Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2006 12:40:26 PM EDT
OK I have been trying to search and find an answer.

On a 16" Barrel Threaded If you put lets say a AK style brake on. Does it have to be PINNED AND WELDED.  Or can it just be welded for use on a PostBan AR15.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:45:34 PM EDT
[#1]
ive been looking for the same info.  i want to change a ycomp muzzle brake to something else and i get  different answers.  from what i gather is they pin the brake,  weld over it,  grind it,  and refinish it.  im sent
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:23:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:46:47 PM EDT
[#3]
IN TRUE ARFCOM FASHION , You can do BOTH !

Well Either actually ,

Thread it on , blind pin , weld over pin and refinish.

OR

4 penetrating welds equidistant around the muzzle device
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:02:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
IN TRUE ARFCOM FASHION , You can do BOTH !

Well Either actually ,

Thread it on , blind pin , weld over pin and refinish.

OR

4 penetrating welds equidistant around the muzzle device

Or brazed on with 1100 degree silver alloy solder.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:12:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Personally, I would send it to KKF and have them worry about it. Something about the AK brake just doesn't look right on an AR but that's only my opinion. Kinda pricey but at least KKF's brake looks like a flash hider and you can have them perm attach it. They have a longer one as well  for 14.5 inch barrels. Pretty sure RRA makes one too. Not sure if they are ATF approved though. Anyone know if the ATF still has to approve muzzle brakes? http://www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/page/page/8932.htm

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:25:03 PM EDT
[#6]
emailed bushmasters answer
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:31:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Ne1 - I don't think the ATF has to "approve" muzzle brakes anymore because there is no federal ban anymore (and the BATFE is a federal agency).  For us NYers, the NYSP or AG's office has to make that decision.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:37:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Got the answer and High Temp brazing is OK without the pinning.

I agree about the AK brake but it isn't my upper.
I just do what the customer wants.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:57:16 AM EDT
[#9]
KKF, EGW, and CAV Comp A2-style brakes were all ATF approved. State AG's would be hard pressed to argue that something designated by ATF during the ban as a compliant device does not meet state standards, especially when the ban is copied verbatim as in NY.

I have KKF and EGW A2 Brakes on several uppers, the EGW is almost impossible to tell from a regular A2 flash suppressor.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:18:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:57:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Is the RRA military brake's ok? I had one perm. attached to my post ban barrel, I believed these were also ATF approved since RRA offers AWB Compliant rifles with these attached.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:03:13 AM EDT
[#12]

You're a "paid" gun-plumber now?

Paid in Thanks and a smile on some ones face......
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top