Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2006 9:29:55 PM EDT
in NYS, it should be legal for me to add a folding stock and a pistol grip and a flash hider to my SKS since it has a fixed (not detachable) magazine and the fixed magazine does not hold more than ten rounds.

is that correct?

22. "Assault weapon" means any:
8 (a) Semi-automatic or pump-action rifle that has the capacity to
9 accept a detachable magazine
and has one or more of the following:
10 (i) A pistol grip;
11 (ii) A second handgrip or a protruding grip that can be held by the
12 non-trigger hand;
13 (iii) A folding, telescoping or thumbhole stock;
14 (iv) A shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or completely
15 encircles the barrel, allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the
16 non-trigger hand without being burned, but excluding a slide that
17 encloses the barrel; or
18 (v) A muzzle brake or muzzle compensator;
19 (b) Semi-automatic pistol, or any semi-automatic, centerfire rifle
20 with a fixed magazine, that has the capacity to accept more than ten
21 rounds of ammunition
;
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:21:18 AM EDT
[#1]
NY law aside, yuo would most likely be violation federal law, Section 922(r) by doing so.

This thread also discusses legality of folding stocks on SKS's.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=83&t=58374
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:42:02 AM EDT
[#2]
That is not the definition of an AW under the current NYS AWB. You are looking at the new improved with greater whitening power AWB that the Assembly passed but has not been enacted into law. If a rifle does not have the ability to accept a detachable magazine it is not subject to the NY AWB.

This is the AWB that is current: www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=24
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:13:42 AM EDT
[#3]
ok thanks.  looks like i would be at least allowed to put on a pistol grip.   that's the feature i wanted most.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:20:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't get a 20 or 30 rd mag for an SKS...they function horrendously, are made of uber-cheap and thin metal (pot metal would be an improvement) and are prone to jamming and breaking where they attach to the frame...the internal 10  with a bunch of stripper clips is all you needNow if you are gonna bubba it, the pistol grip is a decent mod, but beware of adding the aftermarket synthetic stock...keep in mind your parts count.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:36:55 PM EDT
[#5]
i wasn't planning on adding a detachable mag.... then i would likely run afoul of AWB laws.  how would adding a new stock be bad?  i thought that more domestic parts was considered a good thing when considering 922(r)
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:54:10 PM EDT
[#6]
ah, wait, i just read up on 922(r).  apparently i can't do ANYTHING to the gun unless i have 11 or less imported parts?

Also be aware that you are not allowed one bad feature on an
imported gun, under section 922(r); while it may not become a
"semiautomatic assault weapon" (and violate section 922(v), below)
if you put a pistol grip stock set on your MAK-90 rifle, it will
have been assembled in violation of section 922(r); unless its
parts content is less than 11 of the listed parts being imported,
all  the rest being USA made.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:11:21 PM EDT
[#7]
upon even further research, it appears it should be ok for me to add the pistol grip as long as i take off the bayonet?

banned the "SKS style rifle with [a] folding stock, folding bayonet, or detachable magazine" from importation.

so that means if i took off the bayonet, the rifle is eligible for importation, and then i can "assemble" it by adding the pisol grip stock?
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:16:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I want to jump out the window for suggesting this, but check out TAPCO, Ahh, I just said that...
They have the parts kits to make your stock "legal" by definition of our "wonderful" laws in NYS.

By taking the Bayo off, I am not sure if it makes it legal or not...When in doubt, talk toa legal beagleheck
Good luck with your project, show us some pics of it later
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:54:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Check this out as well...

simonov.net
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top