Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2005 8:08:40 AM EDT
Can anyone tell me if the State of NY has it's own assault weapons ban? Friend is moving upstate and would like to know what his options are.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:44:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes we do have our very own AWB!  It provides a nice warm fuzzy feeling to the a**hats that passed it and I know I feel safer walking the streets .  It is basically a clone of the now expired Federal law.  If it has "evil features" and was made before September 13, 1994 it is legal.  Otherwise it must comply with the "post-ban" features test.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:53:06 AM EDT
[#2]
juntau, aren't you in PA? Not only AW ban BS, but pistol permits are a P.I.T.A. Also, no full auto joy to be found in civvy hands.

Beautiful state, but laws suck.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 9:49:32 AM EDT
[#3]
This should answer most of your questions about the NYS AWB.  There are also separate more restrictive AWB/mag bans in the City of Buffalo, City of Rochester and the City of Albany.

AS SP10 said you need a NYS pistol permit to even possess a handgun in NYS. If you have handguns in PA they must be transfered to a NYS FFL in NY for transfer back to you after you get your NYS permit.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=9&t=189375
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:52:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Junta....STAY WHERE YOU ARE if your in PA
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:17:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Nope, that must be someone else. So if NY state mirrors the Fed ban which expires, it's basically the same as CT ban then. NO AK types, uzi, thompson and etc.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:41:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
juntau, aren't you in PA? Not only AW ban BS, but pistol permits are a P.I.T.A. Also, no full auto joy to be found in civvy hands.

Beautiful state, but laws suck.

I couldn't agree more - NY's gun laws are almost as bad as NJ's - I would not recommend moving here....

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:48:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Nope, that must be someone else. So if NY state mirrors the Fed ban which expires, it's basically the same as CT ban then. NO AK types, uzi, thompson and etc.

No that is incorrect.  It is not the same as the CT AWB.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:02:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Phew, Im glad Im leaving ct for ny

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Firearms-Assault Weapons Ban List - Connecticut

Algimec Agmi
Armalite AR-180
Australian Automatic Arms SAP Pistol
Auto-Ordnance Thompson type
Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type
Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1
Beretta AR-70; Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol
Calico models M-900, M-950 and 100-P
Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88
Colt AR-15 and Sporter
Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max-1 and Max-2
Encom MK-IV, MP-9 and MP-45
Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FN/FNC
FAMAS MAS 223
Feather AT-9 and Mini-AT
Federal XC-900 and XC-450
Franchi SPAS-12 and LAW-12
Galil AR and ARM
Goncz High-Tech Carbine and High-Tech Long Pistol
Heckler & Koch HK-91, HK-93, HK-94 and SP-89
Holmes MP-83
MAC-10, MAC-11 and MAC-11 Carbine type
Intratec TEC-9 and Scorpion
Iver Johnson Enforcer model 3000
Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model only
Scarab Skorpion
SIG 57 AMT and 500 series
Spectre Auto Carbine and Auto Pistol
Springfield Armory BM59, SAR-48 and G-3
Sterling MK-6 and MK-7
Steyr AUG
Street Sweeper and Striker 12 revolving cylinder shotguns
USAS-12; UZI Carbine, Mini-Carbine and Pistol
Weaver Arms Nighthawk
Wilkinson "Linda" Pistol

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:04:54 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a matter of picking which poison you prefer.  If I hadn't lost all my COLT preban AR15's in a tragic boating accident years ago they would be banned in CT and legal in NY today.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 9:46:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a matter of picking which poison you prefer.  If I hadn't lost all my COLT preban AR15's in a tragic boating accident years ago they would be banned in CT and legal in NY today.

I'm up to go diving anytime. Sorry about your loss there! I am glad Im coming home to NY, I feel like I am being processed as  3d rate citizen ...I'd prefer arsenic right now!

The main thing urking me about  the move  is the loss of my CCW rights. I have to wait 6-9 months before I can even legally possess my pistols, a NY ccw is going to be impossible for me to get. That is something I will be reminded of every day moving forward.

So can I get a supressor on a Pre ban with a $200 tax stamp or what???
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 10:14:20 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
So can I get a supressor on a Pre ban with a $200 tax stamp or what???

Sure. Just ask the Nassau County Police Commissioner to sign off for you when he personally comes over to deliver your unrestricted pistol permit. .  

