Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2005 3:17:05 AM EDT
So driving around since last week I have noticed two man teams of guys with Trimble GPS
units on one guys' back getting numbers of, wait for it........lamp posts in the village and midtown.
They then afix a metal band (like the band that holds your radiator hose) around the lamp post.
I tried to ask one of these guys what they're doing but he was deeply into his clipboard notes.
He didn't want to be bugged at all. So I yelled at him (from my car) hey you with the clipboard!
He was a little surprised that I knew it was a GPS on his back. They have the antenna on a two
foot high aluminum pole, the top of which is about the size of a 25 pack of CD's. Plus it says
Tremble on the side. They also where orange roadcrew vests. I thought all the major cities
were already (GPS) mapped out.

Plus: the twin lights of Ground Zero are back at night.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:01:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:11:59 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought of that seeing that many GPS companys sell units with internal maps.

But: The city changes but are there really any new streets? Also, they wouldn't be
authorized to tag city property (the lamp posts) noor would they have a reason to.

I'm going to have to take a closer look at these band-tags to see what kind of numbers
they have on them.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:44:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I did recently read that some consumer rights organization (ACLU?) was attempting to map out all of the cameras observing NYC.  From storefront cameras to traffic cameras, etc.  It might possibly have been them?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top