User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2005 2:17:53 PM EDT
Reportedly, the Assembly will have a gun bill day on May 25 and all of
the following bills could come up for a vote at that time. You are
urged to call your Assembly representative and oppose all of these
bills. You can find contact information for your Assembly rep at:

http://assembly.state.ny.us/mem/

Or if you are not sure who your representative is you are welcome to
call SCOPE at 585-663-8741 and we will help you.

Every phone call counts so pass this on to as many gun owners as you
can.

Ken Mathison, President
SCOPE, Inc.

A673-Enacts the "children`s weapon accident prevention act"; creates
crimes of failure to store a weapon safely in the first and second
degrees, aggravated failure to store a weapon, and criminally
negligent storage of a weapon in the first and second degrees;
provides affirmative defenses; directs the commissioner of education
to develop a weapons safety program. This bill mandates gun storage
rules, and penalties for improper storage.
Full text http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A00673&sh=t

A1374-Prohibits the discharge of a firearm or long bow within 1000
feet of a school or school playground; increases the distance which
hunters may hunt near schools from 500 feet to 1,000 feet.
Full text http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A01374&sh=t

A2213-Provides for the submission by state and local law enforcement
authorities of expended projectiles and shell casings and guns, found
or otherwise coming into their possession, to the state police pistol
and revolver ballistic identification electronic databank. A huge
expansion of the failed ballistic database program.
Full text http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A02213&sh=t

A2302-Proscribes persons, firms or corporations engaged in the retail
business of selling firearms from selling, delivering or transferring
child operated firearms. Mandates standards for manufacturers to
produce handguns that can't be operated by the average 5 year old
child.
Full text http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A02302&sh=t

A2345-Requires the creation and imposition of restrictive commercial
practices and stringent recordkeeping and reporting to prevent gun
sales to criminals. This one is basically an attempt to resurrect the
"code of conduct" forced on Smith & Wesson by the Clinton
administration and force it on New York gun dealers.
Full text http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A02345&sh=t

A2466-Relates to banning the possession, sale or manufacture of
assault weapons. This is a major expansion of the New York Assault
Weapon Ban, expands the definition of an assault weapon and requires
their registration or turn in.
Full text http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A02466&sh=t

A2837-Includes possession of armor piercing, frangible or devastator
ammunition as criminal possession of a weapon in the 4th degree and
where possession is knowingly with intent to use against another it
shall constitute criminal possession of a weapon in the 3rd degree.
Bans specific types of ammunition.
Full text http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A02837&sh=t

A4471-Bans the sale, use or possession of 50-caliber or larger weapons
and directs the division of state police to embark on a program
whereby persons currently in lawful possession of such weapons may be
reimbursed for the fair market value thereof upon turning such weapons
in to a designated officer. 50-caliber ban, requires they be turned
in or removed from the state.
Full text http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A04471&sh=t

A5213-Prohibits a person, firm, corporation or association to operate
a website which engages in the shooting or spearing of an animal.
Attempts to regulate the internet with state law.
Full text http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A05213&sh=t

A7032-Prohibits the shooting or spearing of targets or animals from a
remote location over the internet. Similar to A5213 but applies to
businesses in the state only.
Full text http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?bn=A07032&sh=t

Link Posted: 5/17/2005 2:46:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:47:45 AM EDT
[#2]
My magic "8" ball tells me that every gun bill brought up for a vote will pass the Assembly
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:14:36 AM EDT
[#3]
THEY FAILED!!!!
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:39:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd be against all, exept the first two...................lets keep our kids safe, and if not, take the blame
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:43:29 AM EDT
[#5]

THEY FAILED!!!!

Who Failed? I thought this wasn't going to be voted on until May25th
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:46:35 AM EDT
[#6]

I'd be against all, exept the first two...................lets keep our kids safe, and if not, take the blame

Okay but the first bill would make it a crime to use your gun for self defense. How would you be able to use a locked gun for self  defense.

btw... there is this smoking hot chick at work that is killing me, she has a really nice arse....
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 5:52:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

THEY FAILED!!!!

