Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2005 10:23:18 AM EDT
While pondering a Mosin-Nagant, I suddenly realized alot of the cheap surplus ammo has a steel jacket on its bullet. Now, the law (2C:39-3. Prohibited Weapons and Devices, part F)  prohibits any bullet with a hardness of +72, +.025" thickness or some other non-sense. Would suplus steel-jacket ammo get me in trouble, or is it soft/thin enough to pass muster?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:31:19 AM EDT
[#1]
move...even if it means moving to NY...you dont have to deal with those ludacris laws.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:43:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't worry about it. Who will ever do a hardness test on your ammo? Would they even know how to use a hardness gauge?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:54:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
move...even if it means moving to NY...you dont have to deal with those ludacris laws.

I think he meant ridiculous.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:09:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think he meant ridiculous.

I thought he was referring to the gun laws that were passed into law by the rapper Ludacris.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 8:47:04 PM EDT
[#5]
i thought ludacris lived in "gorgia"
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:41:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Go toeither of these two forums.  Both have areas dedicated to shooting surplus ammo.  Your questions can be answered there.

http://www.gunboards.com/forums/

http://pub113.ezboard.com/bparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums

The jacket on your ammo is not steel.  It is most likely plated copper.  It may have a steel core.  Steel jackets will wear out a barrel real quick.  Some ammo has nickel coated copper.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:05:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Wait, I re-read the laws and it seems that the no-ap only applies to pistol ammo. Seeing as that no sane person has mass-produced a pistol in 7.62x54R, it shouldn't matter if I get an old spam-can of steel-core stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top