Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2004 5:42:26 PM EDT
I'm looking for general information on this area. Is it a nice place to live? Is this a safe place to live? Are the civil servants like cops and fireman decent to work with? What shopping is close by? Closest range to shoot rifles? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:57:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Ridgewood, Queens?  No black rifles.  NYC area.  It's a decent place.  Area is covered by NYPD and FDNY.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:42:19 PM EDT
[#2]
My mother grew up on Harman Street, my grandmother lived there for 73 years, and one of my sisters lives on Catalpa.  I guess the area is okay though I am not a city person so I would not want to live there.  I only go in occassionally and that is usually to go to the Forest Pork Store and Grimaldi's Bakery.  As for public transportation, the "M" line is okay and will take you to lower Manhattan or you can transfer to the "L" at Wyckoff for midtown.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:50:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Ridgewood is a racially and ethnically mixed working class neighborhood. The great majority of whom are just decent and law abiding.

The main problem is it borders with Bushwick and Bedford Stuyvesant Brooklyn which is basically a free-fire zone full of junkies and thugs.

They travel in packs to Ridgewood to rob,steal , pillage and burn.

Owning a car there is an adventure , especially around 3 am

Ridgewood is nice but it borders on one of NYC worst neighberhoods.

Good luck
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 7:11:14 AM EDT
[#4]

That oughta do.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:42:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 11:31:20 AM EDT
[#6]
ColtM4's comments are polite and accurate.
I go door to door doing background investigations.
alone.
my agency prohibits firearms for protection.
I won't go there after the sun starts to set.
'nuff said.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:19:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank all of you for the useful information

Vinnie thanks for the INT on who covers the area. Do you know if they have decent response times?

Aardvark I appreciate the transport INT it will help.

ColtM4 thanks for the especially helpful SITREP. Sounds like I need to walk around at high alert and check 6 frequently.

Sherm8404 - they say a picture is worth a thousand words. The words I gather from your post are just scary. Thanks for the heads up! BTW is armor actually OK in NYC area if no black rifles allowed?

Wave this information bums me out. So I take it that mere possesion is not allowed?

pequa1 - are you LEO, PI or BEA by chance? Feel free to IM me if you do not want to post openly. Your SITREP along with the unarmed comment says a lot. I could use a local contact with that background.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 11:09:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Metalrocks,
Actually, all of New York City is much safer now than when I started working for the Defense Security Service (federal) in 1984.  I guess AIDS, long sentences, Rudy, and the NYPD had a lot to do with it.   Personally, as a 50 year plus old  150 pounder, I feel that the South Bronx and Harlem are safer for me than that section of Brooklyn just NW of Ridgewood.   Even if I were permitted to carry I am not sure that I would, as doing so without a partner in a project stairwell ...
Welcome to New York, but look around some before settling on one particular area if you can.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 5:00:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I used to live in Ridgewood when it was good.  By 1997 the garbage from Bushwick spilled over into Ridgewood.  I wouldn't go back there.   You have a better shot in Glendale, but thats changing to.
I was on Madison Street right off of Onderdonk Ave.  Ridgewood USED to be a nice neighborhood.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top