Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/6/2005 8:07:08 AM EDT
Are there any places in Northern NJ (I'm in Bergen)that you can go to and plink/shoot. Since it seems that Cherry Ridge is pretty conservative, I was wondering if there is State Land or some other places that you could shoot without hassle. I know in my immediate area it's way too congested, but I'm thinking Sussex might have some places.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 10:25:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd love to know as well. Ft. Dix is fun and all, but every time I see people post pics where they where off in the woods/desert/quarry and are shooting up burned out cars, propane tanks and stuff, I cant help but envy them.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 11:33:09 AM EDT
[#2]
not in NJ as far as i know.
all i can say is buy 10 acres somewhere
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#3]
tag

I would like to know too.
I want to shoot steel reactive targets, but cant do so at Cherry Ridge

I once went to a friends house in central jersey and shot in his back yard
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 6:49:14 PM EDT
[#4]
there is a range called central jersey rifle and pistol
i think they have plinkin type range,i dont know about those steel targets though.

i heard its nice,you have to join.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 9:05:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I may be way off but I doubt it............I don't think there is ANY PLACE on the east coast from
Massachusetts down that you can shoot a gun (plink, not hunt) anywhere outside that isn't a designated range. I Suppose if you have a huge tract of land with no neighbors for miles but realistically how many places exist like that? I don't think that average joe can drive somewhere get out and just "open up".  I did this same thing in my hometown of Miami Florida several years ago. Drove out to my favorite and very secluded fishing hole and when I was done fishin I started up with my Ruger .22. While reloading my mags, a wildlife officer drove up, read me the big-time riot act,  threatened to confiscate my crappy little gun and basically ran me off. Last time for that.......this is IMHO, YMMV
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:04:18 AM EDT
[#6]
There are a quite a few places in NY where you can shoot on your own property.

Most are upstate though, and there are restrictions on how far from a public road /dwelling you can be.

'Drew
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 1:08:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Vadge:

Where in Bergen Co. ??? Just moved back to Bergen Co. after 2 + years in Somerset Co.
Looking for a new place to shoot as both Hoboken and Paterson closed down. I heard that
the town I just moved into has a range but its been kinda hard to get info on it. BTW its
Ridgefield, NJ
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 2:22:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Vadge:

Where in Bergen Co. ??? Just moved back to Bergen Co. after 2 + years in Somerset Co.
Looking for a new place to shoot as both Hoboken and Paterson closed down. I heard that
the town I just moved into has a range but its been kinda hard to get info on it. BTW its
Ridgefield, NJ

Yes, Paterson closed down but that was only for pistols upto 25 yrds

Go to cherry Ridge for rifle but its getting boring.

Palisades Park here - next town over.

Link Posted: 12/7/2005 4:12:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Vadge:

Ridgefield, NJ

I'm in Waldwick. Believe it or not, my town has its own pistol range. It's only open on Saturday AMs though and I haven't been able to get in touch with the club president to join. Only residents can shoot however. Apparently, like all things involving guns in NJ, even joining a range I am entitled to join, is a pain in the ass. Go figure.

I haven't even been up to Cherry Ridge yet, but I've been told it's decent. However, I think the ROs are probably real thickheaded with regard to double taps and whatnot.

Where's the Central Jersey range...what town?
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 7:03:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Vadge:

Ridgefield, NJ

I'm in Waldwick. Believe it or not, my town has its own pistol range. It's only open on Saturday AMs though and I haven't been able to get in touch with the club president to join. Only residents can shoot however. Apparently, like all things involving guns in NJ, even joining a range I am entitled to join, is a pain in the ass. Go figure.

I haven't even been up to Cherry Ridge yet, but I've been told it's decent. However, I think the ROs are probably real thickheaded with regard to double taps and whatnot.

I believe its in Jackson

Cherry Ridge ROs are a buncg of A-holes. The older heavy guy seems nice but the short cross eyed guy and the old skinny guy that lives there are a-holes. Im shocked no one hasnt shot one of them yet. They can get very rude. They really get in your face and yell at you. I have seen it happen to others. Very unprofessional!
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 7:07:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I was also wondering about places to shoot in North NJ. I went to Ramsey Outdoor last week and asked the guy if he knew of any ranges in the area. He handed me a list of 15 ranges, in NJ, NY and PA.

