Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2004 6:18:30 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:32:34 AM EDT
[#1]

Not even close to Luger's, but you get a huge steak.

At least the one in New Brunswick
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:45:03 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Not even close to Luger's, but you get a huge steak.

At least the one in New Brunswick

I have been to Arthur's original location in Hoboken and it is reputed to be better than its offshoots by friends who have gone to their other locations.  If you have a huge appetite and do not want to spend a ton of money, this is your place.  the steaks come in two sizes, 24oz. and 48oz.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:21:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Ray, my partner goes there quite often with his girl.  It's his top steakhouse pick.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 12:32:30 PM EDT
[#4]
lugers, IMO, is in a class by itself, with a close second, wolfgangs (which was started by the head waiter from lugers).  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:20:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:24:07 PM EDT
[#6]
sounds like we need a road trip to judge steak houses.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've been to Arthur's in New Brunswick several times over the years.  Its pretty good but I've honestly never understood the fascination with the place.  Yes, you get a big piece of meat and its always tasty but, IMHO, its not worth me driving the 45 minutes to get there...  I've had better even at the KC Prime nearby...
Why do I feel like I'm going to get flamed mercilessly for this?

Not gonna get flamed by me, you're right.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:08:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:48:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm always up for a Steak Roadtrip!!. Went out to J.R.'s steakhouse in Rocky Point for the 72oz monster was able to get half down in an hour but then I could'nt move!!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:57:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Do they serve vegan meals there too?  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:43:13 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Do they serve vegan meals there too?   hr

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:31:55 AM EDT
[#12]
IMO, Arthur's in Hoboken is a small step above Tad's Steaks in the city, or a Sizzler or Ponderosa for those familiar with those chains. Except the meat is better at Ponderosa or Sizzler.

I love steak, would gladly join in a roadtrip to any area steakhouse, but Arthur's does not belong in the same discussion thread as Lugers, Ben Benson, Morton, Sparks, Ruth Chris, Keen's, Smith & Wollensky, etc. I'll go there if we're deciding that we're essentially going to a place that happens to serve easily affordable steak, not "one of the greats"

Even Outback has better meat cuts than Arthur's.

As far as I can tell, the "allure" of Arthur's is that it *is* steak, and it is about the same price as going to any typical fast food on an ounce for ounce basis. You get to tell a date you're taking her to a "great" steakhouse. But unless your date is impressed by hot dog stands, your date won't be impressed by Arthur's.

The strong possibility exists that there is ongoing confusion. There are and have been two well known steak oriented places in Hoboken - Arthur's, which was cheap and easy to find on Washington, and Frankie & Johnnie's, which is expensive, good, and a bit more out of the way on Garden & 14th. Probably lots of discussions occured with someone saying "what's that great steakhouse in Hoboken?" meaning F&J, and somebody interjected the better known Arthur's resulting in "yeah, that's it". F&J and Arthur's are not in the same league.

To put my opinion in context: I've eaten at Arthur's in Hoboken no less than five times, spread out over about 5 years. I haven't gone in the last 6 months but don't think anything has changed. I've eaten at each of the above named steakhouses many times.

Price to quality to general appeal ratios, Keen's in midtown is probably the winner for those that categorically block any of the multi-location places.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:06:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 10:39:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 11:10:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 11:43:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 12:41:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Guys, count me in, if you'll have me, and add the River Palm in Mahwah (awesome cuts of aged meat, but it ain't cheap) and Houston's in the Riverside Square Mall (Hackensack) to the list.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 1:41:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:28:19 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
sounds like we need a road trip to judge steak houses.

Not a bad idea...ARFCOM get together?

+1 on the road trip.

There is an Arthur's about 2 miles from my home. I don't care for it at all.

Went to the Smith & Wollensky in Vegas last year. Best steak I've ever eaten.

Mike

Well if RBAD is 2 mile from the Morris Plains Arthurs and I'm 2 miles from the Morris Plains Arthurs does that mean I am RBAD?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:03:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:17:29 PM EDT
[#21]
The Willett House is good.  Ruth's Chris Steak House at the Tarrytown Marriott is good too.  Have you been to Frankie and Johnnie's in Rye?  They opened up on Purchase Street about two years ago.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top