Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2004 12:24:26 PM EDT
well. the ban takes another well known and popular Buffalo restaurant/bar. thing is he had won lawsuits to get a waiver but the county wouldn't give it to him

www.wgrz.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=23705

Jimmy Mac's Closes; Owner Blames State Smoking Ban.

Posted by:  Maria Sisti, Assignment Editor  
Created: 10/18/2004 2:24:02 PM
Updated: 10/18/2004 2:29:30 PM

A longtime Buffalo restaurant has closed and it's owner says the New York State smoking ban is to blame.

Jimmy Mac's, a fixture on Elmwood Avenue for close to 25 years, shut its' doors Monday. Owner Rick Naylon says months of legal battles and thousands of dollars in legal fees left him no choice. "My bar business is down thousands of dollars in revenue each month and I can't continue to tap my children's college funds to make up the lost revenue."

35 employees are affected by the closure. Naylon says those include single mothers, college students and minorities. "My employees are direct victims of this harsh law and the arbitrary and capricious way it has been enforced by the Health Department", said Naylon.

New York passed a law that went into effect in July, 2003 banning smoking in most public places.
County health departments do have discretion in granting waivers to the ban, but Naylon has been repeatedly unsuccessful in obtaining one.

more lost jobs in Buffalo. local politicians will probably blame bush like their commercials have been doing for a while, even though it's the fault of local and state lawmakers, but that's a topic for another thread
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top