Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2006 12:51:28 PM EDT
Hey guys, I'm new to the boards and had a question perhaps some of you legal buffs might be able to help me out with.

I live in Westchester county FYI.

I've got a Chinese SKS I just picked up for dirt cheap. Problem is the stock is WAY too small for me. I feel like I'm holding a junior model .22 or something. I was looking at the T6 replacement stock but here's the thing: it comes with a pistol grip and it has a 'telescoping stock'. I say 'telescoping' because really its just a AR style adjustable buttstock. Does this count as 'telescoping' or am I being too literal?

Also they sell 'detachable' mags for the SKS but I read somewhere that because the original SKS was never intended to have detachable mags (but now they manufacture ones which properly lock into place on the gun and don't wobble around or misfeed like typical AK conversions), that the gun does not count as a firearm which accepts detachable mags. Can someone verify this?

Last but not least, assuming a I buy a 30 rd detachable for my SKS, would it then be illegal in NYS? What if I bought a 10 rd detachable? I hate stripper clips.

Thanks for the help,
Dan
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:51:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Lot's of info here-
simonov.net/uberlaw.htm

Don't bother with the extended mags-they usually work badly, legal issues aside.  You'd be surprised how easy the stripper clips work with a little practice.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:47:23 AM EDT
[#2]
ACDer. thanks for the link. I've checked out that site before but it doesn't do much to cover the specifics of the NYS laws. However it is full of great information.

I've heard the same bad things you have about the large cap. and detachable mags. I've also heard good things about USA Brand SKS clips. They also have a full money back guarentee to cycle through the gun.

How about this, are Norinco MAK-90's legal in NY? Date on the gun is 1993, its NIB. I actually called the local ATF branch about this one and the agent I spoke to couldn't give me a definite answer. He took the time to read over everything and research the specific gun and came back 5 hours later still only 85% sure that it was legal in NYS. 85% is great odds when you're playing poker but not when you're buying a gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top