Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2005 12:02:04 PM EDT
    Alright guys I need some help.  Another board member already answered my question but I'm still confused.  My original question was if by living in NY I can legally buy preban guns out of state and have them shipped in state ( via FFL of course?)  
    So I locate this nice Hungarian SA85(underfolder) in CT. However, on the owners website he states that no one who lives in a state that has an AWB can purchase the rifle.  I didn't think this made any sense so I e-mail him.  
    He just got back to me and let me know that he was pretty sure he could not sell it to me but did not know for fact.  He basically said talk to your FFL, if its legit, get back to me.  My FFL is just as confused as I am with these crazy laws.  We both have never attempted this type of transaction.
Any help would be much obliged.  

Thanks for the time, sorry for the rant!
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 2:29:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:08:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is the New York AWB-  www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=24

Go to 265.22(e)(v) for the grandfather clause.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2005 5:25:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't know nuthin' about Hungarian chicom gunz. It appears if the rifle was imported by Kassnar it is a preban.  If this accurately describes your rifle you should be OK. If it was legally imported in 1986 it would  meet the definition of a NY AWB "preban" as well as predating the 89' import ban.

You should be able to verify the import date by the serial number. I'm sure some AK variant weenie could give you some additional info about your rifle.

kalashnikov.guns.ru/wwwboard/messages/2993.html

"All SA-85M's marked "Kassnar Imports, Inc." were imported into the US during a 9 month period in 1986. There were only 7,000 of these pre-ban guns imported, (3,000 full stocks, 4,000 folders)."

www.gunsnet.net/forums/printthread.php?t=68365

"Hungarian AKM export model from FEG. Early pre '89 ban models were imported to the US by Kassar, both full stock and underfolders are highly sought after items. Postban SA85M were imported by KBI and these came with thumbhole stocks. Some SA85M came with shorterned gas tube. All these have blonde Hungarian steamed Elm woodstock, a trademark of Hungarian AK. Below is the FEG marking and a converted postban SA85M, note the lack of cleaning rod."

www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?t=33990

"In my hand is the Kassnar Hungarian AKM manual dated 1986. The 2cd to last page has specifications for both the full stock and folder. BOTH are called model SA-85M. And since the post-bans where still years away, it is certain that ALL Hungarians were called SA-85M as my post-ban is clearly marked on the side. To avoid confusion use this method as the FINAL WORD:

Kassnar = pre-ban (no exceptions)
K.B.I. = post-ban

there are NO "transition models" despite what some shit-sack scumbag lying dealer may try to tell you. All the pre-ban Hungarians were imported in 1986 and all the post-bans several years AFTER the ban making it immpossible to have one caught in customs. If it folds and says Kassnar its the real deal. If it folds and says KBI, offer the guy $300 since you will now have the honor of paying to have it reconfigured to a legal style. I am absolutely positive this information is correct."

For some other pics:

www.warrifles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12532

Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:24:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks to all those who replied!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top