Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2006 2:41:37 PM EDT
i am looking at getting a bulgarian AK74, with bayonet lug, and threaded muzzle.

Would it be legal for me to:

Install a dragunov style thumbhole stock and lopp off the bayo lug, then have it shipped to a local FFL?
would the threading be legal, or would i have to perm attach the muzzle brake in addition?

Also, instead of lopping off the bayo lug, could I put silver soder so no bayonet could be affixed to it?

i want to leave this 74 in as original config so i can reverse it after i get my hands on it (and move out of state)...  please advise.

thanks
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:56:03 PM EDT
[#1]
You have to lose two out of the three evil features (pistol grip, bayo lug, threaded barrel)
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:35:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm pretty sure the thumbhole stock is still considered a pistol grip by the ATF, so that isn't an option. You could get a Romanian SAR-2 or WASR-2 and get a romanian threaded FSB: http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16353&cat=290&page=1 . The ATF ruled that it is legal to use with a pistol grip since that thread size is 22mm, as opposed to the Bulgarian 24mm, and no known flash hider is available in 22mm. http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/atf_letter89.txt

The law says you can't have a threaded barrel that can accomodate a flashider, so as long as there aren't any flash hiders available for the thread size, threaded barrels are legal, unless "one should become available". The only thing you would have to do is file off one side of the bayo lug or another ATF approved method for permanantly disabling the bayo lug.  The thing is though, they stopped imported Romanian 22mm compenators and the only source currently is a US made one from: http://www.ak-103.com/parts.html which is about $75 but will help with the US parts count. ...Or you could just permanantly attach the Bulgy compensator and disable the bayo lug using ATF approved methods. You can't use a Romy FSB on a Bulgy AK because of different barrel diamaters. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:40:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm pretty sure the thumbhole stock is still considered a pistol grip by the ATF, so that isn't an option. You could get a Romanian SAR-2 or WASR-2 and get a romanian threaded FSB: http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16353&cat=290&page=1 . The ATF ruled that it is legal to use with a pistol grip since that thread size is 22mm, as opposed to the Bulgarian 24mm, and no known flash hider is available in 22mm. http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/user/wbardwel/public/nfalist/atf_letter89.txt

The law says you can't have a threaded barrel that can accomodate a flashider, so as long as there aren't any flash hiders available for the thread size, threaded barrels are legal, unless "one should become available". The only thing you would have to do is file off one side of the bayo lug or another ATF approved method for permanantly disabling the bayo lug.  The thing is though, they stopped imported Romanian 22mm compenators and the only source currently is a US made one from: http://www.ak-103.com/parts.html which is about $75 but will help with the US parts count. ...Or you could just permanantly attach the Bulgy compensator and disable the bayo lug using ATF approved methods. You can't use a Romy FSB on a Bulgy AK because of different barrel diamaters. Hope this helps.

i knew that about the SAR2...as I owned one for awhile...I looked into getting a 74 style comp for it and a new FSB....gave up on the idea.

I know what i can and cant have, im just wondering if the store will be pissed if a AK shows up with a regular stock, no pistol grip, no bayo lug and a threaded muzzle....  its perfectly legal, but they have the final say (fearing losing their FFL).
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:52:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Of course they would care. Would you risk your entire business for a $20-30 transfer fee? If you are worried about the availability of Bulgy '74s, just buy a nice parts kit, have it sent to your house and build or have it built when you move out of New Yorkistan.   Besides, 5.45x39 ammo isn't even currently available and future supplies are uncertain so it's not worth the head ache, IMO.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:59:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Of course they would care. Would you risk your entire business for a $20-30 transfer fee? If you are worried about the availability of Bulgy '74s, just buy a nice parts kit, have it sent to your house and build or have it built when you move out of New Yorkistan.   Besides, 5.45x39 ammo isn't even currently available and future supplies are uncertain so it's not worth the head ache, IMO.

thats like being fearful of sellling any AK , because they might have a side folder at home they could slap on it....  or its like transfering a complete AK reciever...you can mod it into whatever you wish, they could deny you in fear of that too....  its 100% legal, they should have no qualms with it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:15:02 PM EDT
[#6]
No, it's not like that because there is only one way you can "mod" an AK without a pistol grip, that is to add a pistol grip. No other options. You can add a folder to alot of guns with fixed stocks and you can build a gun in legal or illegal configuration...Unless he is a total moron, he will know why the gun isn't coming with a pistol grip and it won't pass the smell test. Ask your dealer first. The worst he could say is no. Just because it's legal doesn't mean he will do it. Dealers can deny any sale to anyone for any reason.  Even if you are legally allowed to buy a gun, he can turn you down just because he doesn't want to sell it to you.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:56:44 PM EDT
[#7]
what if it was shipped with NO stock and NO pistol grip?  I could just say im putting a thumbhole on it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top