I've never really understood the Connecticut AWB.  It was enacted before the '94 federal ban and has never made any sense to me.  CT has shall issue CCW (even for non-residents), full auto MG's are legal and there are no restrictions on magazines.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:05:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 11:34:29 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The main thing urking me about  the move  is the loss of my CCW rights. I have to wait 6-9 months before I can even legally possess my pistols, a NY ccw is going to be impossible for me to get. That is something I will be reminded of every day moving forward.

where in NY? some counties still know what the Constitution is and issue unrestricted permits in 3 months or less. I got mine in a little under 3 months in Chautauqua county
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:04:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

where in NY? some counties still know what the Constitution is and issue unrestricted permits in 3 months or less. I got mine in a little under 3 months in Chautauqua county

He's in the Peoples Republik of Nassau County.  The NCPD is his "licensing officer" instead of a judge as in every other county except  NYC and Suffolk.  The best he could do is get a very limited business carry license if the NCPD decided he was qualified for it. To make matters worse they whack you $299 to apply rather then the state mandated $109 fee.  It sucks to be in NY but it sucks even more to be in NC.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:22:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Sure. Just ask the Nassau County Police Commissioner to sign off for you when he personally comes over to deliver your unrestricted pistol permit. .

I've never really understood the Connecticut AWB. It was enacted before the '94 federal ban and has never made any sense to me. CT has shall issue CCW (even for non-residents), full auto MG's are legal and there are no restrictions on magazines.

Excellent!  rkbar, tell the commish to expect my call.  So I guess my class 3 aspirations are now out the window????

You and me both and I lived there at the time...In a state where you have shall-issue CCW and, at the time, pistols for NON-CCW sold OTC on a driver's license, they required REGISTRATION with the local PD of a semi-autmatic rifle.

On top of that, what AR is specifically banned by NAME? Hint: the only one located IN the state of Connecticut and the only one the Ct. State Employees Union had Pension funds invested...

Some things just defy logic....

COLT/HARTFORD CONNECTICUT, but you cant have one if you happen to live in hartford, How in the world does that defy logic.  I do get to keep my Ct. CCW, apparently, once i cross into CT, I am responsible enough to carry my pistols

Quoted:

Quoted:

NASSAU COUNTY - LONG ISLAND, and I work in MANHATTAN

My wife picked up our applications/textbooks from Mineola NCPD. They are so rediculous, it even comes with an instruction booklet on how to fill the dman thing out. The officer said there is absolutely no reciprocity w/ our CT CCWs.  I will be able to aquire a Nassau target/hunting license. Absolute bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 12:31:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Quoted:
He's in the Peoples Republik of Nassau County.  The NCPD is his "licensing officer" instead of a judge as in every other county except  NYC and Suffolk.  The best he could do is get a very limited business carry license if the NCPD decided he was qualified for it. To make matters worse they whack you $299 to apply rather then the state mandated $109 fee.  It sucks to be in NY but it sucks even more to be in NC.

rkbar15 - I don't have my application on hand, but if memory serves me correct, they wanted to see receipts for at least $3,000 a week in  cash drops for the limited business carry. I do remmebr they advised to get my target permit first, and than try and up it to the business carry.

Can you let me know when your book " The Idiot's guide to understanding NY's rdiculous gun laws"  will be published?  I need tp preorder that from Amazon
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:49:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
You and me both and I lived there at the time...In a state where you have shall-issue CCW and, at the time, pistols for NON-CCW sold OTC on a driver's license, they required REGISTRATION with the local PD of a semi-autmatic rifle.

So basically what you're saying is they ban assault weapons in every state you live in.  I guess we'll just have to call you "assault weapon ban Mary"     from now on.

Let us all know what state you plan on moving to next so we can avoid it.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:11:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

rkbar15 - I don't have my application on hand, but if memory serves me correct, they wanted to see receipts for at least $3,000 a week in  cash drops for the limited business carry. I do remmebr they advised to get my target permit first, and than try and up it to the business carry.

Can you let me know when your book " The Idiot's guide to understanding NY's rdiculous gun laws"  will be published?  I need tp preorder that from Amazon

Here's the really stoopid part.  In NY you cannot use deadly physical force to protect property and outside of your "castle" you are required to retreat if you can safely do so.  So if you state on your application for a carry permit "to defend your life" as a reason for issuance you will get rejected.  If you can convince them that you carry enough cash or diamonds etc. they will issue you one.  Oh yeah if you're a lowly cab driver who carries cash and has a much greater chance of being robbed or killed then a police officer well that's too bad as well.  

If you're a celebrity like Robert DiNero, Howard Stern or Don Imus well that's no problem either even if you're an admitted drug addict like Imus.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:18:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's the really stoopid part.  In NY you cannot use deadly physical force to protect property and outside of your "castle" you are required to retreat if you can safely do so.  So if you state on your application for a carry permit "to defend your life" as a reason for issuance you will get rejected.  If you can convince them that you carry enough cash or diamonds etc. they will issue you one.  Oh yeah if you're a lowly cab driver who carries cash and has a much greater chance of being robbed or killed then a police officer well that's too bad as well.  

If you're a celebrity like Robert DiNero, Howard Stern or Don Imus well that's no problem either even if you're an admitted drug addict like Imus.

I am a business owner,  (I.T., network integration, anything computer related) and I do transport valuable tangable goods -  Laptops,  small pieces of equipment worth $1000's. Not diamonds, but valuable nonetheless.

I don't think they will go for that angle....  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top