Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/17/2005 5:24:52 PM EDT
I want to ship a long gun by USPS Priority with insurance. Its an AR15 and will be sent to an FFL.

What do I need to do?
Do I need an ink signed FFL or can I run his FFL # through the ATF web site?
What do I look for in the ATF web site to be sure that the FFL is legal?
Do I need to send it FFL to FFL if its going from NJ to MD?
Do I have to inform the Post office that its a gun?
How do I box it up?
Any tips on shipping?

TL1
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:20:38 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I want to ship a long gun by USPS Priority with insurance. Its an AR15 and will be sent to an FFL.

What do I need to do?
Do I need an ink signed FFL or can I run his FFL # through the ATF web site?
     You need to verify the receiving FFL.  Usually done by having them Fax or mail a copy of the license to you.

What do I look for in the ATF web site to be sure that the FFL is legal?
     https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck

Do I need to send it FFL to FFL if its going from NJ to MD?
     Only needs to go to a FFL per ATF regs.  Some FFLs will not accept from non FFL.

Do I have to inform the Post office that its a gun?
     Not sure.  Do Not note the box's contents.  Most of the clerks don't know the regs and will give you a hard time if you tell them there is a rifle in there.

How do I box it up?
     Sturdy cardboard box with some padding at the ends and double lined center is good.

Any tips on shipping?
     I ship Fedex.  About 30% cheaper and insurance is less.  Automatically get tracking #.
Will cost less than $10.00 to ship.  Insurance is about .40 per additional $100.
UPS store and Fedex/Kinkos will not ship firearms.  Have to go to a Hub.  Tell them its machine parts or just parts.

TL1

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:34:16 AM EDT
[#2]
wait so who ships firearms,and who doesnt..legally...I wouldnt want to lie to the company and tell them its "parts" if shipping a gun is against their rules.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:10:34 PM EDT
[#3]
"Any individual may ship to any Federally licensed dealer without restrictions."
The level of authentication required is at your descretion. If you're comfortable that where the rifle is to be shipped is in fact a 01 FFL holder, that's all you really need. That being said, some shippers want assurance that the rifle is going to a licensee. again some do, some don't.
For any interstate transaction, a FFL holder IS required. In state can be considered face to face.

The outside of the package shall not be marked in a mannor to indicate that there's a firearm enclosed. When the "contents" portion is filled out, I usually put in something to indicate, but not give outright disclose the contents. ie: xm15e2s#123456 for Bushmaster XM15-E2S serial number 123456. This information may or may not appear, depending on the company.
IF you have a Federal Express depot nearby, do yourself a favor and set up an on-line account, it's not difficult and has no minimums. Log in, fill in the blanks, print the lable and drop off the package...no questions., no hassels.

The Post Office will only ask if you want insurance and if there's anything breakable, flammable, perishable,.. Seldom is there a need to disclose the contents.

Pack the rifle very well. Seperate and wrap the two halfs well with paper and tape. It should take you fifteen minutes to wrap, and the recipent twenty to get it un-packaged. One way is to buy a hard case, and ask for the box the case came in. Case the rifle, and put the case in the box. Bigger, better, and stronger is the motto for packing guns. YMMV
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:38:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I've sent many long guns out of state. UPS is really the best way to go. It is perfectly legal if it is going to an FFL. As long as you have a signed copy of their FFL then you are all good. You can diclose it as a rifle or just "other." You do not need to legally disclose its contents.

Riese
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:22:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've sent many long guns out of state. UPS is really the best way to go. It is perfectly legal if it is going to an FFL. As long as you have a signed copy of their FFL then you are all good. You can diclose it as a rifle or just "other." You do not need to legally disclose its contents.

Riese

I no longer send copies of my license out to nonlicensees.  The B.A.T.F.E. specifically states that only Licensees need send a certified copy to other Licensees.  Nonlicensees can verify the dealers license via the web or by calling the B.A.T.F.E.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:00:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Legally yes but I always believe in the need to CYA. However, most people are not as mistrusting and plain old paranoid as I am. I guess its an occupational hazard.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Riese

I no longer send copies of my license out to nonlicensees.  The B.A.T.F.E. specifically states that only Licensees need send a certified copy to other Licensees.  Nonlicensees can verify the dealers license via the web or by calling the B.A.T.F.E.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top