Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/12/2006 10:53:02 AM EDT
The ban is over. What does that mean for us in New York State? I have a pre-ban AR. Can I go out and buy post ban items now w/o fear of breaking the law?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:28:49 AM EDT
[#1]
the ban is not over.  NYS has it's own state level ban which is a copy of the federal ban, except with no sunset date.  you can't have postban guns with preban features.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:39:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Got it! THANKS!
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:02:18 PM EDT
[#3]
That also includes +10 mags unless they were manufactured prior to 09-14-1994.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:37:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I have a pre-ban AR. Can I go out and buy post ban items now w/o fear of breaking the law?

What kind of post ban items do you want? I have a whole van full of the good stuff.

10 round clips (not to be confused with mags)
A grinder to take that bayo lug off
Muzzle brakes
Pinned collapsible stocks

Keep it on the down low, this shit should sell fast.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:17:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I am still amazed at the number of New Yorkers who still have no idea that we still have a state ban. I had this exact conversation with one of my National Guard guys that just got back this month from a year in Iraq. He was pissed off to find out we had a state ban.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:01:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I am still amazed at the number of New Yorkers who still have no idea that we still have a state ban. I had this exact conversation with one of my National Guard guys that just got back this month from a year in Iraq. He was pissed off to find out we had a state ban.

I thought that the law was still in effect but just wanted to be sure. Between all the talk of celebratoin about the ban being over and the press, I got confused whether or not NYS still had their laws in place.

Tell your National Guard buddy that I'm with him. Pissed off as hell. Like this stupid ass law actually did any good. Fucking hippies.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:08:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought that the law was still in effect but just wanted to be sure. Between all the talk of celebratoin about the ban being over and the press, I got confused whether or not NYS still had their laws in place.

Tell your National Guard buddy that I'm with him. Pissed off as hell. Like this stupid ass law actually did any good. Fucking hippies.

Please do not take my comments as criticism of you at all. I think the people of New York have been done  a grave injustice. The gun laws here require a great revision, but it seems to only be going the wrong way anytime gun issues are addressed in the state Legislature.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:05:13 AM EDT
[#8]
And NEVER forget Pataki signed this law and Bruno supported it through the Senate. Backstabbing Republican POS.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:10:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The ban is over. What does that mean for us in New York State? I have a pre-ban AR. Can I go out and buy post ban items now w/o fear of breaking the law?

Huh???
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:10:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
And NEVER forget Pataki signed this law and Bruno supported it through the Senate. Backstabbing Republican POS.

+1
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:21:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:31:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Sorry. To clear it up...

By post ban, I meant after the ban was passed, items that are illegal in NYS like high capacity mags. I guess I can't buy them.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

tc556guy: No offense taken.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:38:11 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm afraid we'll look longingly back at Elmer's reign of terror once Spitzer gets into office.

Perhaps. Mario Cuomo tried unsuccessfully year after year to pass stric gun control laws. They were blocked in the NY Senate before reaching his desk.

I think Bruno supported the AW ban at the end because Pacrappi wanted it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:49:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:26:00 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Perhaps. Mario Cuomo tried unsuccessfully year after year to pass stric gun control laws. They were blocked in the NY Senate before reaching his desk.

It was rumored that Mario Pataki forced Bruno to support the AWB in a back room deal with the Democrats. Don't forget it wasn't just the AWB but the comprehensive Pataki antigun package that also included the COBis nonsense. To date COBis has cost the taxpayers of NY approximately 19 million dollars and has not resulted in identifying one gun used in a crime.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:14:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It was rumored that Mario Pataki forced Bruno to support the AWB in a back room deal with the Democrats. Don't forget it wasn't just the AWB but the comprehensive Pataki antigun package that also included the COBis nonsense. To date COBis has cost the taxpayers of NY approximately 19 million dollars and has not resulted in identifying one gun used in a crime.

Because Georgie Boy wanted to look tough on crime to look better as  a possible Veep running mate for Bush. Now hes out in the midwest hopping from one event to another trying to make himself a candidate for the next Prez election. I say BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:17:00 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because Georgie Boy wanted to look tough on crime to look better as  a possible Veep running mate for Bush. Now hes out in the midwest hopping from one event to another trying to make himself a candidate for the next Prez election. I say BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

If f**ckhead Pataki runs for president he will get squashed, no way he is Presidential material. As for the republicans supporting the New York AWB, it was 100% a political move. All the idiot republicans knew it would boost their popularity with the left and save them from any repurcussions for not suporting it.

To the people on the right, they would simply say "its only a copy of the federal ban, doesnt affect anything, and not going to make any difference". This is exacly the comment I had received from two state senators and 1 rep at a local legislators night at the Peconic River Sportsmans Club. I remember a bunch of idiots standing around me agreeing with them, and supporting them!

At the time I didnt think of the lack of the sunset provision, but I did make a point that it was a rediculous law. Now how many morons who thought this law did nothing now think the opposite? I remember thinking "allowing this law will only pave the way for more stringent gun laws". Well, take a look at the new NY assault weapons bill, granted it wont get passed, it will probably get killed. But I can guarantee you it will be back, and will probably get passed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top