery.... so they almost die when they EBRs..
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:30:49 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Im going now through Lynn's Guns, over in Davenport....about a 25 minute trip for me..

Dieter,
What college are you at?  If it is 25 min. from Davenport I am guessing Oneonta?  I live in Norwich, about 35 min from Oneonta, and have a great FFL I can refer you to.  He doesn't have very much in stock but can get anything you want. Let me know.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:05:17 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dieter,
What college are you at?  If it is 25 min. from Davenport I am guessing Oneonta?  I live in Norwich, about 35 min from Oneonta, and have a great FFL I can refer you to.  He doesn't have very much in stock but can get anything you want. Let me know.  

you guessed it, im at Oneonta.

what kind of rifles does he have stock, and what about ammo and the prices on it?

Whats he charge for transfer fees?  I found 2 places here, one is $15 but a pain in the butt (the one that called the ATF on the rifle), and another  thats probally $15-25 in Davenport.  

thanks
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:09:06 PM EDT
[#39]
He only has hunting rifles and shotguns in stock, but can order anything you want, guns, scopes, anything.  He does mostly gunsmithing and consignments.  I got my ar shipped to him with no problems.  $25 transfer fee.  Not a large selection of ammo but he gets alot of mil surplus.  I bought 5.56 mil surplus for the same price as WWB .223 and he get had alot of norinco 7.62x39 for the same price as Wolf.  

There is also Meads Reloading on Winney Hill Rd in Oneonta.  I have been there once along time ago with my father to buy a handgun.  Not bad from what I remember.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:10:59 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
He only has hunting rifles and shotguns in stock, but can order anything you want, guns, scopes, anything.  He does mostly gunsmithing and consignments.  I got my ar shipped to him with no problems.  $25 transfer fee.  Not a large selection of ammo but he gets alot of mil surplus.  I bought 5.56 mil surplus for the same price as WWB .223 and he get had alot of norinco 7.62x39 for the same price as Wolf.  

There is also Meads Reloading on Winney Hill Rd in Oneonta.  I have been there once along time ago with my father to buy a handgun.  Not bad from what I remember.

tell me more about Meads Reloading....  I havnt seen nor heard of it before, do they have firearms in stock or just ammo and reloading components?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:51:20 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

tell me more about Meads Reloading....  I havnt seen nor heard of it before, do they have firearms in stock or just ammo and reloading components?

From what I remember he did have some in stock.  a lot of nice handguns too.  i am thinking about stopping by and looking around at what he has.  

give him a call 607-432-5334

Where do you go to shoot around oneonta?  I can not find a good place by me to go and I drive through oneonta almost everyday.  Would be nice to make a pit stop on my way home from work and shoot a little.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:17:52 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From what I remember he did have some in stock.  a lot of nice handguns too.  i am thinking about stopping by and looking around at what he has.  

give him a call 607-432-5334

Where do you go to shoot around oneonta?  I can not find a good place by me to go and I drive through oneonta almost everyday.  Would be nice to make a pit stop on my way home from work and shoot a little.

theres the Oneonta Sportsmans Club.... about a 10min drive from SUCO's campus. I go shooting up on a friends property, which is 2 more exits down going westbound on 88.  

If you go through Oneonta almost everyday, is there anything you have to trade or sell, or anything your looking at buying?  

I cant think of any other places around here that are organized shooting locations.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:31:25 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

theres the Oneonta Sportsmans Club.... about a 10min drive from SUCO's campus. I go shooting up on a friends property, which is 2 more exits down going westbound on 88.  

If you go through Oneonta almost everyday, is there anything you have to trade or sell, or anything your looking at buying?  

I cant think of any other places around here that are organized shooting locations.

unless you are going to give me a hell of a deal on preban ar mags,  I am not looking to buy or sell anything right now.  funds are tight and I am very attached to everything I have, for now.  Thanks anyway.  I'll let you know when I get some cash.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:40:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:44:46 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
SUCK-O?

Hartwick grad here... howdy neighbah!

your pure evil haha.

I have a friend that goes to Hartwick, but we like dont talk, go figure...

Its funny how I goto Oneonta, a state school, and my sister and her husband are both MIT grads....lol guess im a huge dissapointment haha
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top