I'm not sure what he means.  The .50 bill is out of the codes committee and has been referred to the ways and means committee because it has financial implications. EVERY other bill from post #1 except A5213 has been reported to the assembly for a floor vote. Our only hope is that they are killed in the Senate.

A04471 Actions:

02/10/2005 referred to codes                                                  
05/17/2005 reported referred to ways and means                                
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:01:13 AM EDT
[#8]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THEY FAILED!!!!

I'm not sure what he means. The .50 bill is out of the codes committee and has been referred to the ways and means committee because it has financial implications.

A04471 Actions:

02/10/2005 referred to codes
05/17/2005 reported referred to ways and means

What are the financial implications? And what does ways and means do?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:15:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

What are the financial implications? And what does ways and means do?

The .50 bill provides for the reimbursement of up to $8,500 to owners of lawfully possessed .50 rifles in NYS.   The W&M committee will determine the cost and impact on the NYS budget if this bill is enacted.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:48:29 AM EDT
[#10]
On page A22 of todays Newsday.  The bills failed to "get the nod" from the rules comittee, which prevents them from being debated on the House floor.  Unless I'm reading something else
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:08:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Can you send a link to that article?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:54:33 AM EDT
[#12]
It will be a cold day in hell when the Assembly codes committee doesn't advance an anti-gun bill in NY.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 9:17:23 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/ny-usguns194265956may19,0,773950.story

Gun-control bids blocked
From no-fly names to foreign felons, McCarthy measures on blocking buyers fail to make cut in House

Email this story

Printer friendly format

BY J. JIONI PALMER
WASHINGTON BUREAU

May 19, 2005

WASHINGTON -- It's common sense that a person barred from flying on a commercial plane because of suspected terror links should not be able to buy a gun, Rep. Carolyn McCarthy said, and Tuesday she offered an amendment to a Homeland Security funding bill that would stop such purchases.

But that measure and five others offered by McCarthy, including one that would prevent people convicted of felonies in foreign courts from owning firearms, failed to get the nod yesterday from the powerful Rules Committee, which decides what does and does not get debated on the House floor.

"We're checking the shoes of 80-year-old grandmothers, but right now if you're on the no-fly list, you can still buy a gun," said McCarthy (D-Mineola), who is casting her signature issue, reducing gun violence, as one critical to the safety of the country.

A spokeswoman for the committee said it selected about a dozen amendments, from more than 90 offered, that best "covered the different issues raised by the members."

Andrew Arulanandam, the National Rifle Association's public affairs director, said he could not comment specifically on McCarthy's amendments. However, speaking generally, he said the amendments were deeply, conceptually flawed.

Arulanandam said barring people from buying firearms because they are on a no-fly list could cause law-abiding citizens to "be denied their civil rights." He said people have been put on the list by mistake.

"No one in the country, with the exception of a handful of people, knows the process of how to get on the list or off the list," he said, noting that the name of Sen. Edward Kennedy (D-Mass.) once appeared on a no-fly list. It was later removed.

Likewise, Arulanandam said, preventing people from buying firearms if they've been convicted of felonies abroad would be unworkable because standards vary around the globe.

"In certain cultures, the very act of being a missionary is a serious crime," he said.

While some of McCarthy's amendments were not immediately germane to the homeland security bill - such as closing the gun-show loophole that allows purchasers to avoid background checks and reinstating the assault-weapons ban - their outright rejection is illustrative of how inhospitable the climate is in Congress for any type of gun control legislation, political analysts and lawmakers of both parties said.

"It's an issue right now that I would say there is no great enthusiasm for on either side," said Rep. Peter King (R-Seaford), who also has introduced a "no-fly/no buy" bill.

Democrats have been skittish on gun control out of an unfounded concern that it was a loser for them, said Robert Zimmerman, a member of the Democratic National Committee from Great Neck.

McCarthy said she's prepared to keep on fighting.

"Though I work on a lot of issues, I know I'm here because of the gun issue. And I'm not going to give up."

