User Panel

Posted: 1/27/2006 3:40:44 AM EDT
N.J. budget cuts, tax hikes urged

Powered by Topix.net
Friday, January 27, 2006

By JONATHAN TAMARI
Gannett State Bureau

TRENTON

In a sweeping set of recommendations that includes doses of pain for taxpayers, schools, state workers and government, a group advising Gov. Jon S. Corzine calls for broad tax increases and spending cuts in order to bring long-term reforms to New Jersey's budget.

Recommendations for possible reforms include a temporary tax rate surcharge, a broader sales tax, including the prospect of taxing clothing purchases, a higher gas tax and taxes on 401(k) retirement plans.

The report by Corzine's Budget and Reengineering Government Transition Policy Group also calls for across-the-board cuts in current state spending, a new office to streamline state government and improved financial oversight.

The changes are aimed at reversing what the authors called two decades of overspending that has racked up debt and left the state without money to pay for road projects and school construction.

"Failure to implement fundamental change will have grave consequences," such as higher property taxes and reduced state services, the report said. It later adds, "Clearly, sacrifices will have to be made. Pain will have to be shared."

Corzine's office cautioned that the report was only a draft, but Republican lawmakers quickly assailed the pitch for tax increases.

The six-page memo, densely packed with what it calls difficult choices, recommends raising the retirement age for public workers and revising the list of school districts that get millions in additional state aid each year under the Abbott vs. Burke state Supreme Court rulings.

The recommendations are called "a blueprint for reform," rather than a plan for one specific budget. Corzine will likely unveil his first budget in March, leaving little time for such widespread changes.

Corzine's aides stressed Thursday that the report was not final.

"This is a draft of a draft," said Corzine spokesman Anthony Coley. He said the final report could be released as early as today.

Republicans immediately criticized the tax plans, and some Democrats said other options should come first.

"It is troubling that before he has even had an opportunity to explore possible spending cuts the governor is being urged to increase taxes," Assembly Minority Leader Alex DeCroce, R-Parsippany-Troy Hills, said.

Assemblyman Louis Greenwald, D-Voorhees, the budget committee chairman, said he supported plans to make government more efficient but not tax increases.

"I don't think you ever look to raise a tax until you've exhausted government waste," Greenwald said, echoing comments he made last year when the Assembly beat back similar plans for tax hikes. Lawmakers also added millions for discretionary grants.

linky
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:18:31 AM EDT
[#1]
It's getting more insane living in NJ everyday now. I guarantee by the spring or summer, NJ will lose it's tax exemption on clothing!! Amazing!!! Just keep taxing us middle class workers right out of the state!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:26:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Very fitting to invoke our new state slogan:

"New Jersey...Come See For Yourself"
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:31:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm afraid it's only gonna get worse :(      Wish I didn't have so much family here or I would be gone.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:04:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm slowly working on moving out of Jersey.  This is getting absolutely absurd.  I could entirely see higher taxes and sales taxes passing in the next year or two.  As it is NJ is crazy expensive to live in.  My property taxes are just way to blippin' high anyway, the last thing I need is a higher tax rate and my 401K to be taxed.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:09:05 AM EDT
[#5]
They really have some big balls to even mention touch your 401k   That is straight up BS !  Corizine is a mega millionare..  Let his sorry ass pay for it
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:31:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

It would have been more appropriate for the new state slogan to be:
"New Jersey:      Prepare to get screwed"

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:22:39 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It would have been more appropriate for the new state slogan to be:
"New Jersey:      Prepare to get screwed"

How about "New Jersey: We don't even give you a reach-around"
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:11:57 PM EDT
[#8]
The report by Corzine's Budget and Reengineering Government Transition Policy Group also calls for across-the-board cuts in current state spending, a new office to streamline state government and improved financial oversight.

Sure, create more government to cut spending just like every govenor has done in the last 2 decades.
B  U  L  L  S  H  I  T  !
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:41:24 AM EDT
[#9]
...and everyone was expecting this NOT to happen?

To all those gunners in NJ that voted for this man I do not want to hear anything out of your pie holes.
Of course nobody will admit that they voted for him NOW that the BOHICA stick is being waved around.

If you like this first move of his wait until you see what he does to the gun owners in this state. We are all in for a treat I am sure.

My favorite line in the article is:

"Clearly, sacrifices will have to be made. Pain will have to be shared."

and then this a hole of a governor wants to provide druggies with fresh needles!!! How you going to pay for that? Bring out the BOHICA stick again!

RW3

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:00:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Well NJ welcome to the REAL WORLD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top