The NJ ranges from the list that will host rifles are: Cherry Ridge Range-membership in Highland Lakes (already mentioned), Fox Ridge Range in Sussex and Tenafly Rifle & Pistol Club-membership (some rifles, not sure what that means).

Unfortunately most rifle ranges are south, which means a lot of travel from where I live in Garfield.

^_^_^
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 2:24:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Central Jersey Rifle and Pistol Club, located in Jackson, NJ.

www.cjrpc.com/

There are specific rules for use and weapons allowed in the "pits" at CJ but for the most part, you can plink all you wish.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 5:06:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Damn, you guys are right near me - we gotta get together and shoot at some point.
I just moved back from Branchburg after a 2 year "experiment" as I wanted to live
a more rural home life. 2 years later she's miserable and slowly making me as well .
While down there I would shoot at Ray's but now its a minor haul so I need to explore the town range first and then go from there if that not an option.

mirror: ever heard of Meltzer's ??     They've lightened my wallet on more than one
occasion

EDIT: What I really want to find is a place where I can practice and someday compete
in some sort of action shooting whether its idpa or whatever other alphabet soup org is out there.
Nearest place I've found so far is in Old Bridge but I'd hate to lay out $$$ to shoot near home when I want to for fun AND join a facility that hosts action shooting events - just don't
have the time or mula
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 7:27:31 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
What I really want to find is a place where I can practice and someday compete
in some sort of action shooting whether its idpa or whatever other alphabet soup org is out there.
Nearest place I've found so far is in Old Bridge but I'd hate to lay out $$$ to shoot near home when I want to for fun AND join a facility that hosts action shooting events - just don't
have the time or mula hinking.gif

Me too...Punching paper gets boring after a while especially if you can't shoot an AR the way it' supposed to be shot because the range is very conservative. I think that getting involved in competition is the best way to go, but it sucks that there is NO PLACE TO PRACTICE, so what's the point? It blows.

Driving to Jackson is just too far. 4 hours round trip to shoot for 2 hours (maybe). It's closer for us in North NJ to drive an hour north to the New Paltz area or southern Catskills. Then, you get into the whole interstate thing, but then again, how many guys from NJ hunt in NYS. About all of them....
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 1:49:15 PM EDT
[#15]
FWIW, I've been a member of the NJRPC for many years. I've never had range privileges at Cherry Ridge because I had my own land in upstate NY to shoot and hunt on. That situation changed and I went out to CR on a membership Sunday to sign up for range privileges. While waiting for things to start I observed some ignorant goober go up to someone carrying what appeared to be a rifle case for an AR. To quote this "person" exactly, "We don't like none of them murder guns here. You don't belong here." I decided that neither did I. It's been a long time since I've practiced a buttstroke with an M16, but if that had been said to me, the goober would have been picking both of his teeth out of the back of his throat. On top of that I've heard the rangemaster leaves much to be desired in any number of areas.
FWIW
YMMV
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 5:59:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Vadge:

I gotta think that if a club offers / hosts these type of events, you must be able to practice
- at least during a dedicated set of hours for said practice??????
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 6:02:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
<snip> "We don't like none of them murder guns here. You don't belong here." <snip>

Muawhooohooohohoooahahahaha!
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 6:21:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Considering that I only shoot "those murder guns" has got me thinking --- I do get the feeling that the staff over there are trying to piss off the "AR" crowd to the point that they'll just not re-up their membership.   If thats what they plan on doing, I might as well just give them something to piss THEM off -- as in some controlled rapid firing when they are out of sight, just so they have to come a running.  

They're whole attitute IS pissing me off, so much so that Ft Dix and CJRP are looking like viable alternatives.  I live in Union County -- so its not like I have any more of a drive to get to the southern ranges.

I was yelled at for double taps -- as in bang bang .... bang bang -- all at the 50 yrd line - all hitting center rings.  But some dude was dumping pistol rounds like it was going out of style --- and all was ok for that.  I know I had better hits,  I really do think its a mindset of anti AR at work.

End of rant.

