Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2005 6:14:23 PM EDT
Scenario.....I get a brand new lower thru my FFL....have it papered as a pistol ....get the paper work sent to White Plains....( I'm in Westchester).....and a long 6 weeks later it appears on my pistol permit as a Panther Arms ( DPMS)..pistol in .223 caliber.  Now ...NO ONE...not one person including the Judge who signed off on it....ever inquired if it was AWB legal......So where does the AWB stand with my new legal pistol.....?????
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:17:39 PM EDT
[#1]
6 weeks to get a gun added?
damn. *crosses off another part of NY state to look for jobs*
An AR pistol that isn't a pre 1994 has to be under 50 ounces unloaded or it's an AW. Also looks like handguards are out in addition to the expected no flash suppressor allowed
caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/nycodes/c82/a68.html

(c) a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable
magazine and has at least two of the following characteristics:
 (i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the
pistol grip;
 (ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash
suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;
 (iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely
encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm
with the nontrigger hand without being burned;
 (iv) a manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is
unloaded;

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:28:14 AM EDT
[#2]
The Judge wouldn't know or care what pistols you have on your license. He is given a stack of permits and just signs them.

How did your FFL comply with the CoBIS regulations? He needs to send in a shell casing with the registration info to the NYSP. He would have had to have it ballistic tested at a CoBIS center since it couldn't have come from the manufacturer with a fired shell casing.

There is no way you can meet the AWB weight requirements without making the receiver look like swiss cheese.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:52:50 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
There is no way you can meet the AWB weight requirements without making the receiver look like swiss cheese.

like one of Olympic's models
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:12:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The Judge wouldn't know or care what pistols you have on your license. He is given a stack of permits and just signs them.

How did your FFL comply with the CoBIS regulations? He needs to send in a shell casing with the registration info to the NYSP. He would have had to have it ballistic tested at a CoBIS center since it couldn't have come from the manufacturer with a fired shell casing.

This is my point.....how can they approve a pistol without asking those questions.....BTW....I built it in a single shot configuration....so there is no weight restriction....
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:42:38 PM EDT
[#5]
It is the FFL's responsibility to comply with the CoBIS and other NY specific handgun regulations. In some jurisdictions you have to bring in a new handgun for inspection to the counties pistol license division but not in WC. That's the LAST thing we need in WC.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:06:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
This is my point.....how can they approve a pistol without asking those questions.....BTW....I built it in a single shot configuration....so there is no weight restriction....

cool
that you found a way to make it legal, but not that you had to do that
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top