Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2004 10:13:03 PM EDT
Talked to one of the counter help yesterday at the Gander Mtn. in Utica.
I asked to see a SIG226 and asks me for my pistol  licence WTF? I think...
Then I ask about if they carry used guns, are they going to carry used HICAP mags, he politely admits it's bullshi# but no, GM isn't selling hicap mags here for the forseeable future.

Th guy I talked to is a corrections officer and works at GM part time.I tell him of my new FAL build and what went into it ..he thinks GM's black rifle policy is BS, and told me so while other customers were scowling at us both....Guess they were there for shells for their grandaddy's Winchester 94
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 8:06:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 10:48:22 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
In NYS it is illegal to handle a pistol without a permit, technically this applies to gun stores as well.  Kind of ironic as Onondaga County requires you to purchase a pistol before you apply for a permit - to demonstrate you are actually going to get a pistol rather than just have a permit in case you want one.  The obvious question being how do you know if the pistol will comfortably fit your hand if you can't even hold it until you receive your permit.  In my pistol permit course taught by a Deputy Sheriff, the Deputy passed several pistols around the class to show the difference between a pistol and revolver.  He put one on my desk and I sat there looking at it.  He laughed and said if I was scared of handling a pistol why was I getting a permit.  I shot him a wiseassed look and said, "are you inducing me to break the law sheriff?  You know damn well its illegal for me to touch that without a permit."  He was incredulous because he knew I was right.  Suddenly you could hear like 6 pistols being put down on desks and he had to walk around the room collecting them.  Don't think he was too happy about that.

Welcome to NY where the NY Assembly and Senate members take happy pills prior to enacting any legislation.  There is no requirement under NYS law that you actually have to register a handgun on your permit in order to be issued a NYS permit. Of course that makes no sense but hey this is NY!  

BTW, NYS changed the law when they raised the permit age to 21 (unless hon. discharged military) in 2000 so what you described is no longer true (well sort of). If you are 18-20 years old you now can legally fire a handgun at a range under the supervision of an instructor or other NYS permit holder.  If you are 21 or over and have applied for a permit you can legally fire a handgun at a range under the supervision of an instructor.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:05:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I saw one of the assistant managers of a GM store today and asked "why don't you guys sell black rifles?"  His answer was "their not for hunting". My argument went in magazine capacity as I hunt with a FAL using a blocked magazine, all to no avail...
Wonder what you can hunt with the Thunder .380 Bersa's they sell for $199.?
Ironically, GM seems to offer special order guns at better prices than those in stock...go figure.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:48:02 PM EDT
[#4]
AD1- Where is the GM in Utica?? How long has that been there? I didnt know we had one. -Justin
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:50:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Just opened up in the new mall  right next to the OUTBACK Steakhouse
Did you pick up your new UZI yet?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:29:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Mmmm.... Guns & steak....I'm going to have to take a ride to check it out. The UZI is ordered w/ Vector but their back ordered until Nov./Dec.. -Justin
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:54:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Lemme know when you go ICU and maybe I'll tag along, did you use my FFL buddy to order your new toy?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 4:01:21 AM EDT
[#8]
AD1... I'll get ahold of you before I take a ride up, maybe Sun.. I just called Vector & gave them CC#. Its gonna be a month or two, so as long as I get them FFL before DEC. 1st I should be OK. -Justin
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 9:55:17 AM EDT
[#9]
do they sell any used mags?
what about free states, will GM sell new hicaps there or are the free state residents going to have to boycott them?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top