Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2006 7:36:51 AM EDT
What is the consensus amongs New York members on the things to aquire now that will become prohibitively expensive or illegal in the future. This pertains to New York awban items or future fed or nystate bans.

We all now that aquiring pre ban ar receivers seems like a good investment .For new yorkers you cant go wrong and in the future it would be easy to sell to younger guys that were to young to aquire pre bans but want atleast one rifle with preban features.

What about pre ban beta c mags, there were never too many out there to begin with and during the ban they were up to at least$600. It would seem that buying any old c-mags from out of state they would easily sell for more in NYS in the future.

30 rd pre ban usgi mags,  I dont know that it would be worth while stockpiling these in order to have price appreciation.  It would make sense to have more than enough for personal use , but Cant I use replacement mag bodies ,springs , followers and floor plates to keep any mags I have running indefinately ?    This is a qustion for legal guys,   In the future will their be a market to sell unservicable pre ban mags into NYState for guys to prove pre ban status for replacement mag bodies???

Now to really speculate on what the future holds.   Who thinks it is worthwhile to grandfather yourself on guns that could be banned in the future( fed or State) ? Such as 50 cal or belt fed guns.

My point is I would like to be prepared to be ahead of the curve so to speak on things that will rise in price disproportionally. Imagine what it must feel to be a guy that bought legal machine guns before the price started rising after the 1986 registration ban . or the guy that stockpiled pre ban rifles and watched the price skyrocket during the ten years of the aw ban.

Personally I think if you plan on staying in new york now is the time to secure pre ban rifles from out of state  where people are not willing to pay a premium for a used rifle.  BUT  then again the supply in this country could be so big that it will not matter much because there will always be enough to supply a few un gun friendly states.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 7:39:04 AM EDT
[#1]
stock up on preban mags.... a few parts kits (just because, not just the NYS deal), and maybe get a preban rifle if you can afford it....  I am affriad they will remove the grandfather clause and then it would lead to people being forced to give up and turn over everything...losing great amounts of $$$ they invested....  this is how I think..others dont necisarily think the same..
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:40:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Invest in bolt action rifles less than .50 cal, since I believe these will be the only rifles allowed  us commoners. Of course, LEOs will be allowed to own whatever they like.

Make sure there are no magazines or compensators, as these will probably be illegal. I agree that the Gfather clause will be eliminated. Silver has made that clear. "It's for the children".
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:11:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted: Of course, LEOs will be allowed to own whatever they like.

Don't forget that we'll be retired some day. Even if we get the exemption for duty-related rifles while employed , why invest hard-earned money in a rifle you can't eventually pass on to your kids after you retire? LEOs need to think long range at how the laws being suggested WILL impact them, if only after retirement.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 2:29:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I think that it is inevitable that that the gun laws in NY are gonna get much worse. I'm not buying anything that wouldn't be legal in Cali. and that may not even work.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:12:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Why the doom and gloom?  Republicans in charge under Pataki did far worse harm than Mario Cuomo could dream of.  Because of their moderation on the gun issue, they set the stage for the Democrats to follow up.

Maybe the NY Republicans will grow back their spine if Spitzer gets elected.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:11:34 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Maybe the NY Republicans will grow back their spine if Spitzer gets elected.

As long as the Senate is controlled by the Republicans Spitzer will not get his anti-gun bills enacted into law. If the democrats gain control of the Senate as they have vowed to do by 2008 then we are all fooked.

It's critical that we all work towards maintaining or preferably increasing the Senate Republican majority in the Nov 2006 election. Donate money and especially your time to the Republican candidates in your Senate district. Tell the Republican leadership that you support and help elect Republican pro-gun candidates.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:14:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I did not want this to be  a gun rights thread. I would like to focus on the economics of particular objects (guns/mags)   in regard to their prices being affected due to laws (past, present and future).      such as since no new standard capacity mags are allowed in NY State guns such as FN ps90 probably will not sell as well as states that NEW 50 rd mags are available. Who REALLY wants to pay $1800 bucks for a rifle that you can legally only have 10 rd mags for?

Any other opinions?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top