Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2005 5:00:19 AM EDT
PASSED!

Allows hunters to use a rifle during open season for deer and bear in the      
counties of Allegany, Cattaraugus, Chenango, Herkimer, Montgomery, Oneida,    
Oswego, Otsego, Schoharie and Tioga, as well as certain rural towns in Broome  
county in those areas east of the Susquehanna River.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:30:00 PM EDT
[#1]
good
although I wish Chautauqua County hadn't been cut from the list
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:16:45 PM EDT
[#2]
slightly off topic

i keep here varying things here:

are you allowed to use an AR15 ( with 5 round mags, and providing your county allows rifles of course)
in NY to hunt.  in other words is .223 a legal caliber to use for hunting.  
IIRC i read it was any centerfire rifle.  anybody care to comment?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
slightly off topic

i keep here varying things here:

are you allowed to use an AR15 ( with 5 round mags, and providing your county allows rifles of course)
in NY to hunt.  in other words is .223 a legal caliber to use for hunting.  
IIRC i read it was any centerfire rifle.  anybody care to comment?

www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/wildlife/guide/hunting.html#Manner

It is illegal to take or hunt wildlife:

* while in or on a motor vehicle (except by the holder of a Non Ambulatory Hunter Permit).
   * with the aid of a vehicle's lights.
   * on or from any public road.
   * with any firearm equipped with a silencer.
   * with any firearm which continues to fire as long as the trigger is held back (an automatic firearm).
   * with any semi-automatic firearm with a capacity to hold more than 6 rounds, except:
         o firearms using .22 or .17 caliber rimfire ammunition or,
         o firearms altered to reduce their capacity to no more than 6 shells at one time in the magazine and chamber combined, or
         o autoloading pistols with a barrel length of less than eight inches.
   * with a spear.
   * with a bow equipped with any mechanical device which is attached to the bow (other than the bowstring) for drawing, holding or releasing the bowstring except for a physically disabled person in possession of a Handicapped Archer Permit (compound bows are legal).
   * with a spear gun or crossbow except for a physically disabled person in possession of a Modified Crossbow Permit.
   * with an arrow with an explosive head or shaft.
   * with any device designed or intended to deliver drugs to an animal.

the only caliber restrictions I saw was no rifles over .22 in non-rifle zones, and that rimfires are exempt from the magazine restrictions

www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/wildlife/guide/legalimp.html

Descriptions of Legal Implements for Big Game Hunting
Rifle* - any centerfire rifle.
* - It is illegal to hunt with:

* a fully automatic firearm;
   * an autoloading firearm that holds more than 6 shells (except an autoloading pistol with a barrel length under 8 inches);
   * any firearm equipped with a silencer.

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:42:16 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks for the links
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:40:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Jeez, we can hunt with AR's in NY now?!?  That's pretty cool, i'll finally get into the argument of whether or not .223 is good enough for deer...
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:43:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Jeez, we can hunt with AR's in NY now?!?  That's pretty cool, i'll finally get into the argument of whether or not .223 is good enough for deer...

You always could  , in the rifle legal areas. - just had to obey the mag restriction - me and a buddy did it a couple times.

I always thought it was pretty silly not to allow it where I lived in NY , I'm now only
15 miles south ( in PA ) where rifles have always been the norm
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:28:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You always could  , in the rifle legal areas. - just had to obey the mag restriction - me and a buddy did it a couple times.

I always thought it was pretty silly not to allow it where I lived in NY , I'm now only
15 miles south ( in PA ) where rifles have always been the norm

Wait so now we can hunt with the AR in New York as long as the mag holds 6 or less rounds in it???

Eycee*                
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:11:10 PM EDT
[#8]
QUOTE:
Wait so now we can hunt with the AR in New York as long as the mag holds 6 or less rounds in it???   QUOTE

It looks like you always could. (provided your county, allowed rifles. Mine did not)  It just never occured to me because all I have ever known was shotgun during gun season and thats it end of story for my county.

BTW 5 rd mags only because the cartridge in the chamer counts  (  5+1=6 ).

edited: because i read what i wrote, and it just didn't make sense.

Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:16:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Now we need to get jersey to let us hunt here with rifles.  You can't hunt with a rifle but you can hunt with a modern in-line muzzleloader???  And to hunt with the muffleloader you need to posses a valid RIFLE permit. WTF.  I still hunt with the muzzleloader but would like to hunt with a rifle here. Sorry just my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 9:50:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Do they even make 5 or 6 round mags for the AR???..........because i have never seen one b4.

Ok now i cant wait to get my AR so i can hunt with it!!!

Eycee*          
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:20:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Do they even make 5 or 6 round mags for the AR???..........because i have never seen one b4.

Ok now i cant wait to get my AR so i can hunt with it!!!

Eycee*          

www.bushmaster.com/shopping/magazines/8448670-5.asp

blocking the mag might possibly be legal too but I can't confirm. I know that both my shotguns came with a rod to block their tube mag to 2 or 3 rounds due to regulations for hunting certain animals
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:49:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I would use a 5 rd mag with 4 rounds in it. Blocking the mag to accept only 4 rounds I don't know. Whenever I hunt with a rifle, I always carry 4 rounds with me seperately. I lock and load once I'm set up.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:51:18 PM EDT
[#13]
where can I pick up a 5 round mag?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 8:15:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Just a heads up, flipping through the delta force catalogue (yeah i know) they have 5 round AR mags for any1 who's interested.

Shawn
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top