Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2004 8:49:09 AM EDT
not banned yet.....
If they do will they confiscate or have a grandfather clause?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:56:00 AM EDT
[#1]
The last proposed NYS .50 ban, IIRC, had a payment schedule for owners to turn them in-no grandfather clause...It was covered on this forum fairly well.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 11:28:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Same thing in New Jersey:

SENATE, No. 1546

This bill amends N.J.S.2C:39-1 to revise the definition of "destructive device" so that it includes weapons of 50 caliber or greater.
   Although primarily devices or instruments designed to explode or produce uncontrolled combustion, the current statutory definition of "destructive device" also includes weapons which fire projectiles of greater than 60 caliber.
   The provisions of the bill specifically exempt antique firearms and antique handguns from the 50 caliber limitation. With this exemption, antique firearms and handguns would continue to be governed by the current "greater than 60 caliber" limitation. Antique firearms and handguns are defined in the statutes as firearms which:
   (1) do not fire fixed ammunition or were manufactured before 1898 and for which fixed ammunition is not commercially available; and
   (2) are possessed as a curiosity or ornament or for their historical significance or value. The statutory definition of antique handgun includes "replicas."
   The bill also affords an exemption for persons who lawfully possessed a firearm of a caliber of 50 caliber or greater on or before the effective date of the bill. This "grandfather" provision will permit those persons to continue to lawfully possess their large caliber firearms.
   The possession of destructive devices is prohibited under New Jersey law (N.J.S.2C:39-3). A person who knowingly has in his possession any destructive device is guilty of a crime of the third degree. A crime of the third degree is punishable by a fine of up to $15,000; imprisonment for three to five years; or both.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 12:21:05 PM EDT
[#3]
no grandfather clause means going out of state and buying a .50bmg upper and paying cash versus buying a full firearm that'll be on a 4473
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:44:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
no grandfather clause means going out of state and buying a .50bmg upper and paying cash versus buying a full firearm that'll be on a 4473

Yeah, something like that!
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:01:57 PM EDT
[#5]
can i or can't i buy one?
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:33:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes....

As of today you can still legally own a .50 BMG here in New York....

Dan Tucker
UPstate NY
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:01:08 PM EDT
[#7]
YEs and since Barrett or Armalite wasn't at GunStock and I didn't spend to much money there. My order is going in next month on one. I think I am going for the Barrett Semi , Cobb or AR50
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top