Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2005 5:33:33 PM EDT
I've looked online at vendors many say they wont ship a crossbow to NJ. Now, I've looked at the linked laws and seen nothing on crossbows. Is it simply paranoia on the vendors part, or are there laws on the books in NJ about crossbows? I was also pondering making my own out of some old Popular Mechanics atricle and wondering about the legality of that.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:11:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one.  Its a recreation of one from the late 1500's and I use it for taget practice and fun.  From what I understand the restriction of crossbows in NJ is mainly against hunting with one, but I don't know for sure.  I think there is also a process for handicapped individuals to be given an exemption to hunt with a crossbow...  Anyone know anything specific?

BoBo
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 6:41:59 PM EDT
[#2]
From Evan Nappens book,

"Crossbows are not specifically defined under NJ law. Crossbows could be defined as "weapons" which means anything readily capable of lethal use or of inflicting serious bodily injury.

Is it legal to posses a crossbow under NJ law?

Yes, under certain exemptions. If the crossbow does not fit the defination of weapon, then there is no satutory prohibition.

What are the prohibitions for posession of a crossbow?

Crossbows may be prohibitedd under N.J.S. 2C:39-5d.

N.J.S 2C:39-5d prohibits possession of any other weapon "...under circumstance not manifestly approprite for lawful uses as it may have...

Confused??? Good, that's exactly how they want you to be!! NJ weapons laws have clearly abandoned logic!  
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:14:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a friend who has a physical problem pulling back a regular bow (MV Crash) and has an exemption to hunt with the crossbow.
Application to Hunt with Crossbow (.pdf)

Crossbows are NJ legal.  

2C:39-5.  Unlawful Possession of Weapons.
d.Other weapons.  Any person who knowingly has in his possession any other weapon under circumstances not manifestly appropriate for such lawful uses as it may have is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

Basically.  Crossbows are legal to possess, but if you carried it into a convenience store or pointed it at someone, then the above would apply.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:01:36 PM EDT
[#4]
So I take it that as long as I'm not punting flaming arrows onto peasants roof's or other hazardous activities, crossbows are fine to use for target use? I guess the online vendors are simly confused by the laws (This sounds alot like the hollow-point law confusion, where its fine to have unless you use it in a crime). I guess I'll get started on that repeating crossbow.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:15:01 AM EDT
[#5]
As long it holds less then 15 bolts and doesn't say the word "50 cal." in the description. Hell, I'd avoid using the word shoots when referring to the bolt speed. Selling slogan modified for Corzine supporters..."it releases a renewable source of energy at rate over 300 fps".  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:00:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
"it releases a renewable source of energy at rate over 300 fps".  

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:17:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted: "it releases a renewable source of energy at rate over 300 fps".  

That is to funny.

I have always wanted one, but always heard they where not legal. This is good to hear, I need to start my crossbow fund.

^_^_^
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:47:56 AM EDT
[#8]
local gun shop has one , it just caught the corner of my eye as i was walking out, looked like a "kit" crossbow, arrows, sling.
maybe i need one now?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top