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:58:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Another one who should go F*u&k herself...I don't even feel sorry for the loss of her husband anymore. If he or some one had a CCW maybe he would not have been slaughtered like a sheep.

So instead of trying to fight for the right to carry she would rather fight to take it away so more people can join her husband...Like I said GO F(*CK YOURSELF and join your husband
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:19:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/ny-usguns194265956may19,0,773950.story

Gun-control bids blocked
From no-fly names to foreign felons, McCarthy measures on blocking buyers fail to make cut in House

Email this story

Printer friendly format

BY J. JIONI PALMER
WASHINGTON BUREAU

May 19, 2005

WASHINGTON -- It's common sense that a person barred from flying on a commercial plane because of suspected terror links should not be able to buy a gun, Rep. Carolyn McCarthy said, and Tuesday she offered an amendment to a Homeland Security funding bill that would stop such purchases.

But that measure and five others offered by McCarthy, including one that would prevent people convicted of felonies in foreign courts from owning firearms, failed to get the nod yesterday from the powerful Rules Committee, which decides what does and does not get debated on the House floor.

"We're checking the shoes of 80-year-old grandmothers, but right now if you're on the no-fly list, you can still buy a gun," said McCarthy (D-Mineola), who is casting her signature issue, reducing gun violence, as one critical to the safety of the country.

A spokeswoman for the committee said it selected about a dozen amendments, from more than 90 offered, that best "covered the different issues raised by the members."

Andrew Arulanandam, the National Rifle Association's public affairs director, said he could not comment specifically on McCarthy's amendments. However, speaking generally, he said the amendments were deeply, conceptually flawed.

Arulanandam said barring people from buying firearms because they are on a no-fly list could cause law-abiding citizens to "be denied their civil rights." He said people have been put on the list by mistake.

"No one in the country, with the exception of a handful of people, knows the process of how to get on the list or off the list," he said, noting that the name of Sen. Edward Kennedy (D-Mass.) once appeared on a no-fly list. It was later removed.

Likewise, Arulanandam said, preventing people from buying firearms if they've been convicted of felonies abroad would be unworkable because standards vary around the globe.

"In certain cultures, the very act of being a missionary is a serious crime," he said.

While some of McCarthy's amendments were not immediately germane to the homeland security bill - such as closing the gun-show loophole that allows purchasers to avoid background checks and reinstating the assault-weapons ban - their outright rejection is illustrative of how inhospitable the climate is in Congress for any type of gun control legislation, political analysts and lawmakers of both parties said.

"It's an issue right now that I would say there is no great enthusiasm for on either side," said Rep. Peter King (R-Seaford), who also has introduced a "no-fly/no buy" bill.

Democrats have been skittish on gun control out of an unfounded concern that it was a loser for them, said Robert Zimmerman, a member of the Democratic National Committee from Great Neck.

McCarthy said she's prepared to keep on fighting.

"Though I work on a lot of issues, I know I'm here because of the gun issue. And I'm not going to give up."

Dateline is Washington, so these are federal versions of gun bans that failed. The new york ones will pass the legislature.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:22:02 PM EDT
[#16]
shootemup, the article you referred to is from the The U.S. House of Representatives.  The bills gunnnut listed are from the NYS Assembly.

All the anti-gun forces in the U.S. Congress are in a tither. They can't get any of their BS anti-gun legislation out of committee never mind enacted into law. Unfortunately The NYS Assembly is controlled by NYC democrats and almost every anti-gun bill is assured of passage in the Assembly. Our saving grace for the moment is the Republican controlled Senate.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:04:58 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
shootemup, the article you referred to is from the The U.S. House of Representatives.  The bills gunnnut listed are from the NYS Assembly.

All the anti-gun forces in the U.S. Congress are in a tither. They can't get any of their BS anti-gun legislation out of committee never mind enacted into law. Unfortunately The NYS Assembly is controlled by NYC democrats and almost every anti-gun bill is assured of passage in the Assembly. Our saving grace for the moment is the Republican controlled Senate.

Ok, sorry I got everyone all excited and everything  I guess it's back to work for me....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top