Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2005 3:59:52 PM EDT
how hard is it to get a nj ffl for a home based business.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:55:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Lots of red tape but it can be done at with considerable expense.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:01:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I used to have a FFL but during the Clinton Regime I received a call from the friendly ATF agent and he wanted to stop by and have a look at my record books. Since I didn't have a NJ state firearms license,  I was unable to engage in firearms business. The reason that I was unable to get a State license was that  the local ZONING official had stated that my zoning would not allow me to engage in the firearms business on my property. Quite a few people lost their licenses to this loophole. When I approached the local chief of police with my license renewal application he signed it saying that he didn't have any problem with my renewal of my license. Next I went to the Zoning official and she said that it wasn't allowed in a residential area. I had a friend that was going to let me use a closet in his doctor's office and she said that the zoning wasn't correct to be able to operate out of his office. So when the ATF agent came for a visit, he left with my FFL. No renewal. The government reduced the amount of FFL's by 2/3 at that time. So before you waste any time on  procuring a FFL, call the local zoning official and the State Police and see what they say about operating out of your home. The state Police have a list of requirements that tend to get pretty expensive if you think you are going to have a hobby business, think again.  
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 3:54:44 AM EDT
[#3]
sounds like a pain in the a.. and not worth it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:13:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I have been trying for almost 4 yrs now....In my town they are giving me a hard time for not being Industrial Zoned. So I guess the DDS, MD's , Private Eye Accupuncturist and even the Real Estate needs to get out. Also the Woman who has a Mail Order Business and a Bakery out of her home...OUT of There.

I have been down to Town Hall and some other places. Now if I could afford a lawyer to show them I mean business.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 6:24:26 PM EDT
[#5]
It seems that the political machine has found a way to limit the number of FFL's in the US. The only way to get around the law is to have a shop in a industrial park or other properly  zoned area. I knew a gunsmith that worked for a machine shop and  was able to use the equipment  in the shop which was properly zoned. He moved to Florida before all of this nonsense started. If space in the properly zoned areas is available  that would be an ideal place to set up shop. Any person that may work for you in the business and has access to the firearms has to be fingerprinted and possibly bonded. Some people don't want to go through the trouble and the background check. These background checks can can be troublesome especially if the person is a felon or has a domestic violence problem. Domestic violence can occur for many reasons as simple as you raising your voice, wife calling the cops,you now have a criminal record. I think this question, which now is on the 4473 form, is being used to create a situation that you lied or incorrectly answered a question when obtaining a firearm. It seems that answering a question incorrectly can have some pretty severe repercussions. So be extra careful how you fill out any forms and make sure to keep a copy in case you ever need to refer to it again in the future.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top