J223...
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 6:29:40 PM EDT
[#19]
What if you/a friend have a seaworthy boat, cruised into non-US waters (12 miles out I think?) and decided to punish a few 50gal drum or a propane tank out there on the high seas? Would that be legal? I know the waves and pitching deck would make accurate shots unfeasable (unless the sea was glass-smooth), but for simple plinkings and garbage-shooting, it seems ideal (assuming you watch downrange for other boats and ships).
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 6:53:43 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I observed some ignorant goober go up to someone carrying what appeared to be a rifle case for an AR. To quote this "person" exactly, "We don't like none of them murder guns here. You don't belong here." I decided that neither did I.

You should have asked this DICK if he was Management or something and if there was official written policy supporting his comments - if not tell him then tell him now to fuck off.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 7:02:53 PM EDT
[#21]
FYI I have NEVER seen that kind of attitude against specific kinds of guns out of any of the Cherry Ridge staff. There are always ARs on the line at CR.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 3:39:35 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Vadge:

Ridgefield, NJ

I believe its in Jackson

Cherry Ridge ROs are a buncg of A-holes. The older heavy guy seems nice but the short cross eyed guy and the old skinny guy that lives there are a-holes. Im shocked no one hasnt shot one of them yet. They can get very rude. They really get in your face and yell at you. I have seen it happen to others. Very unprofessional!

Like that would be a smart thing to do.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 4:12:40 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I observed some ignorant goober go up to someone carrying what appeared to be a rifle case for an AR. To quote this "person" exactly, "We don't like none of them murder guns here. You don't belong here." I decided that neither did I.

You should have asked this DICK if he was Management or something and if there was official written policy supporting his comments - if not tell him then tell him now to fuck off.

+1
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 4:25:05 AM EDT
[#24]
That's really hard to believe. Not that I doubt you though. Come on down to CJRPC, you can shoot all the "evil" guns you want as fast as you want too. I should know, I've been doing it there for the last 18 years!!!!

If anyone wants to come on down and shoot on a Sunday, just IM me.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 8:09:28 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
FYI I have NEVER seen that kind of attitude against specific kinds of guns out of any of the Cherry Ridge staff. There are always ARs on the line at CR.

+1

When Post Ban ARs and M1A were ruled legal in NJ in 97-98 IRRC they popped up on the lines at CR almost overnight.  If anyone has seen the 200/300yd line on a National Match day about 95% of the rifles up there were ARs.  Jim the head range master who lives there has an AR.  

Only time I have heard stuff like that is from Elmer Fuds who have only owned a 30-30, 12ga and a .22 in there lives.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 11:13:12 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
That's really hard to believe. Not that I doubt you though. Come on down to CJRPC, you can shoot all the "evil" guns you want as fast as you want too. I should know, I've been doing it there for the last 18 years!!!!

Quick question -- on any given busy day, is there a shortage of stalls available to use -- never seen the layout before , nor how crowded it can get.

Thanks ,

J223...
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 11:24:52 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quick question -- on any given busy day, is there a shortage of stalls available to use -- never seen the layout before , nor how crowded it can get.

Thanks ,

J223...

Extremely rare. Only time in 18 years I've had to wait for a table is just before hunting season when all the hunters come out to recheck the zero on their deer rifles. Wait time at worst was less than 45 minutes. I shoot normally every Sunday afternoon. Never a problem.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 3:13:56 AM EDT
[#28]
I am a member of both CJ & OB and the USPSA match director at OB.

Both CJ & OB are good ranges-if youre shooting a rifle CJ should be considered "better" because it has a 300 yd pit.  OB on the other hand only has a 100 yd rifle range BUT at OB you can shoot your rifle in the smaller "pistol" pits and set up targets at angles into the side berms.  At CJ you may only use the common firing line pits to shoot rifle and thus have to wait for others to get done with their shooting and you can only shoot pretty much stright down range.

Both CJ & OB allow steel targets.

Dave M.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 12:55:08 PM EDT
[#29]
I drove up to Cherry Ridge this afternoon to scope it out. It was deserted. Two guys on the 300yd and not one gun between them.

