Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2006 7:55:00 AM EDT
Guys, I'm evaluating an offer that will have me moving to NYC (Manhattan). I tried to read laws around and some posts on the forum, but I'd like to have a check with you about what I can carry from OR.

Handguns:
- Berettta 92 Vertec 40 S&W
- Kimber Custom II 45ACP
- Springfield XD40 40S&W

It is my understanding that I need to get a permit to bring these in, correct?

Carabines:
- Beretta CX4 Storm 40S&W

This should be fine, no?

Bolt actions:

- Savage 110FP 7mm RM
- Winchester Stealth II 308

I guess here I really should not have any problem?
Now for the interesting stuff ...

- VEPR II 7.62x39 20" barrel

Pistol grip and detach mag, so it should be OK as long as I get rid of 30rnds (sigh) magazines.

- Arsenal SA M7-R

Pistol grip, detach mag and threaded barrel device. I guess this should be sold

- BushMaster VMatch 20" barrel

Pistol grip and detach mag. Is this fine if I don't bring hicap mags?

- DPMS Panther 308 24" barrel

Pistol grip and detach mag. Ok?

- KelTec SU16A

Detach mag, yes. Is that considered a folding stock? Even though, should be fine, no?

On a related question, how far from Manhattan are nice ranges (pistol and rifle up to 5-600yrds)?
Thank you.

- Ice

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:03:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Pistols: You must first apply for and be issued a NYC Pistol (target/hunting) license prior to possessing a handgun in NYC/NYS. It will take approx. 6 months for the license to be issued. The cost to apply is $340 (for 3 years) and a $99 fingerprint fee. Once your license is issued you will then be required to have your handguns shipped from a FFL in your home state to a FFL in NY who is also licensed by NYS to deal in handguns. You cannot "import" your handguns yourself even if they are listed/registered on your license. The magazine capacity is limited to 10 rounds for any mag (post-ban) manufactured after 09-13-1994 and 17 rounds (pre-ban) if manufactured prior to 09-14-1994. The 17 round restriction for pre-ban mags is a NYC regulation.

Rifles: You must first apply for and be issued a NYS Rifle/Shotgun permit before you can legally possess a rifle/shotgun in NYC. The cost is $140 (for three years) and a $99 fingerprint fee (if you don't already have a NYC Pistol License). You bolt action rifles are OK but AFAIK any semi-auto rifle with a pistol grip is banned in NYC. You are also limited to 5 round mags/clips for all rifles.

You cannot legally possess either ammunition or a magazine in NYC for any gun that is not registered on either your pistol or rifle/shotgun permit(s). You cannot legally use a magazine in a pistol which extends below the gripframe of the pistol.

P-A-S is the expert on NYC gun regulations.  He will know specifically which of your other rifles are legal in NYC.

The closest public ranges in NY are located on Long Island and are approx. 1-2 hours by car from Manhattan depending on where the range is located.

ETA: There is a quite a bit of additional info in this NYC FAQ thread:

www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=25
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:05:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you. I missed the FAQ in the forum. Sh*t, it's even worse than I thought

- Ice

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:47:18 PM EDT
[#3]
(RKbar15, I'm getting teary at being called "the expert" by the grand Rabbi of all NY gun laws)

Handguns: All of these are OK.
- Berettta 92 Vertec 40 S&W
- Kimber Custom II 45ACP
- Springfield XD40 40S&W

Carbines:   Out.  This is semiauto and has a pistol grip.
- Beretta CX4 Storm 40S&W

Bolt actions: These are OK

- Savage 110FP 7mm RM
- Winchester Stealth II 308

The next four are "assault weapons" under NYC law

- VEPR II 7.62x39 20" barrel
- Arsenal SA M7-R
- BushMaster VMatch 20" barrel
- DPMS Panther 308 24" barrel

- KelTec SU16A I'm not familiar with this model -- but if it's a folding stock, it's out.

On a related question, how far from Manhattan are nice ranges (pistol and rifle up to 5-600yrds)?
Thank you.

You shoot pistol at 600 yards?  

More seriously, there are indoor pistol ranges on the west side (20 W. 20th Street) and in Yonkers.  There are a number of outdoor ranges on Long Island.  All of them are a good drive from the city, and none are longer than 200 yards (other than Calverton, which is 300 yards one night a week).

HTH

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:00:37 PM EDT
[#4]
KEL-TEC SU-16A Rifle

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:32:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:00:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Hotice,

do you have to actually reside, or just work, inside city limits?
Big difference.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:58:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You shoot pistol at 600 yards?  

You have to aim really high though
No I shoot 600 with my Savage and Stealth II. If I'll move I'm really gonna miss the 240 acres range that I have at 20 minutes from my home here

- Ice
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:03:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Hotice,
do you have to actually reside, or just work, inside city limits?
Big difference.

I do not have to live inside, but I like to live close to the workplace to avoid long commutes.
The company that made me an offer (that has a suspicious name like <cough> the city major) is in upper-west manhattan.

- Ice
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:12:53 AM EDT
[#9]
HotIce, despite the terrible gun laws, living in Manhattan is incredible.  It's a sacrifice you have to be willing to make.  The tradeoffs are your gun rights and your money, because it's damned expensive.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:44:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm trying to compile a Pros&Cons list, and losing my ARs and AKs goes heavy on the Cons side
I'm trying to figure out which kind of changes that moving there will imply. Definitely a different life-style than the one I'm used to have here.

- Ice
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:54:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'm trying to compile a Pros&Cons list, and losing my ARs and AKs goes heavy on the Cons side
I'm trying to figure out which kind of changes that moving there will imply. Definitely a different life-style than the one I'm used to have here.

- Ice

Well, add high cost of living, high congestion, crappy weather, and terrorist target to your list of cons
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top