Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2005 10:44:52 AM EDT
ok, who has had the joy of dealing with these morons..Man they mine as well say we suck on the front door...Try to ask them to order you anything but a shotgun or hunting rifle and they look at you like your a friggin militia member or something..Talk about high prices and being strait up idiots ..Well anyway had to say something about these guys,just a damn shame because they are so close for me...Just wanted to give a heads up to anybody that wanted to enjoy a pure kick in the sack,than just stop by they will be happy to ablige....Thanks...
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 11:22:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow...   That's the first I have ever heard of a complaint about Harry's.   Iv'e never had any problems with them or the Sportsmen's Center.   I actually like Harry's better.  I inquired about a Bushmaster Varminter from them and they got me the info while on the phone.  

Well.  Good Luck with whatever your looking to purchase.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 11:23:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I've had issues with them before.  Just go to The Sportsmans Center, it's just a little bit further down the road (on the same side as Harry's).  The Sportsmans Center has some good people working there.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 1:57:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
ok, who has had the joy of dealing with these morons..Man they mine as well say we suck on the front door...Try to ask them to order you anything but a shotgun or hunting rifle and they look at you like your a friggin militia member or something..Talk about high prices and being strait up idiots ..Well anyway had to say something about these guys,just a damn shame because they are so close for me...Just wanted to give a heads up to anybody that wanted to enjoy a pure kick in the sack,than just stop by they will be happy to ablige....Thanks...

Yeah, I've had some mixed experiences there. ALthough none have been great.

It all depends on who is behind the counter.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 2:43:29 PM EDT
[#4]
High prices reign supreme. No such thing as a bargain to be found there.
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 2:54:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
High prices reign supreme. No such thing as a bargain to be found there.

Aint that the truth
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 3:29:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/27/2005 3:48:41 PM EDT
[#7]
well atleast we all agree that harrys sucks,in some way or another,just go to sportsmen center...
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 4:53:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Okay, where is "Sportsmen's center" located?

There are lots of FFLs in New Jersey. I'm still looking for a good one with a big collection of used guns at fair prices.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 5:22:33 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Okay, where is "Sportsmen's center" located?

There are lots of FFLs in New Jersey. I'm still looking for a good one with a big collection of used guns at fair prices.

You can try Bob's Little Sport Shop in Glassboro.  Bob and his son's are great to deal with.  Lots of used stuff and he can get whatever you want.  I purchased all my bushmasters from him.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 8:25:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Okay, where is "Sportsmen's center" located?.

SPORTSMEN'S CENTER
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 3:03:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I go into harry's occasionally,  It's more infrequent since I asked to see an AR (Pre Florio ban) and the clerk looked down his nose and said "I'm really more into sporting weapons" But they used to have some neat milsurp.

// Rant On //
The only place in this state I will not spend $0.01 is the sportsmans center. They lectured me on how they wouldn't do a transfer of a pistol "since I could have bought that in their shop" Well, I didn't, they did transfers . (In fact the dealer who did the transfer for me was a personal friend who was *their* primary transfer dealer in PA.)  They suck, they will always suck, and I recommend any and all to go anywhere else. have
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 3:14:16 PM EDT
[#12]
yes well sportsmen center is better and the guys are alot nicer but they dont carry to many of the great military surplus rifle that we all love...As for harrys just the other day my friend went there to take a look around, he asked about purchasing a regular jersey legal sks,the guy behind the counter snarled and said you cant have them in N,J...Needless to say my friends no idiot but instead of arguing,and turning red,he proceeded to the sportsmen center and wouldnt you now that they just got a yugo sks in..$175.00 he paid a little pricey but is was there he wanted it and bought it.So on his way home he couldnt resist the urge to stop back at harrys and start a little trouble..But thats as far as I will go..But this is my main reason other than my own to go on this tangent about harrys..I just must say..I HATE HARRYS ARMY CRAPHOLE...
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 3:26:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I have yet to see a gunshop in NY with good or great prices. Local pricing + tax + some stores charge a background check is way too much. Alot of money can be saved ordering online and going through a FFL or buying used. I have also noticed FFL's bumping up thier prices because so many people are doing this. I have seen some places have a $50 transfer fee, that just insane for acepting a package and making a phone call.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:57:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Personally I don't see any reason to buy from any of these "Gun Shops". Most don't know their ass from their elbow when it comes to firearms. Seriously, Why would you want to pay their rent???? The only thing I ever buy from them is an occasional cleaning product when I run out or I'm in between an internet order.

I use a dealer in Freehold who lets me buy anything I find on the net as long as it's NJ legal. He works out of his house and is a very fair and HONEST guy.  He charges $25.00 for the transfer an the standard $15.00 for the backround check. I make the deal and he sends his FFL. It's that simple.