I went in spoke to the on-duty RO and asked him some pretty "direct" questions:

1) What's the deal with rapid fire? There are a bunch of signs that say "No irresponsible rapid fire". What exactly does "irresponsible" mean, Mr. RO?

"You CAN double tap, but we must be able to count the shots. If you shoot faster than we can count, that's a bad thing."

2) I've heard the ARs and other black guns are not welcomed here. Is this place anti-black gun or what?

"Who told you that? We DO NOT enforce AW gun regs here except that we do not allow stockless rifles or shotguns. We hold AR competitions here. Whoever told you that those types of guns are not appreciated here has an alternate agenda."

3) Do you permit IDPA style shooting?

"Sort of...we host Police Combat competitions here but you must be tied to LE somehow. A woman here is a receptionist for the county jail and she can compete.

So, basically Mr. RO, if my next door neighbor is a cop and I rub his head before I come here, I can compete?

"I suppose..."

4) If I come here at 10AM on a Wednesday and no one else is here, I can pretty much do my own thing and will never see a RO?

"We let this place run itself for the most part and leave it to the members to report things they are not happy with on the range"

So, Mr. RO, if there's no one here to give a shit about me rapid firing, I guess I could rapid fire, right?

"No comment"

For $175, I will probably join and just go off hours to avoid aggravation. At least it's a nice drive.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 1:25:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Jim who lives there is tall an thin. - He always comes out to see who's making the noise and to check if the shooter is a member.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 2:59:45 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I drove up to Cherry Ridge this afternoon to scope it out. It was deserted. Two guys on the 300yd and not one gun between them.

I went in spoke to the on-duty RO and asked him some pretty "direct" questions:

1) What's the deal with rapid fire? There are a bunch of signs that say "No irresponsible rapid fire". What exactly does "irresponsible" mean, Mr. RO?

"You CAN double tap, but we must be able to count the shots. If you shoot faster than we can count, that's a bad thing."

2) I've heard the ARs and other black guns are not welcomed here. Is this place anti-black gun or what?

"Who told you that? We DO NOT enforce AW gun regs here except that we do not allow stockless rifles or shotguns. We hold AR competitions here. Whoever told you that those types of guns are not appreciated here has an alternate agenda."

"Sort of...we host Police Combat competitions here but you must be tied to LE somehow. A woman here is a receptionist for the county jail and she can compete.

So, basically Mr. RO, if my next door neighbor is a cop and I rub his head before I come here, I can compete?

"I suppose..."

4) If I come here at 10AM on a Wednesday and no one else is here, I can pretty much do my own thing and will never see a RO?

"We let this place run itself for the most part and leave it to the members to report things they are not happy with on the range"

So, Mr. RO, if there's no one here to give a shit about me rapid firing, I guess I could rapid fire, right?

"No comment"

For $175, I will probably join and just go off hours to avoid aggravation. At least it's a nice drive.

Just to let you know there is always a range officer or 2 there at all times.  

Matt
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 3:28:30 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

"Sort of...we host Police Combat competitions here but you must be tied to LE somehow.

Wonder if they practice this move in "Police Combat":

Police Combat

(and no, I'm not in any way anti-cop...)
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 4:08:13 PM EDT
[#33]
That pisses me off. I was going to look into their police combat thing, but I'm not a LEO. Oh well.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 8:08:27 PM EDT
[#34]
that bitch is fucked up. she could have killed the other officer.
that round could of went anywhere. holy shit.
wow.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 6:13:43 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Sort of...we host Police Combat competitions here but you must be tied to LE somehow.

Wonder if they practice this move in "Police Combat":

Police Combat

(and no, I'm not in any way anti-cop...)

Musta been one of those Glock 3.5lbs. triggers,
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 7:31:34 AM EDT
[#36]
As per the comment the RO made about Double Taps and rapid firing  --- I have no hidden agenda. To be quite honest, I really like Cherry Ridge for its layout, location, facilities.  IMO it offers a first rate club for a very good membership rate.... That being said, I will put the words of THIS Range Officer to the test.  Problem is, the words of one RO doesn't include the standards that another RO may go by --- THATS the problem with Cherry Ridge.  

