Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/31/2006 11:20:11 AM EDT
IF not, is there any loophole I can jump through?

S.O.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:25:54 PM EDT
[#1]

Sorry. No.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:21:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:15:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The only NFA weapon (I know of) allowed in NYS is a Short Barrelled Shotgun that must be manufacured (and registered on your carry permit) as a pistol.

Rkbar? Phil?

I knew that there was a way for shotguns, I was hoping there was a way for rifles too....
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:38:31 PM EDT
[#4]
A LEO can have one if his or her chief/commish provides a letter explaining how the indiviual is exempt from PL statutes regarding SBR's etc.  Then that person can apply for the tax stamp.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:29:09 AM EDT
[#5]
So that means I can go to my local gun store order a short barrled shotgun from Wilson and go have an ammendment adding it to my permit and it will be legal?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:37:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Sorry meant 14" barrel.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:50:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Can you live in New York State and have a short barrel rifle?  Sure.  I have a number of them.

Just don't bring them to NY.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:27:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
So that means I can go to my local gun store order a short barrled shotgun from Wilson and go have an ammendment adding it to my permit and it will be legal?

No. As was said, there are a couple of really short shotguns that can be added to the permit as smooth barrel handguns, but you can't get , say, an 11-87 from Wilson with a short barrel.
Other than the LE exemption, I don't know what else you can do.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:14:34 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

No, they are classified under the NFA as a AOW and require a tax stamp and registration for transfer.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:44:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Destructive Devices are allowed in NY. Thats the only NFA weapon Im aware of being allowed in this great state.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:55:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Destructive Devices are allowed in NY. Thats the only NFA weapon Im aware of being allowed in this great state.

Some destructive devices are allowed in NY.  M203s and M79s are out.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:17:55 PM EDT
[#12]
So this brings me back to my question about a OA98 and having a front shroud put on. It is on my permit has a Pistol. If I had the forearm changer and paid for a tax stamp is it legal has a AOW?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:39:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Epmedic, you are going into gray area.

For starters, it must be a preban pistol.

Second, registering as a AOW will cost you $200 with the federal government.

Now, the gun is legal under Federal law.  Is it legal under NYS law?

It's one of two things in NY's eyes:

- It's a pistol, in which case it's the same thing it was before it was made into a AOW

- It's a something else.  But NYS law doesn't have a catch all category like "AOW".  The penal law bans machineguns, SBRs, SBSs, disguised guns, pen guns, cane swords and a host of other things.  But nothing leaps to mind under Article 265 as squarely addressing the AOW pistol configuration.

So, it probably is OK.  However, NYS is filled with antigun prosecutors who do not clearly understand the law.  You always run the risk of finding a SOB cop paired with a DA who has a hard on for you and you're in trouble.  You need to weigh the risks on this one, because even if you aren't convicted, an arrest will likely cause you problems on your day job in LE as well as costs you thou$ands in legal fees.  But that's not to say it's a risk you can't reasonably decide is a small one.

A similar question comes up with AOW smooth bore shotgun pistols.  Some counties allow them to be added to pistol permits; others don't.  But to a cop who is not a weapons expert, a AOW shotgun pistol looks like a sawed off shotgun.  So make your choices as to where you want to be on the risk curve.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top