Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2005 6:23:50 AM EDT
More BS from our largely Democrat NYS Assembly. I'm sure they have our best interests at heart. Ssssuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrreee they do  

nyoutdoornews.com/articles/2005/07/08/news/news2.txt

New York Outdoor News News

Assembly sues DEC to get license lists

Tuesday, June 28, 2005 10:37 AM CDT

By Don Lehman Contributing Writer

Albany -- A dispute between the state Department of Environmental Conservation and members of the state Assembly over release of hunting and fishing license holders' names has led to a lawsuit against the DEC.

The lawsuit, filed in late May, asks a judge to force the DEC to turn over the list of names and addresses, a request the DEC has denied. It was filed on behalf of Assembly Democrats, the house's majority party and a group that hasn't always been viewed kindly by sportsmen because of its anti-gun legislative history.

A spokesman for the Assembly, Bryan Franke, said legislators filed the lawsuit after 16 months of requests were spurned.

He said the Assembly filed a Freedom of Information Law request, which was denied, and then unsuccessfully appealed.

Franke said the Assembly simply wanted the names to help keep hunters and anglers informed.
"We've used this information in the past to keep sportsmen aware of legislation and issues we think they'd be interested in," he said. "We've been getting this information for a number of years."

Mike Fraser, a spokesman for the DEC, said the information wasn't turned over this time because the new, automated DECALS license system compiles personal information the DEC did not think the Assembly should have in an era of heightened privacy concerns.

DECALS came on line in 2002.

In particular, Fraser said the agency was concerned that some of the information could be used to commit identity theft if it fell into the wrong hands.

"We're standing up for the privacy rights of New York citizens," he said.

The New York State Conservation Council has weighed in on the issue on behalf of sportsmen, asking the Assembly to back off the request, said Wally John, the Council's legislative vice president. The Assembly did not respond to the letter it was sent, he said.

John said the Council may seek to intervene in the lawsuit as a friend of the court.

The Assembly and DEC are scheduled to appear in the case in state Supreme Court in Albany County on July 29.

Franke said the state attorney general's office, which represents state agencies when they are sued, has a conflict of interest in the matter, so a private law firm had to be retained for the DEC "at taxpayer expense."

Many sportsmen across the state raised eyebrows when Assembly Democrats indicated they want to keep sportsmen informed of outdoor-related issues. The Assembly majority is generally regarded as the roadblock in legislation that would reduce the minimum hunting age for big game. Bills have in the past been approved by the state Senate but died in the Assembly without a vote.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:28:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds more like they are fishing for a future confiscation list.  Like they really have sportsmen's best interests in mind.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:32:22 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Sounds more like they are fishing for a future confiscation list.  Like they really have sportsmen's best interests in mind.

+1 agreed.

Time to move.  Time for a tactical withdrawl to a better position to defend.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:59:41 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

That was my take as well. bastards.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:04:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 agreed.

+1.  Thank god I don't have a hunting permit.  I'm out to Colorado in a few months anyways
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 1:08:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:45:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow. I'm surprised the DEC is fighting for the rights of citizens instead of rolling over to the state.

Really surprised.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:50:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Way to go DEC.  Future Confiscation or Harassmennt list for sure. I'm sure there are alot of people in NYS who own family rifles that weren't registered, but if you go hunting...next they will want the s/n of your gun on your license as well.

I was thinking about buying a NY license this year instead of going to VA for the past 3 years, but not if they are pulling this shit. Damn these people.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:12:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Way to go DEC.  Future Confiscation or Harassmennt list for sure. I'm sure there are alot of people in NYS who own family rifles that weren't registered, but if you go hunting...next they will want the s/n of your gun on your license as well.

I was thinking about buying a NY license this year instead of going to VA for the past 3 years, but not if they are pulling this shit. Damn these people.

The DEC issues trapping, bow and fishing licenses as well as hunting licenses. There is no rifle/shotgun registration in NY (except NYC) and private transfers of long guns (and handguns with a PP) are legal in NYS. The NYS Assembly has no enforcement powers and I would guess they want to contact hunters and sportsmen for political purposes. Members of the Senate and Assembly (and others) have access to all kinds of membership lists that they use to send out polls and campaign materials.

I don't like it anymore then anyone else here but I suspect that the DEC will be eventually be ordered to turn over the licensing info with private info redacted. Most records maintained by a governmental body are classified as public records and must be supplied to anyone who asks for them.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:21:03 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 agreed.

F*ck that - come to NJ, we are going to fight from here!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top