Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2006 8:14:10 AM EDT
I'm trying to complete a pistol deal from NJ to MI, and the licensee in NJ told me that NJ law requires dealers/licensees to have an original signed copy of the license to which they are shipping/transferring a firearm.  Is this NJ law, or another example of licensees not knowing/accepting changes in federal law?

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:56:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Ruling was changed in August of 2005 to accept a faxed copy of the FFL. Sounds like the dealer is up to speed with current law.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 10:50:08 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Ruling was changed in August of 2005 to accept a faxed copy of the FFL. Sounds like the dealer is up to speed with current law.

I think you meant, "dealer is not up to speed"
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 2:35:48 PM EDT
[#3]
There is not a requirement specific to NJ that requires a physical copy of the FFL license?  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:35:52 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think you meant, "dealer is not up to speed"

Correct!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:36:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
There is not a requirement specific to NJ that requires a physical copy of the FFL license?  

No Sir.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:59:34 AM EDT
[#6]
It is up to the FFL you are dealing with. He could accept the fax or he could ask for the ink signed one.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:42:38 PM EDT
[#7]
First, thank you all for your replies.

I can understand a dealer having a personal preference or his/her own business policy;  I'm not questioning that.  But if this dealer insists that it is a state requirement then he either doesn't understand the law or is lying to his customers.  Or it really is a state requirement.  I'm just trying to confirm or eliminate the last possibility (that it is required by NJ law to have an ink signed copy of the FFL prior to shipment).  I already know that federal law no longer requires an ink signed copy.

(I also thought that $50 to ship/transfer a pocket pistol was a little rich, but that may very well be the going rate in NJ)

I made a feeble attempt to locate an online source of compiled firearms laws of the State  of New Jersey and was unsuccessful.  Any direction would be appreciated.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:28:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:04:43 AM EDT
[#9]
$50 is a 'common' transfer fee in NJ, and many will do $50 (or $60) a gun, plus NICS, even if you were to transfer multiples.

There are dealers who are more accomodating.

I don't know PK90's rates (he's a FFL and board member) but I've found Ron at www.legacyfirearms.com to be great, and his fee is $20.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:46:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Go with PK90.  He's the bomb, and a board member.  I just picked up 2 handguns and my SEBR from him today!
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:32:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I second the PK90 nomination...

Transferred a nice SKS paratrooper from another state right into my greedy hands through his license.

Great person to deal with AND if you fail the NICS check he can lock you up right on the spot!

What great service!!!  

Support those who frequent the boards!

RW3

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:02:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
........AND if you fail the NICS check he can lock you up right on the spot!............
RW3

Great.  Now you've got everybody afraid to come to me.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:50:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Some people like that sorta thing, you know...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top