I've seen different standards applied by different RO's.  My Double tap's are clearly countable, and within the realm of good marksmanshinp for this technique.  But I was absolutely yelled at.  I consider myself a gentileman in my conduct with all who work there,  and respect their rules. I am also in Law Enforcement, that is to say I take proper handling of weapons seriously, and that also reflects in my use of the trigger.

This maybe the last year for me over there if I feel that certain RO's are indeed heavy handed in their criticisms.  I will hold the RO accountable IF it ever happens again.  As in I will take my target to the highest ranking RO and demand what criteria is being used to define reckless when all my rounds find ther mark AND you can clearly count the shots taken.  I hope this will not happen.  

J223...
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 8:45:14 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Jim who lives there is tall an thin. - He always comes out to see who's making the noise and to check if the shooter is a member.

Jim is the biggest of the RO A-holes. From what I understand he had to take a sensitivity class because many members have been complaining about his unprofessionalism.  

He also lives there and if the range closes he would lose his home. I guess he has nothing else in his pathetic little life.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 10:49:15 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jim is the biggest of the RO A-holes. From what I understand he had to take a sensitivity class because many members have been complaining about his unprofessionalism.  

He also lives there and if the range closes he would lose his home. I guess he has nothing else in his pathetic little life.

If you do not like it then fucking leave.  
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 11:53:19 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't say I didn't like the range. I said I didn't like the ROs.
If you want me to leave dick head try and make me!
Hate when wussies talk tough on line.
Would be glad to meet you at the range any time Im free if you want to discuss it further.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 1:59:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Come on down to CJRPC!! I shot for 3 hours this afternoon totally unmolested as usual! It's fun to shoot with a little snow on the ground.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 3:44:51 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Or, as in my case, pull your membership app out of the mailbox and run it and the $175 check thru the shredder.

Management has a decision to make regarding their ROs...
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 3:45:24 PM EDT
[#42]
do you need a member to sponsor you?? at cjrpc.  isnt it a bit expensive for the first year?
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 3:59:36 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
do you need a member to sponsor you?? at cjrpc.  isnt it a bit expensive for the first year?

Yeah, so what!!!!!!!! After the first year it's only $100.00 a year. What do you care anyway, you live in PA right??????n
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 4:14:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Cherry Ridge is 125 per year and also have an initial fee of 50 bux  I think
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 4:21:58 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or, as in my case, pull your membership app out of the mailbox and run it and the $175 check thru the shredder.

That I can agree with 100%.   Hopefully you may change your mind in the future as CR is a really nice place to shoot.  

ETA I just take issue with people making stupid comments about shooting the ROs and calling them assholes.  There #1 priority up there is saftey.  If anyone get shot up there good by CR as the State will close that place down in a heart beat.  

Matt
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 4:47:41 PM EDT
[#46]
i shoot in NJ  and PA. and even TEXAS.
always lookin for a new place,why not??  you still didnt answer my question.
if you need a sponsor.
does it matter where i live ??
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 4:56:08 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
i shoot in NJ  and PA. and even TEXAS.
always lookin for a new place,why not??  you still didnt answer my question.
if you need a sponsor.
does it matter where i live ??

No sponsor, just join!
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 4:59:04 PM EDT
[#48]
cool , thanks.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 3:41:26 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

That I can agree with 100%.   Hopefully you may change your mind in the future as CR is a really nice place to shoot.  

Matt

When they get their professional conduct straightened out, I'm there.

Until then, it's only an extra 20min to the range in PA.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:03:58 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ETA I just take issue with people making stupid comments about shooting the ROs and calling them assholes.  There #1 priority up there is saftey.   If anyone get shot up there good by CR as the State will close that place down in a heart beat.  

Matt

I didn't say I would shoot them. I said that Im shocked someone hasnt done it. I have seen the ROs in action with other people and they are very unprofessional.  A RO or anyone else shouldn't get in your face and yelling at you like an a$$hole. You can enforced the rules with out yelling like a mad man. The ROs at Cherry Ridge are wrong for the way they handle themselves and some of the rules they have dont make sense. If I rapid fire at my target ant all shots are with in the target its not reckless. Other then the ROs the place is nice to shoot at. Anyway this might be my last year their if the other range isn't too far.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top