Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2005 8:39:43 AM EDT
I am thinking of upgrading my Bushy M4 with a 16" 1x7 twist barrel.  I want to put a muzzle break on it.  I have been looking at the Troy because is looks evil and seems to be a good break.  I see that is marketed and sold as a break but every thing I have read on it says it has some flash hiding qualities on it.  Looking at the photos it does have a small opening at the end like the Mini Y comp.  Here is a photo of the end of the break.

What do you think?  NJ Legal?

Matt
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 8:53:05 AM EDT
[#1]
The new Troy muzzle brakes look different from that photo.  I think that might be an early model.  Here is a photo of a recent Troy muzzle brake (courtesty of Cap'n Crunch).

I have one on mine.  I bought it as a muzzle brake (which is what it was advertised as), and my receipt says that it is a muzzle brake.  I don't know how NJ will look at the device.  I haven't tested mine out for flash supression yet.  I doubt you'll find a definative answer.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 11:40:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Matt,

I'm in the process of looking for muzzle breaks for my rifles. I will only consider breaks that were tested by the ATF and have the appropriate documentation.  I won't take a chance on a undocumented muzzle device.

Just my .02

Mike

P.S. The Rock River breaks look good and have (according to the RR) have been approved by the ATF.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 11:43:34 AM EDT
[#3]
hmmmm
i want to build another rifle also
thats a cool looking brake
the one I like is the SPR brake but i dint know if thats even close
to PRNJ legal
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 1:39:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Matt, I e-mailed them that question a couple of weeks ago this was their reply:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is considered a muzzle brake, but we will be making a run of the Medievals as flash hiders.  I hope this helps you out.

Best Regards,

Donna

Troy Industries, Inc.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to permanantly affix one of these on my 16" bushy h-bar.  Between the blocked mags and brakes being ATF approved or NJ approved I am really sick of these Fucking grey areas in NJ Firearms laws.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 1:44:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Matt,

I'm in the process of looking for muzzle breaks for my rifles. I will only consider breaks that were tested by the ATF and have the appropriate documentation.  I won't take a chance on a undocumented muzzle device.

Just my .02

Mike

P.S. The Rock River breaks look good and have (according to the RR) have been approved by the ATF.

Mike,

That is exactly where I am coming from.  I want to go with something that was approved by the ATF, just in case anything is said to me I would be covered.  I have not had a chance to call Troy to ask them if theirs was ATF approved.  I think they released this some time after the sunset of the ban so it may not be ATF approved.

This was actually my first choice of breaks that I was thinking about.
Brownells.

Steve has one on his LMT upper and I got a chance to shoot and it did a nice job of keeping the muzzle rise down.  

Matt
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 1:49:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Matt, when I e-mailed Troy, I specifically asked if the break was ATF approved, and from their obtuse reply I am guessing it is probably not.  If you get the EGW break where do you get it threaded and attached? ADCO?
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 2:21:48 PM EDT
[#7]
ADCO is the way to go!

Mike
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 2:25:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Matt, when I e-mailed Troy, I specifically asked if the break was ATF approved, and from their obtuse reply I am guessing it is probably not.  If you get the EGW break where do you get it threaded and attached? ADCO?

Bogey

Thank you for the info you saved me some leg work.  I guess I will go with the EGW break then.  Well it was my first choice anyway.  When I buy the barrel I will have the dealer send it to ADCO or Denny’s Guns for them to permanently install the break and to remove the bayonet lug.  
Here is some more info for you on the EGW break.  EGW

Matt
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 2:32:37 PM EDT
[#9]
EGW GenII gets 2 thumbs up
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 2:41:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Steve which one do you have with or with out the ports on the bottom?
Matt
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 3:00:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Mike or Matt, as a side note. What is the turn around time from ADCO?
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 3:09:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Matt

The one with the ports. It's designed for the 16". Supposedly the nonported works too well on the 16's it can cause muzzle dip.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 5:21:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Matt

The one with the ports. It's designed for the 16". Supposedly the nonported works too well on the 16's it can cause muzzle dip.

Thanks.  I was kind of leaning away from the one with the ports as I do most of my shooting from the prone position and I do not want dirt and sand flying around.  I guess I will have to test yours some more at Ft Dix.
Matt
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 5:39:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Mike or Matt, as a side note. What is the turn around time from ADCO?
Thanks

There web site says 3-4 business days. I sent by barrel on Monday. I'll let you know when it gets back.

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top