Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2005 6:34:37 PM EDT
A few friends and me are interested in going camping in Northern Jersey as it is a good in between  meeting point for us all.  I have heard that there actually are nice, wooded places in Jersey and am wondering if you all could point me in the right direction as far as finding a good camp site to pitch a tent in. I am fine with roughing it and would actually prefer to be away from a place with vehicles, RV's or other campers.

Thanks for all of your help.

gvidon212
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 11:48:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I've mostly been camping with scouts, in scout camps, but if you go right across the NJ/NY border into NY, you can camp in Harriman state park. I've walked around there for hours and haven't seen another sole in the part of the park I was in.

I know Harriman extends into NJ as, er, sterling state forest, I think? it is not part of the same PARK, but it is part of the same mountain range, and the only difference is, essentially, the imaginary dotted line of the state border.

If you want to do some beach camping, you can go out to sandy hook. I've been there a few times, and it’s real nice. Camping sites are away form the hustle and bustle of the beeches.

There is also the Delaware Water Gap, too.  Lots of public recreation available in that area.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:19:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Just saw a new book called something like "The best tent camping in NJ" I picked it up a couple
of months ago but I just moved and its packed god knows where. GREAT BOOK with locations activities etc....
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 12:27:20 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Just saw a new book called something like "The best tent camping in NJ" I picked it up a couple
of months ago but I just moved and its packed god knows where. GREAT BOOK with locations activities etc....

Hey, thanks for the rec. I ended up getting this book and it was exactly what I was looking for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top