Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2005 2:06:17 PM EDT
I am tring to buy a small enclosed trailer and I need to have a class 3 hitch installed on my Jeep. Does anyone know of a good place in L.I. that can do this?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:24:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Look in Newsday classified for the trailer.  It is listed before the the auto section.  You can get great deals.  My friend got an enclosed trailer for his quads for $1000 less than the dealer wanted and the trailer was in great shape.
What kind of Jeep do you have?  If it is a 99 or later Grand Cherokee you can put a class III on yourself no problem.  The bolt holes are already there and the wiring is just plug and play.
Good Luck
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:23:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:35:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys, I'll be visiting J&J Trailers in Bohemia and see what they have.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:38:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Look in Newsday classified for the trailer.  It is listed before the the auto section.  You can get great deals.  My friend got an enclosed trailer for his quads for $1000 less than the dealer wanted and the trailer was in great shape.
What kind of Jeep do you have?  If it is a 99 or later Grand Cherokee you can put a class III on yourself no problem.  The bolt holes are already there and the wiring is just plug and play.
Good Luck

I am not sure about that, I have the Grand Cherokee Overland, the rear bumper has this wrap around plastic, I think they may have to cut out a piece to install the hitch. I am not sure, I have to look some more into that.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:50:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:09:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey Bear,
You're in luck with the Overland.  It comes standard with the skid plate package and rear tow hooks.  I have a Grand Cherokee Limited with the tow hooks same set up.  The bolts that hold the tow hooks in are the exact spot that the trailer hitch mounts to.
The trailer hitch that you have to cut the bumper cover for is only available from Jeep (Mopar).  It is a kit that makes the install look factory original.  You can get any brand of aftermarket hitch and it will mount under the rear bumper cover with NO cutting.  The brand that I have is hidden hitch.  It round and low profile.  It's easy to take off  if you need to.  4 big bolts hold it on.  Comes with good instructions.
Hope this helps.

Edit:  forgot to add this great Jeep website 4 u explains everything is detail

www.wjjeeps.com/jmenu.htm
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:11:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Hey Bear,
You're in luck with the Overland.  It comes standard with the skid plate package and rear tow hooks.  I have a Grand Cherokee Limited with the tow hooks same set up.  The bolts that hold the tow hooks in are the exact spot that the trailer hitch mounts to.
The trailer hitch that you have to cut the bumper cover for is only available from Jeep (Mopar).  It is a kit that makes the install look factory original.  You can get any brand of aftermarket hitch and it will mount under the rear bumper cover with NO cutting.  The brand that I have is hidden hitch.  It round and low profile.  It's easy to take off  if you need to.  4 big bolts hold it on.  Comes with good instructions.
Hope this helps.

John, thanks man. I'll check it out.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:01:21 AM EDT
[#8]
the hitch you need for the jeep grand cherokee is available at many uhaul dealers for the cheapest way to get it installed.it sits directly under the bumper and is pretty unobtrusive to the eye. the dealer way is the most expensive if your vehicle did noit come with one
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:48:21 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
the hitch you need for the jeep grand cherokee is available at many uhaul dealers for the cheapest way to get it installed.it sits directly under the bumper and is pretty unobtrusive to the eye. the dealer way is the most expensive if your vehicle did noit come with one

You are not kidding! They wanted $650.00
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:25:13 PM EDT
[#10]
the hitch you need is a drawtite #75139 you can put it in yourself or have someone put it on for you its a class 3 and will tow up to 10,000 lbs
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:11:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Hey Bear,
You're in luck with the Overland.  It comes standard with the skid plate package and rear tow hooks.  I have a Grand Cherokee Limited with the tow hooks same set up. The bolts that hold the tow hooks in are the exact spot that the trailer hitch mounts to.

Hope this helps.

Well, tomorrow in installation day! If they have to use the holes where the hooks are now, does that mean that the hooks are history?

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:27:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry Bear,
I was upstate.  You can use the tow hooks if you want.  There is also an hitch attachment that you can use as a tow hook.  I have one for my other car and it works great.  Much higher up so you don't have to bend way over to get to the hook.  Hope the install went well.

Here is a link for an example of the tow hook insert
www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=E&Product_Code=D-325&Category_Code=OR
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:27:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Sorry Bear,
I was upstate.  You can use the tow hooks if you want.  There is also an hitch attachment that you can use as a tow hook.  I have one for my other car and it works great.  Much higher up so you don't have to bend way over to get to the hook.  Hope the install went well.

Here is a link for an example of the tow hook insert
www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=E&Product_Code=D-325&Category_Code=OR

The installation went OK. I am glad I paid for someone else do it, I would have gone nuts, I don't think it was easy. It took them 2 1/2 hours.  
Now I can hook anything I want to my Jeep.    

Thanks for all your help.

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:29:53 PM EDT
[#14]
And this is the first thing I am buying, I am tired of people bumping my Jeep in the rear.

It serves as a step and as a "stay away from my ass, you bitch"  
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:01:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:07:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Use a hook or a drop down hitch. I've seen more cars get damaged by hitting a drop down hitch tho.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:12:33 PM EDT
[#17]
My friend bought one of those, it might sit too low to protect the bumper.  So check it out before you get it.  He settled on a hitch that put the ball high enough to protect the bumper.

Quoted:
And this is the first thing I am buying, I am tired of people bumping my Jeep in the rear.

ekeystone.com/images/00/partimages/G26/360c.jpg

It serves as a step and as a "stay away from my ass, you bitch"  

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:52:27 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
My friend bought one of those, it might sit too low to protect the bumper.  So check it out before you get it.  He settled on a hitch that put the ball high enough to protect the bumper.

I thought about that, but that ball looks a little cheezy to me, some how I think you are going to be right and I may have to settle for the cheezy look. I hope not, I already bought that thing.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:00:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
you need to weld some spikes on to it

Great freacking idea,
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:40:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Bear,
The install looks great.  Very clean Jeep.  Here is a link for an idea to add a tow hook to the Jeep.  Also, it will punish anybody that runs into it!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top