Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2006 12:45:47 PM EDT
Is it possible to buy a long gun in from an individual in another state and drive back to new york with it? If I go to an FFL, are they allowed to sell to my if I am from out of state?  The reason i am asking is because I will be looking to buy a new gun soon and am in desperate need of a road trip.  Might as well give me a lame reason to take a trip. thanks
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:02:46 PM EDT
[#1]
No. Private transfers are only permitted between residents of the same state.  You must either have it shipped back to a NY FFL or have it transferred in person by an out-of-state FFL.

The upcoming (Jan 14-15) Allentown gun show would be a good road trip or you could stay in NY and go to B&J Guns in Albany.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:27:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Albany is only a 2 hour drive, I think I'll check out show in Allentown.  Thanks again rkbar15
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:48:26 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
No. Private transfers are only permitted between residents of the same state.  You must either have it shipped back to a NY FFL or have it transferred in person by an out-of-state FFL.

The upcoming (Jan 14-15) Allentown gun show would be a good road trip or you could stay in NY and go to B&J Guns in Albany.

I thought there was some verbage on NY'ers buying long arms with states that border NY that we don't need to transfer to a local FFL.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:01:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Having a long gun transferred in person in PA by a FFL is OK. If you are a NYS resident you can only do a private (non-FFL) transfer of a  gun with another NYS resident.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:39:45 PM EDT
[#5]
A NJ resident with a FID can buy in NY. Davis does it in Sloatsburg.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:15:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I thought there was some verbage on NY'ers buying long arms with states that border NY that we don't need to transfer to a local FFL.

From the B.A.T.F.E. December 2002 FFL Newsletter:
(www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/newsletter/1202fflnewsletter.pdf)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top