Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2005 3:57:51 PM EDT
where do we stand on the threaded barrel for ar's here in nj. i cant find one thing on it in my nj law books. i know flash hiders are no good but what about brakes. also what about bayonets, or adjustable stocks on a pump gun. not much mentioned as far as nj law goes?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:29:08 PM EDT
[#1]
No collapsible stocks, bayo lugs, threaded barrels...unless used with a lower that was assembled into a  legit. rifle(or still is) before the ban. But lets just say not everyone follows the rules, but again its taking a chance, thats how it is for NY anyway im not sure about NJ.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:06:55 PM EDT
[#2]
New Jersey has a permanent ban.  Chapter 39 of 2C.  No threaded barrel, flash hider, bayonet lugs or collapsible stocks.  Permanent muzzle brakes are okay.  All this only applies to semi-auto firearms.  Anything goes on anything else.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:21:24 PM EDT
[#3]
NVM DELETED
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:35:48 AM EDT
[#4]
NJ laws don't make any sense..  For example..   A stubby stock that comes on a bushmaster is legal in NJ.   It is rather small.  A magpul m93b stock fully collapsed is the same size as the stubby.  But is illegal in NJ.  WTF.  Doesn't make sense.  But then neither does any of the AWB laws in NJ.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:15:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
NJ laws don't make any sense..  For example..   A stubby stock that comes on a bushmaster is legal in NJ.   It is rather small.  A magpul m93b stock fully collapsed is the same size as the stubby.  But is illegal in NJ.  WTF.  Doesn't make sense.  But then neither does any of the AWB laws in NJ.

Yep, the laws were written by politicans with ZERO common sense who understand NOTHING about firearms.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:00:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, the laws were written by politicans with ZERO common sense who understand NOTHING about firearms

Yup, and yet they find ways to make life miserable for NJ gun owners just the same
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:37:49 PM EDT
[#7]
How would one know you were using a CAR collapsible stock, if fully extended it can look just like the fixed CAR stocks. Are BATF or whatever agents allowed to just take your gun and check "things"?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:38:50 PM EDT
[#8]
But you can have an sks with a bayonet and brenade launcher,so go figure....Id wouldnt want to be stuck by a bayonet,but that rpg is ok..
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:23:20 PM EDT
[#9]
they get you with the term "substantially identical" the ag interprets as he sees fit. there are guns listed as banned..ok but then there is the rule that you can only have some of the "ugly features" now where is that written in title 2c:39-1. its not.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:40:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes, but that's because parts of the ban were struck down as unconstitutionally vague in some counties. I am sure that if the "substantially identical" provision were to be broadly interpreted once more, it would open up the possbility of NJ's AWB being nailed to the wall in court.

Much of NJ's firearms law has very vague wording. Other states which adopted parts of NJ's statutes to use as their own law (MD is an example) took out the vague wording and clarified it.

As of right now, the AG's policy is that "substantially identical" means "2 or more evil features."
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:36:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd like to throw my own question onto the pile to avoid making another thread:

Could I possess an unattached barrel with "evil" features (FH, threads, lug) so that I could mod it into a postban config when assembled?

I plan to purchase a bushmaster 20" gov't barrel and send it off to have a Branson muzzle brake permattached. I'll grind the ears off the bayo lug to make it nonfunctional. Once installed, it should be okay by the law to my current understanding. I'd like for someone to clarify if possession of the barrel, unassembled and by itself, is against NJ's AWB.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:40:43 PM EDT
[#12]
The law states that you cannot possess an AW or any combination of parts that can be "readily assembled" into one. So if you do not have any lowers or other rifles and just have the upper then yes, it stands to reason that you could possess them. But once the correct combination of parts come into your possession, it would all be illegal.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:13:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'd like to throw my own question onto the pile to avoid making another thread:

Could I possess an unattached barrel with "evil" features (FH, threads, lug) so that I could mod it into a postban config when assembled?

I plan to purchase a bushmaster 20" gov't barrel and send it off to have a Branson muzzle brake permattached. I'll grind the ears off the bayo lug to make it nonfunctional. Once installed, it should be okay by the law to my current understanding. I'd like for someone to clarify if possession of the barrel, unassembled and by itself, is against NJ's AWB.

Dont worry about somthing like that...unless you currently have BATF officers roaming about your house.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top