Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2004 2:49:24 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:25:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't blame the security guard for doing his job but after everything was checked out and the kid's story was heard for the school system to pursue the matter and the police lock him up is totally rediculous.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:12:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Nowadays police will lock you up for a watergun.  (It might have CLOROX in it!)

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:13:14 AM EDT
[#3]
It is more than ridiculous.  It is total stupidity on the part of the school officials and the police officials.

Michaels said she understands how school officials would be concerned, in the post-Columbine era, after discovering the musket on school grounds. But she said once they learned the musket was a replica, they should have given him a break.
  "I don't understand why the school wants to push this so far," she said. "There are bigger problems at that high school than this. It just doesn't make any sense."
  Town of Crawford police Chief Daniel McCann disagreed. Replica or not, he said, the musket could have been used to fire a projectile, such as a small rock.
  He said officers found 14 to 15 rolled cartridges with black powder, and a bayonet.

Right, moron.  The poor kid would take the chance of his replica musket blowing up on him.

Many states have a zero-tolerance stance, meaning a fake musket that fires blanks carries the same penalty as a loaded AK-47 assault rifle. In New York, each case must take into account the weapon, the circumstances and the student's history.

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:18:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I dont know how many times I was asked to bring 17th thru 19th Century clothing and weapons to my High School for various presentations.  At least once a month at least.  Imagine that, the Principlal Calling up my parents and asking if little Luke could please bring his muskets to school tomarrow.  

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:19:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:22:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 8:24:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 4:35:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Not trying to be a smartass,but what does a crossbow pistol fall under? im curious because  i know some one that has one.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 5:30:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 10:38:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I foresee a cashectomy ahead for the local police department. They will still probably get away with throwing him out of school. I've had parents call me complaining that their children were disciplined for DRAWING a picture of a gun.

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:18:39 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I foresee a cashectomy ahead for the local police department. They will still probably get away with throwing him out of school. I've had parents call me complaining that their children were disciplined for DRAWING a picture of a gun.

You mean a "cashectomy" to the local taxpayers, don't you??? Odds are pretty good that if they actually had to reach into THEIR OWN pockets after abusing their "powers", there'd be a hell of alot less of that kind of bullshit!!!

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:39:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:53:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean a "cashectomy" to the local taxpayers, don't you??? Odds are pretty good that if they actually had to reach into THEIR OWN pockets after abusing their "powers", there'd be a hell of alot less of that kind of bullshit!!!

Well, I'm not a "cop-basher" like some might be labelled, but I'd have to agree: If people convicted of abuses of power, be they cops, judges or politicians, had to pay civil awards out their OWN hides, they might think harder before they do any of the over-the-top shit they occasionally do.....

- georgestrings

Amen!
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 12:11:21 AM EDT
[#14]
"Well, I'm not a "cop-basher" like some might be labelled, but I'd have to agree: If people convicted of abuses of power, be they cops, judges or politicians, had to pay civil awards out their OWN hides, they might think harder before they do any of the over-the-top shit they occasionally do....."

EXACTLY!!!! You said it better than I did, Helldog - thanks... Just think - IF judges actually upheld the Constitution AS WRITTEN, and politicians actually obeyed the oaths they swear to - we'd ALL be better off....

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 12:51:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top