Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2005 12:05:18 PM EDT
Just figured id say it,boy do I hate n.j,...On month number 3 for my pistol permits,all I can do is sit back and wait....
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:30:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Come on out to the all gunners of NJ meet up THIS saturday the 27th. Tacked at the top of this forum kookie

Meet some of the AR-15 guys from NJ along with the NJCSD and help us change things in this state.

RW3
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:54:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:04:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:58:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:18:15 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You should try waiting for NFA paperwork to be approved.

Oh wait, you don't have to worry about that.

Sure, now that you're "STAFF" you think you can throw your weight around wherever you feel like it
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:57:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:48:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Come on out to the all gunners of NJ meet up THIS saturday the 27th. Tacked at the top of this forum kookie

Meet some of the AR-15 guys from NJ along with the NJCSD and help us change things in this state.

RW3

"The smell, you know that gasoline gunpowder smell, the whole hill range. Smelled like... victory."

Come on DOWN!!!
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:18:07 PM EDT
[#8]
last time i said new jersey sucked   i was sent to the whipping post.

AHH, its not that bad. just gotta know how to work the system.

now  california REALLYYYY SUCKS.
well NEW JERSEY DOES SUCK TOO.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:15:34 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Just figured id say it,boy do I hate n.j,...On month number 3 for my pistol permits,all I can do is sit back and wait....

Um, are you waiting for your FID card ? Yes it may and usually takes 3 or more months, but the handgun permit is issued from your local PD after you get your FID card which should be no more than 30 days. So which one is it. Yes it sucks, but have patience, we all go thru it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:49:03 AM EDT
[#10]
already have fid waiting on pistol permits three months....
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:09:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Damn Something isn't right
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:23:59 PM EDT
[#12]
three months???

thats bogus. but, just keep callin and calling and calling............
be nice. and keep calling,id call every other freakin day.
then the next time just apply for five permits.

once ya get it though, youll have the gun forever. unless ya sell it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:09:01 PM EDT
[#13]
five for mine
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:23:17 AM EDT
[#14]
depends on the town

Upper Saddle River does it in 2 to 3 weels and charges 2 bux each

Palisades Park does it in 3 months and charges 35 bux for as many as you want
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:30:14 AM EDT
[#15]
I live near Upper Saddle River. Moved around here a couple times and the various departments around here are generally pretty good about pushing permits through in a timely manner. About 2-3 weeks after you go through the initial vetting process.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:09:51 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I don't think there's much you can do about the waiting. You can keep calling and make a pain in the butt out of yourself, but most people won't do that.

BUT, if you (or anyone else here) paid more than $2 each for those permits, you need to get on the horn to the NJ State Police Firearms Unit. Towns throughout NJ try to do this all the time because they're banking on the fact that you don't know the law. I've known a few people who have been charged up to $75 for a handgun permit, and a call to the NJSP took care of business.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:41:06 AM EDT
[#17]
I recently went to the South Brunswick PD to get some handgun permits. The cost for the permits is $2 each, but if you havent had any activity within the last 2 years, they want $54 payable to Div of State Police-SBI for the fingerprinting, and $18 for a certified name check if you have not had any activity within 3 months to 2 years, also payable to Div of State Police-SBI. Any of corse, its been just a few months over 2 years since I applied for a handgun permit. So the lesson learned is...apply often.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:09:34 PM EDT
[#18]
TraumaLevel1 Quote:
"Palisades Park does it in 3 months and charges 35 bux for as many as you want"

$2.00 ONLY for each permit by law.

Fishpaw,
$54.00 dollars is correct BUT charging you for the SBI at $18.00 AND the $54.00 is theivery!!!
Both checks do the exact same thing!!!

You, my man, are being double charged.

Kind of like the tax on new tires and the $1.00 per new tire added FEE McGreevy did to us last year.

A tax is not a fee and a fee is not a tax...RIGHT!!!!!

