Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2005 9:12:33 AM EDT
Its been over the news alot but I really have'nt been following it. I think I would like to see some type of memorial tower put in place and leave ground zero around it  the way it is. Are poeple trying to get offices and companies back in there? It still hurts to look up at the skyline and not see them I would like them to be built again, with some type of memorial built ontop or around them. But I dont know how people would feel about that.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:30:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I personally would like to see them built to the same dimentions as the original but with better surviorability ,(is that even a word???)  a sort of Fuck You to the scumbags who forever changed our lives as a nation, and some of us personally.  A memorial on the grounds would be nice too.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:36:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I often think about this and always come up with something better and better (in my mind, that is)

My latest thought about this is that the City of NY should hire the people from Disney, (don't laugh) to create a "Back to September 11, 2001" kind of a walking display tour, that will start with pictures or movies of what was going on just before the first plane hit the WTC, and then as you move forward ... you can see a plane in the sky and then "BOOM", feel the flash, the heat, the vibration and hear the cries of people. Next, continue to show everything that happened that day, the fire trucks rushing to what will be their last call, the policemen trying in vain to control the sea of people rushing from the buildings, the flames and smoke coming out of the buildings, and yes ... the people waving out of the windows crying for help, and them jumping out when the heat was too much. I would like the people to see the firemen walking those endless steps, and then the buildings collapsing and aftermath including the radio's transmitions to nowhere, the beeping sounds from the fireman's distress boxes, the people walking on the bridges out of NYC, etc. etc. Then they MUST show how this country came together, how everybody was flying, displaying and wearing an American flag, (if you were lucky enough to find one) and how we were all united as ONE, for once.

Do you remember?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:58:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I drive the BQE most days now , and most days it results in a misguided rage against Islam (for me, that is.)  I remember seeing the torches creating them from my night  job at Jones Beach.  I would like to see towers as tall as before, along with a memorial,  something on the lines of what Bear came up with (although the jumping to escape the fire many could probably do without...)
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:00:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I personally would like to see them built to the same dimentions as the original but with better surviorability ,(is that even a word???)  a sort of Fuck You to the scumbags who forever changed our lives as a nation, and some of us personally.  A memorial on the grounds would be nice too.  

yea I like that idea. With the spot lights ontop so it looks like they extend into the sky at night
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:17:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Just like it was and let life go on.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:34:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:59:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I've been supportive of them remaking it exactly the same, but with the first couple floors being a museum and memorial
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:55:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I think the big issue right now (that no one has mentioned in any of the previous posts) is the furor over what will be included in the Visitors section.

There are groups that want a Freedom exhibit included in the visitors area. Not just relating to the topic of Terrorism and the September 11th attacks, but relating to the oppression of mankind and the value of freedom. Issues like apartheid in South Africa, slavery in early US history, etc.

IMHO, I don't think that has any place in the WTC memorial. They can build it anywhere they want, I don't begrudge them a place to display their views. It just doesn't belong or have anything to do with remembering the tragedy on September 11th in New York, Washington D.C. and a field in Pennsylvania.

Also, a comment on Bear3351's idea for a sight and sound experience of the attacks. I think it would be in very poor taste. The victims screaming and jumping to their deaths is a little too graphic, it would overshadow the purpose of the memorial. Shock over remembrance.

I was working in New York City the day of the attacks and luckily, my best friend and I were partnered-up. I don't think either of us would have made it through that day if we were working with anybody else. We listened helplessly to the radio. I wouldn't wish that feeling on anybody!

Many police officers, firefighters, paramedics and EMTs lost their lives in the Towers. That doesn't even cover all the other innnocent people who went to work one day in one of the WTC buildings and never came home. Or the visitors, delivery people, etc. Imagine one of the victims family members or friends visiting the memorial to honor their loved one only to see a recreation of them leaping to their death. I may be wrong but that's just my take.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:26:24 AM EDT
[#9]
As the son of an FDNY Captain lost on 9/11, i've thought a lot about this topic.  I think building the towers exactly how they were with the first few floors as a museum and memorial is a good idea.  I hate the idea of having a memorial on the site that talks about slavery and apartied.  What happened on 9/11 was horrible enough to have a memorial dedicated soley to that, we don't need it to be talking about slavery to take away from what happened that day.  I wonder though if they built the towers exactly how they were, if anyone would want to work in the higher floors.  I wouldn't have a problem with it but I think many people would be scared to work up there.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:39:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
As the son of an FDNY Captain lost on 9/11, i've thought a lot about this topic.  I think building the towers exactly how they were with the first few floors as a museum and memorial is a good idea.  I hate the idea of having a memorial on the site that talks about slavery and apartied.  What happened on 9/11 was horrible enough to have a memorial dedicated soley to that, we don't need it to be talking about slavery to take away from what happened that day.  I wonder though if they built the towers exactly how they were, if anyone would want to work in the higher floors.  I wouldn't have a problem with it but I think many people would be scared to work up there.

My deepest condolences on you and your family's loss.  I could not agree more.  The "Freedom" Museum has no place on hallowed ground.  The museum should be dedicated soley to what happened on that fateful day.  I also think that the towers should be rebuilt bigger and better opposite the footprints of the original towers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top