Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2005 4:07:39 PM EDT
big surprise, The bill is written that all rifled shotguns will also be included in the ban.
I hope all those hunters who just stand by and do nothing while the rest of us are writing aand calling our politicians enjoy this one. They better get off their lazy butts and figure out that the gun owners of Ny state all have a vested interest in fighting these gun laws before it's too late.
......write your senators
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:31:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Screw That let them take it in the ASS like the rest of us will....Could you say England and NATO in the same breath....I knew they were going to figure someway to get shotguns in there.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:53:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I was watching the assembly session live and it got me so pissed that everyone of the democrats voted for the bill. Not one cared about the jobs that would be lost at Remington and the other firearm businesses in Ny, that these businesses would have to move out of state because they couldn't sell their shotguns out of state. didn't matter that the economy would suffer from all the lost income from out of state hunters who would no longer come here during hunting season. didn't matter that no federal agency has pushed or requested a ban on 50 cal firearms in this country or they could even find a instance of one being used in a crime. I have never wanted one of these personally ( couldn't afford to feed it LOL ) but make no mistake, these people want your shotguns, 22 marlin, pistol and when their gone your bow, knife and finger nail clippers. It's not just about AR's and AK's they want them all. Sorry about the long rant but I had to get it off my chest.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 6:40:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info but I don't see anything in the bill that would classify a shotgun with a rifled barrel as a "fifty caliber weapon".
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 6:48:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I need to say I am sorry for my Screw them up the ASS comment.....That is the reality they want us to take and I fell right into it.

BIG-DOG...Join the crowd even thought it seems only a few care about 50's.....

I don't smoke but look what they did to the rights of smokers and also the taxes they put on them...

This will be the next step to tax us up the wazoo on Ammo and being able to keep what will be left of our rifles and pistols

Link Posted: 5/25/2005 7:18:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I need to say I am sorry for my Screw them up the ASS comment.....That is the reality they want us to take and I fell right into it.

BIG-DOG...Join the crowd even thought it seems only a few care about 50's.....

I don't smoke but look what they did to the rights of smokers and also the taxes they put on them...

This will be the next step to tax us up the wazoo on Ammo and being able to keep what will be left of our rifles and pistols

I'm unaware of any right guaranteed to smokers?  Fuck that, I wont be happy until you can only smoke in you own damn house and car.  2nd hand smoke has been proven to be as or even more dangherous that inhaling it directly.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 7:29:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Taking aim at sniper rifles

Pols seek a state ban on .50-caliber terror

NY Daily News, 5-24-05.  The manufacturer of a .50-caliber sniper rifle boasts that it can bring down an airplane with a single shot, and that's just one of the things about it that worries local lawmakers.
"There is no reason to have this [sniper rifle] in a civil society - in our society," said Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-Mineola), who compared the rifle to a Humvee, saying that it is "the best of the best" in terms of sniper rifles.

She and other Democratic lawmakers are hoping to outlaw the rifle with a proposed state law called the Anti-Terrorism and Aviation Act. They say the gun could also be used to wreak havoc on chemical plants or oil storage facilities.

McCarthy, an outspoken gun-control advocate, appeared with the bill's sponsor, Assemblywoman Patricia Eddington (D-Medford), in Garden City yesterday. They urged state lawmakers to pass the bill, saying it would further protect Americans from terrorism.

McCarthy said the National Rifle Association's opposition is the main obstacle to passing the bill. She compared the organization's effect on legislators to the fear inspired in children by a schoolyard bully.

The NRA did not respond to a request for comment by press time. In a marketing brochure, the sniper rifle's manufacturer, Barrett Firearms, boasts it has the ability to take down airplanes with a single shot. The 34-pound rifle can be bought legally by an 18-year-old in New York.

In California last year, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed legislation similar to Eddington's bill, which restricted the sale of the .50-caliber rifle. The weapon retails at about $7,500 to military and law enforcement agencies.

McCarthy said that New York should follow California's lead.

"The American people need to wake up," she said, adding that Congress needs to start looking at the pre-9/11 gun laws still in effect and the billions of dollars spent on homeland security.

"It is the most powerful [small-arms] weapon in the military arsenal and that is where it belongs," Eddington said. "You don't shoot deer with a bullet like that. If you did, you would cook it."

Link Posted: 5/25/2005 7:38:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Taking aim at sniper rifles

McCarthy said that New York should follow California's lead.

Yeah, just what we need.  Take their lead  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top