Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2005 8:04:23 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:39:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I've done it a couple times and always had to use an FFL - I'm in Erie County.  Basically, it was transferred onto the local FFL's books and the bill of sale I took to the county came from him.  He then handled the transfer to the out of state buyer.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:02:10 AM EDT
[#2]
As you know every county does things a little differently. I have heard of counties that do require this.  When a pistol is transferred in NY by a FFL with a NYS handgun dealer's license the disposition info is sent to the NYSP for entry into their pistola database. I know that the NYSP require that all handguns received into NY are required to be shipped from an FFL but I've never heard the reverse is true.

It appears that they want written documentation of the disposition in order to amend your license so you don't have much choice in the matter.  I don't know if my counties pistol permit division requires this.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:19:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:33:22 AM EDT
[#4]
One more reason to get out of this wacked out state.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:27:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:31:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I am in sullivan  and any transfers  out of state have to go throught a NYS FFL dealer
to get it off on my permit. I know this because I just went throught it on a trade I did
with a member from GA. cost me a little more than I wanted to but well worth it

got a PRE 94 lower and spare parts out of the deal.

going to build me a EVIL rifle
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:45:52 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
One more reason to get out of this wacked out state.

I know, my girlfriend and I have been talking about where (gulp) "we're going to settle down" as she is looking for a longer term job. She could find work in upstate NY easily but wants to stay in the south.

"I might drive up next time I come up, so I can bring my guns. It sounds like a pain taking them on the plane." (Note- guns= her pistols)
"Honey you can't bring your guns to NY"
"No I'm not going to carry them, just bring them locked in the trunk so we can go shooting over the weekend"
"No honey you can't have a pistol in New York at all. You don't have a permit."
"Oh "
-pause-
"What if I take the job in (upstate NY city)? What happens to my guns? They'll give me a permit then won't they?"
"Well probably not right away."
"Humph! Well I just have to wait then?"
"No in (that other shitty county) they probably won't let you carry a pistol at all. It will say "for target shooting only."
"But (job place) is in a kind of bad part of town. I can't bring my guns at all?"
"Not exactly legally, no."
"Why would I move there"
"Errrrrrr"

for her price is far above rubies.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:52:04 PM EDT
[#8]
New York has required a pistol license and registration for so long most New Yorker's are amazed to learn that neither is required outside of NY to buy/possess a handgun. They practically have a seizure when I tell them  that neither AK or VT requires any type of permit to a carry a concealed handgun and that many states also allow open carry.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:16:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:29:24 PM EDT
[#10]
LOL, tell him he doesn't have to travel any further then CT, PA, VT or MA to legally own a MG.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top