Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2005 10:38:50 AM EDT
I ordered some  .30 and .50 "Class A" ammo cans from Wideners. They were less then $5 a can including shipping.

"GRADE A - This grade of cans has little or no rust and the paint is intact. The seal is intact"

www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=16|616
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 2:46:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag
Link Posted: 10/28/2005 7:20:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I got my cans yesterday from. The .30 cal cans look almost unused with a few scuff marks. Some of the .50 cans have some surface rust but are in excellent condition with intact seals and no rust in the interior of the cans.

All in all they are better then I expected and a good deal for about $4.75 a can shipped. Shipping charges could be higher depending on where you live though.
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 12:15:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Question on this, while I'm thinking about it.  Are these USGI surplus, or no-name kans?  I like the cans with the milspec writing on the side
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 1:10:10 PM EDT
[#4]
The 8-pack of .50cal cans I bought from Wideners were labeled as artillery fuses.  They had minor rust at the welded seams externally, but perfect internally.  I soaked them in WD40 to break up the rust, will probably apply some of my leftover rust-inhibiting paint on the seams but otherwise they're good to go.

Wideners also had plenty of XM193 5.56mm ammunition, which was what I was shooting (along w/ Wolf) at Dix last Sunday.  Of the 500rds I inspected and put in strippers, only 1 had dents in the neck that compelled me to discard.  
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 2:07:29 PM EDT
[#5]
All the cans are USGI. I doesn't look like Wideners has any more of the  "A" grade .50 cans currently in stock. You might want to call them and see if they're getting anymore in. They do have the "B" grade cans and according to the website they have plenty of "A" grade .30 cal cans in stock.
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 2:07:40 PM EDT
[#6]
That's fine, but I've seen some no-nake kans which are military lookalikes and I figure they suck.  Doesn't matter to me what they're labled, as long as they're real...but the mispec writing is a + .

I have 1000 rounds of Adcom stuff from AIM which was pretty cheap, and as soon as I get my AR15 I'll shoot that up and then be back in the market for more .

Edit: Damn, I see they're out of the .50 cal.  It's really one of the lowest prices I've seen, too.  I guess I'll give them a call and see what's what.
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 4:20:28 PM EDT
[#7]
My .50 cans were a mix of fuze cans and 85 rd .50 cal ammo cans. The .30 cans were 250 rd ammo cans.
Link Posted: 11/10/2005 3:04:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I can't imagine paying for ammo cans. Well, I take that back; I have bought a  couple of larger ones over the years from Army Navy stores that I couldn't get for free at the ASP.
Link Posted: 11/10/2005 4:54:37 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I can't imagine paying for ammo cans. Well, I take that back; I have bought a  couple of larger ones over the years from Army Navy stores that I couldn't get for free at the ASP.

Where's the ASP?  I'd love some free ammo cans.
Link Posted: 11/10/2005 8:47:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where's the ASP?  I'd love some free ammo cans.

Ammunition Supply Point - You need a friend in the military!
Link Posted: 11/10/2005 9:22:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Darn tootin'.  A good friend of mine is former marine, but I don't think that'll help.  Which reminds me, I need to wish him a happy Veteran's Day.

I have a measly 3 ammo cans, two of which were owned by my wife's Grandfather, and are in poor condition.  If I had taken one more box of ammo to the range for the pumpkin blast it wouldn't have fit in the cans.
Link Posted: 11/10/2005 9:42:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Darn tootin'.  A good friend of mine is former marine, but I don't think that'll help.  Which reminds me, I need to wish him a happy Veteran's Day...

Don't forget to wish him a Happy Birthday too! (USMC birthday is 10 November) Same goes for any other Devil Dogs around these parts!
Link Posted: 11/10/2005 1:34:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Yup, I did that as well
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 4:16:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Got my cans from Widener's.  I'm a little upset about the cost of shipping them (38.50), but I guess it couldn't have gotten much better no matter where I ordered from (even though I was eyeing a few places online).  I bought 8 .50 cal and 6 .30 cal.  The .30 cal look almost completely unused, except for one that has a bent pull handle (not the latching handle), but I can easily live with that as otherwise they're like new.  All seals are intact and there is no rust whatsoever.  The .50 cal are obviously used, but all seals are intact and no rust internally.  One can has oily residue in it, and another has a bunch of little metal bits (like pencil graphite?  Weird).  One can has tan spraypaint on one side and the top, so it looks kinda camo'd (which is kinda neat).  All cans have exterior rust, mostly around weld seams/handle, and one has bubbled paint all over.  I guess I need to pick me up a big ole can of WD40 and give them the soak!  If I buy ammo cans again, I'll probably give another place a try, though.

Now I just need to hurry up and clean the .50s so I can put my ammo in them!
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 6:14:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I'm a little upset about the cost of shipping them (38.50), but I guess it couldn't have gotten much better no matter where I ordered from (even though I was eyeing a few places online).  

That can't be correct. My shipping was only $34 for the same amount of cans and that included 30lbs of XM193 and some other stuff. Call or e-mail them and ask them to recalculate the shipping for the cans.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 6:54:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, I already paid, but I'll e-mail them just the same to make sure.  I sure hope it's a mistake.  Honestly that's my biggest problem with my order.  The shipping was almost as much as the cans themselves!  Lucky I didn't order any ammo, too!  .

Edit:  Sorry, I made a mistake in the shipping cost, it was 35.31, although it still seemed high to me.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:56:23 AM EDT
[#17]
I jsut came across this thread. When I try and order 24 .30 cal cans they want to charge me $55 for ground shipping!
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:34:46 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm not all that happy with my order, the quality, and the overall cost, so I probably won't do business with them again.  At least I have ammo cans now .
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:56:33 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I jsut came across this thread. When I try and order 24 .30 cal cans they want to charge me $55 for ground shipping!

I don't think their website calculates the shipping charges correctly. Call them or e-mail them and ask them to calculate the shipping charges for you based on you zip code and place the order over the phone. Don't forget it's based on UPS zones so shipping charges will vary based on the distance from Johnson City, TN.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:08:14 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't think their website calculates the shipping charges correctly. Call them or e-mail them and ask them to calculate the shipping charges for you based on you zip code and place the order over the phone. Don't forget it's based on UPS zones so shipping charges will vary based on the distance from Johnson City, TN.

Thanks, I'll try calling them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top