RW3
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:16:31 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I recently went to the South Brunswick PD to get some handgun permits. The cost for the permits is $2 each, but if you havent had any activity within the last 2 years, they want $54 payable to Div of State Police-SBI for the fingerprinting, and $18 for a certified name check if you have not had any activity within 3 months to 2 years, also payable to Div of State Police-SBI. Any of corse, its been just a few months over 2 years since I applied for a handgun permit. So the lesson learned is...apply often.

Once your finger prints are on file it is not required (or necessary) for re-printing. It does nothing. The 18.00 is for a 212A form which, once your prints are on file, does the same thing.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:54:22 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Same in Clifton. If I wanted to get another pistol permit, I basically have to start from scratch.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 8:41:25 AM EDT
[#21]
How do I get this across to them that my fingerprint have not changed in the last 2 years? Im guessing im just going to have to bite the bullet, and bend over for this one

Quoted:

Once your finger prints are on file it is not required (or necessary) for re-printing. It does nothing. The 18.00 is for a 212A form which, once your prints are on file, does the same thing.

Mike

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:27:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Somewhere in my office I have the guidelines put out by the NJSP regarding fees and procedures regarding firearm applications.  If I find it, I'll bring it to the Buckeye meet tomorrow.

IIRC: I think Fishpaw is close regarding time periods and on target for fees.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 11:23:35 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Somewhere in my office I have the guidelines put out by the NJSP regarding fees and procedures regarding firearm applications.  If I find it, I'll bring it to the Buckeye meet tomorrow.

If they are guideline and not defacto "the law" why could a town up the ante???
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:22:06 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If they are guideline and not defacto "the law" why could a town up the ante???

They are law.  Fees are set.  The time periods have been disputed in court, and lost.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:22:44 PM EDT
[#25]
N.J.S. 2C:58-3f.

Granting of permit or identification card; fee; term; renewal; revocation.  The application for the permit to purchase a handgun together with a fee of $2.00, or the application for the firearms purchaser identification card together with a fee of $5.00, shall be delivered or forwarded to the licensing authority who shall investigate the same and, unless good cause for the denial thereof appears, shall grant the permit or the identification card, or both, if application has been made therefor, within 30 days from the date of receipt of the application for residents of this State and within 45 days for nonresident applicants.  A permit to purchase a handgun shall be valid for a period of 90 days from the date of issuance and may be renewed by the issuing authority for good cause for an additional 90 days.  A firearms purchaser identification card shall be valid until such time as the holder becomes subject to any of the disabilities set forth in subsection c. of this section, whereupon the card shall be void and shall be returned within five days by the holder to the superintendent, who shall then advise the licensing authority. Failure of the holder to return the firearms purchaser identification card to the superintendent within the said five days shall be an offense under section 2C:39-10a. Any firearms purchaser identification card may be revoked by the Superior Court of the county wherein the card was issued, after hearing upon notice, upon a finding that the holder thereof no longer qualifies for the issuance of such permit.  The county prosecutor of any county, the chief police officer of any municipality or any citizen may apply to such court at any time for the revocation of such card.

There shall be no conditions or requirements added to the form or content of the application, or required by the licensing authority for the issuance of a permit or identification card, other than those that are specifically set forth in this chapter.

COURT CASE

Click here for court case

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:57:13 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
The time periods have been disputed in court, and lost.

Thanks for posting the link to the court case - I was going to say that generally it's the FBI bg check that extends 30 days to 3 months; gun permits aren't exactly a priority with them. I wasn't aware that it had been challenged in court.

I hope everyone understands, though, that no municipality can mess with the fees, because they are very clearly outlined in the statute. If you're going to be applying for a handgun purchase permit or FID card, print out the part of the statute that PK90 posted and take it with you. If they try to charge you more than $2 for a permit or $5 for a card, read it to them, and if they still give you crap, let them know you're going home to call the firearms unit. You do still have some recourse - use it or lose it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top