Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2006 12:41:53 PM EDT
Hello all,

I recently moved to NYC from Washington state and I'm now becoming familiar with the horror of the city's gun laws.  At the moment I only own a few long rifles that do not fall into NYC's definition of assault weapons (an M1 and a few shotguns).

I really do not want to give all my personal details to NYC just to own firearms.  I guess I'm just bothered by the principle of it.  Does anyone know of a firearm storage facility outside the city?  Perhaps a more important question is: "I'm an NYC resident, do I have to register my rifles if they never enter New York City?"

Damn, life in Seattle was so much easier, hehe.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:47:28 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Hello all,

I recently moved to NYC from Washington state and I'm now becoming familiar with the horror of the city's gun laws.  At the moment I only own a few long rifles that do not fall into NYC's definition of assault weapons (an M1 and a few shotguns).

I really do not want to give all my personal details to NYC just to own firearms.  I guess I'm just bothered by the principle of it.  Does anyone know of a firearm storage facility outside the city?  Perhaps a more important question is: "I'm an NYC resident, do I have to register my rifles if they never enter New York City?"

Damn, life in Seattle was so much easier, hehe.

Dont know a place to store your firearms but I can tell you that as long as the firearms are not within the city you dont have to do anything. Now as far as your non AW longarms if you have them in NYC you must get a Rifle/Shotgun Permit or you will be breaking the law.

good luck

PS : what possesed you to come here ? I cant wait to get outts here  

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:25:00 PM EDT
[#2]
lol, yeah, I came here for a job. I will probably be leaving the city in the near future.  I'd rather commute than put up with all this crap in the city.

Hmm, so, if I were to store the rifles at a friends house outside the city then I wouldn't have to register them?  I guess that makes sense.

Now the other issue I have is whether or not any manufacturers or the ODCMP will ship to me if my billing address is in NYC.    I'm willing to bet they'll demand proof of a license as soon as they see my address.  I might have to resort to using friends back in Washington for purchases.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:07:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Plenty of self storage places outside of NYC.  In absence of any gun friendly family or friends in NY outside of NYC limits, bite the bullet and rent a small unit.

What brings you to NY?  Good paying job, school?  As a lifelong residence, I spend most of my time plotting my escape.  Not doing a very good job at it due to this thing called a wife.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:52:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Actually just finished school and I'm here for a good paying job.  So far I actually kinda enjoy it -- provided I can tune out all the crazy BS that goes on sometimes.

So I thought about renting a storage unite outside the city, but I was under the impression that they usually don't want you storing firearms?  That's why I was looking for a place that catered to gun owners.  I should probably research this more and see if a standard storage unit would be legal.

Hell, a friend of mine just moved here from Wyoming and he's got a freaking arsenal.  Maybe we should just find a storage locker and stick our gun safes in there.  He went down to police plaza and gave them a list of the rifles he wanted to bring into the city -- they looked at him like he was some kind of terrorist.  Apparently he then explained that he was from Wyoming and the cops said "Oh, ok".
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:20:42 AM EDT
[#5]
If you go the storage route, pull the bolt from each weapon and keep it in your posession.  Just a good practice to follow.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:05:24 AM EDT
[#6]
As a NYC resident it would also be illegal for you to possess a magazine or ammunition within NYC for any rifle/shotgun/handgun that you are not licensed by NYC to possess. A non-resident of NYC can travel through NYC without having the applicable firearm permits but AFAIK that exemption is not available to you as a NYC resident.

NYC also prohibits the possession of:

(c) Any part, or combination of parts, designed
or redesigned or intended to readily convert
a rifle or shotgun into an assault weapon.

Move to lower Westchester County as it's a quick 30-45 minute commute to Grand Central. The cost to get a Pistol Permit is only $10 + a $99 fingerprint fee and it qualifies to bypass the NICS check for all gun transfers in NYS. There is no rifle/shotgun permit or registration required nor are there any mag restrictions (+10 mags must be preban under NYS law).  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top