If anyone wants his email address, just send me an IM.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 10:29:38 AM EDT
[#15]
listen to lugerman he knows what hes talking about..
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 5:29:14 PM EDT
[#16]
since princeton now has a gun shop i don't need harry's or the sportsman center. plus, sean fixes any problems i may encounter. unfortunately, lori (wife and now EX-PASTRY chef) in back in college and adria (step daughter) starts college in september, all of my free money is not going to toys.

be well
maxwell
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 5:36:40 PM EDT
[#17]
That is an approach, and I usually use it myself, I also recognize some simple facts:

- It is one thing to read in SGN what is being sold and sometimes another to receive it. esp. in NJ.

There *is* a value is seeing what you are buying. How much is it worth is debatable. I am a milsurp collector. While the transfer dealer I use has never given me any grief at all. Even when I bring in something he has in his shop (on some items I'm cheap :-) If he is competitive on something (to the pont that it costs me a few dollars) I buy it from him. *Not* because I like throwing money away but I want him to continue to be there, buy the stuff I like (when He can) and sell it to me affordably.

It is up to us to support our local dealers. These are the people with their a** really hangin out there in NJ. If you want them to be there in five years you have to support them now.

I am not a dealer. I have no professional relationship with *any* dealer. In fact, the dealer I most often deal with I *hate*. all that being said this is NJ. and they don't like us. it's real easy to quit. I want to make that decision as hard as I can for NJ dealers. I hope you agree.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 5:32:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Harry's has the WORST customer service ever. High prices, and sh*tty attitude. A couple of stories.

Shopping around for a pistol. Won't be buying one for a while, just looking to see whats out there. I ask the counter guy to see a SIG P220. The guy pulls the pistol from the counter and asks to see my Handgun permit! I tell the clown that I'm just looking and the asshat says that I cannot handle a firearm unless I have the proper permitht
The last time I bought anything at Harry's was with a $50.00 gift card that someone kindly got me for Christmas. So right after Christmas I go in to buy some boxes of tactical 12 gauge shells that come to a total of $50.25.he
Sorry to rant on but if it keeps one person from thinking about going there, it's worth it.

Rick
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 9:26:53 PM EDT
[#19]
When I lived in NJ, I used them to transfer a handgun to an out of state purchaser....what a complete nightmare.

First, they sat on the transfer for over a week claiming that there was an issue getting a copy of the FFL from the other side....then, even though apparently handguns MUST be shipped air/next day.....I got the tracking number for the package and saw that even though I paid for overnight delivery....it went ground

Not to mention I paid top dollar just to transfer the damn gun.
Live and learn.

I have basically had them talk me out of buying rifles in their store.
I had a salesman show me a Bushmaster, and while I was checking it out he went on and on about how there is no practical reason for anyone to own one

Even recently, I was going to scoop up some wolf 62gr....they said they would sell me a case for $119....I figured, ok, decent enough for a spur of the moment purchase....I look at the ammo....it was the old laquer coated green stuff......asked if they had the new grey polymer coated casings....the guy had no idea what i was talking about....then said that this was the only wolf ammo they had and that it was crap and that he wouldnt shoot it in any gun he owned.

While I agree that the old green wolf sucks, hey...way to sell a product! Tell the customer that it sucks and insult them for asking about it.

I still get my ammo cans there.....but that is pretty much it these days.

ETA - I just wasted post 3000 on this rant about harrys...
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 3:49:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:28:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Im loving this rant and so happy this thread went this far.....
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:44:55 PM EDT
[#22]
The Sportsmans Center has some good people working there.

+1

When I first moved to NJ, I stopped in Harry's to have a look around; I did not know that you had to have a FID card to shoulder or even touch a weapon.  He kinda made a big deal out of having a FID card, and since I didn't have one, I was wasting his time.   One thing is for sure, IF I do get one, I won't be buying from their asses!
B_S
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:17:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Harry's is a cluster fuck.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:56:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:54:45 PM EDT
[#25]
+2  WHERE IN PRINCTON?   I work there and would love to check it out during lunch this week.I just got 3 pistol permits in.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:08:28 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
+2  WHERE IN PRINCTON?   I work there and would love to check it out during lunch this week.I just got 3 pistol permits in.

From what I understand, it is NOT a SHOP per say, but more of a gunsmith with an FFL.

Appointment only, I think.

Maxwell knows the whole deal, we have to wait till he chimes in
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:42:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Sent a few IM's to those that asked. Yes, Sean is by appointment only but he knows what he is talking about and all round great guy. CDI Knife and Gun Shop is the name.

sorry i am not here as much as i like any more, i'm putting the wife and step child thru college and all by my self!!! So, working two jobs is my lot in life for a while. But that is ok too. The step daughter knows who she can count on.

be well
maxwell
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 6:21:46 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
This is killing me, I gotta know where the Princeton gun shop is so I can go shake those people's hands...

Don't know if it is a gunshop, but the firearms dealer's name that you may be looking for is...........
You crazy??? I'll never tell.  

There are actual 3 FFL holders in Princeton.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top