Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2005 1:25:00 PM EDT
I read Packing.org, but I can't figure it out.

Is it illegal to carry a pocket knife or tactical folder in NJ?  I didn't see any mention of length in the laws, so I guess it doesn't matter what size it is?

Can someone spell out the basics of the law?  The way it seems, any normal pocket knife or tactical folder is perfectly legal.   But I would hate getting into a situation and finding out it's illegal for some reason or another.

Also, what exactly is a gravity knife?  I read the description of gravity knife in the law, but it seems as if most knives (tactical folders atleast) can be opened with centrifugal force (holding it blade end down and quickly snapping your wrist).  What gives with that?

Lastly, are there any good ranges for someone in northern NJ to go to?  I currently go to Fort Dix and love the leniency there (shooting at bottles on the ground, a lot of space around the tables, etc.) but the hour and a half ride is killing me in fuel.  Anything up north?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:32:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I will give you my understanding of it BUT I am not a lawyer so take the advise as an opinion.

There is no blade length requirement in NJ.
The knife has to fold in half.
The knife cannot be double edged.

Gravity knife means that you hold the knife with the blade vertically down and press a button releasing the blade to fall without assistance into the locking position.

As for ranges up North I cannot help you.

RW3
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 2:40:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for the reply!

So as far as you know, you can't get into trouble for having a typical tactical folder in your pocket?

That's my main concern since I carry my CRKT with me most of the time, I don't need any concealed weapons charges in my life he""Gravity knife" means any knife which has a blade which is released from the handle or sheath thereof by the force of gravity or the application of centrifugal force."

I can open most of my knives with centrifugal force (some of them just need a little loosening and they'll fly open).  But I assume they are talking about a totally different type of knife?

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:37:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 4:43:18 PM EDT
[#4]
From bladeforums, the consensus eems to be sub-4" blade, no double edge... but I'm waiting for the policefolk to chime in. The best part of NJ is not knowing when you're a criminal.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:44:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm a LEO in NY and here a Gravity knife is one that can be opened with just one hand ie. with a snap of the wrist. So basically the above post is correct. An automatic knife (aka. Switchblade) is a completely different animal.

Quoted:
Thank you for the reply!

So as far as you know, you can't get into trouble for having a typical tactical folder in your pocket?

That's my main concern since I carry my CRKT with me most of the time, I don't need any concealed weapons charges in my life

As for the gravity knife, my concern was this part:
""Gravity knife" means any knife which has a blade which is released from the handle or sheath thereof by the force of gravity or the application of centrifugal force."
I can open most of my knives with centrifugal force (some of them just need a little loosening and they'll fly open).  But I assume they are talking about a totally different type of knife?

Thanks again!

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:30:53 PM EDT
[#6]
No blade length is mentioned in NJ law and possession by itself is not against the law.  The intended purpose of your possession is the stickler.  Get Evan Nappen's Book.  Excellent read.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:11:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
No blade length is mentioned in NJ law and possession by itself is not against the law.  The intended purpose of your possession is the stickler.  Get Evan Nappen's Book.  Excellent read.  

+1 on this.  I asked a LEO friend about it he says you must beable to explain why you carry a knife (ie for work, opening boxs, utility, etc...) Never say it is for protection because then it can be concidered a weapon.  I'm an EMT so I just use the “never know when your going to need to cut a seatbelt.......”.  

As a side note I'm been carrying a pocket knive for over ten years in NJ and have never been questioned about it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:42:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I can always turn something here to politics. One of the primary edicts of communism is to write many laws and to make them as confusing as possible.
The idea is to create criminals from law-abiding citizens. The political ramifications are that you have more control over people who commit crimes. Witness every form that the government makes you sign. Each and every form is intended to make you perjure yourself or abrogate your rights. There is not one person here who does not commit a crime when they sign their 1040 each year.
The bottom line is that government, in this country, has no prosecutorial powers other than what we relinquish to it.
Your question is based soley on our willingness to lie down in the fetal position and take whatever is handed us.

www.restoretherepublic.org
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:02:58 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

As for the gravity knife, my concern was this part:
""Gravity knife" means any knife which has a blade which is released from the handle or sheath thereof by the force of gravity or the application of centrifugal force."

They're talking about "butterfly" or balisong type knives there.   As far as carrying a knife, PK90 is spot on.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top