Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2004 4:01:02 PM EDT
I, m not too sure but I am under the impression that you can buy guns in any contigues state.  Is this true??  Are Vt, Penn, NJ, Ct, Mass ok?
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 4:15:54 PM EDT
[#1]
According to the New York penal law this appears to be the case.  Not that I have any reason at the moment but I am curious if Rhode Island is also considered a contiguous state.  It borders New York through Long Island Sound.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:07:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I, m not too sure but I am under the impression that you can buy guns in any contigues state.  Is this true??  Are Vt, Penn, NJ, Ct, Mass ok?

According to New Jersey law, only NJ Firearms Purchaser ID Card {somebody please come up with an acronym} holders  may purchase long guns.  Everything else must get shipped to your state.  BTW, what is your state of residence?  You first must comply with that.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:09:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Rob, You beat me by 2 minutes. BTW, nice truck. I'm jealous.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:21:34 PM EDT
[#5]
no idea about rhode island and if it counts
but long guns are ok to buy in adjoining states, although I think it has to be through an FFL in the other state or shipped back to an FFL in NY. I don't think private sales are ok face to face in another state
but I could be wrong about the specifics
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 5:24:22 PM EDT
[#6]
The five states that are contiguous to NY for an in person long gun transfer from an FFL are: CT, MA, NJ, PA  & VT.  Since you need to be fingerprinted in NJ to buy BB's you can cross NJ off the list!  

Private FTF transfers of firearms are only legal between residents of the same state under federal law and  they are not restricted by state or local law.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:11:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I was out at wally world and saw a sign posting which residents of which state are allowed to purchase long arms from a New York State dealer.  It shows residents from over 40 states can buy here in NYS.  I also called a shop in Delaware, they will sell to a NYS resident as long as they aren't in NYC.  So I think that each state has a different rule.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 7:28:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

According to New Jersey law, only NJ Firearms Purchaser ID Card {somebody please come up with an acronym} holders  may purchase long guns.  Everything else must get shipped to your state.  BTW, what is your state of residence?  You first must comply with that.

The Communist state of NY.  

I know if you want to buy a firearm in a non-contigues state you must have it sent to your ffl.   But, I thought that if say you are in Vt and see a gun you like you caan do a direct purchase from an ffl.   Yes/No
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:11:47 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
According to the New York penal law this appears to be the case.  Not that I have any reason at the moment but I am curious if Rhode Island is also considered a contiguous state.  It borders New York through Long Island Sound.

No.

Contiguous:  Sharing an edge or boundary; touching.  Neighboring; adjacent.

1. Connecting without a break: the 48 contiguous states.
2. Connected in time; uninterrupted: served two contiguous terms in office
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:23:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Penal Law
ARTICLE 265
                 FIREARMS AND OTHER DANGEROUS WEAPONS

S 265.40 Purchase of rifles and/or shotguns in contiguous states.
 Definitions. As used in this act:
 1. "Contiguous state" shall mean any state having any portion of its
border in common with a portion of the border of the state of New York;
 2. All other terms herein shall be given the meaning prescribed in
Public Law 90-618 known as the "Gun Control Act of l968" (18 U.S.C.
921).
 It shall be lawful for a person or persons residing in this state, to
purchase or otherwise obtain a rifle and/or shotgun in a contiguous
state, and to receive or transport such rifle and/or shotgun into this
state; provided, however, such person is otherwise eligible to possess a
rifle and/or shotgun under the laws of this state.

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:33:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Does Connecticut have a waiting period?  A week?  Not sure.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:38:48 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Does Connecticut have a waiting period?  A week?  Not sure.

Yes, without a valid CT pistol permit or hunter's safety course, there is a 14 day wait for long guns.  Not sure if the waiting period is waived if a NY resident has a non-resident CT permit.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:42:08 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Yes, you can generally purchase long guns from neighboring states through an FFL.  (not through private sale)  Though, some states have requirements that you might not meet.  For example, NJ requires a Firearms ID card, resident or not...

Does NJ offer non resident Firearms ID card?  If so, can a non resident with a NJ firearms ID card take a transfer in person without an FFL on long guns?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:18:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I was out at wally world and saw a sign posting which residents of which state are allowed to purchase long arms from a New York State dealer.  It shows residents from over 40 states can buy here in NYS.  I also called a shop in Delaware, they will sell to a NYS resident as long as they aren't in NYC.  So I think that each state has a different rule.

NYS only restricts the transfer of long guns to NYS residents.  They don't restrict a non-resident from transferring a long gun from a NYS FFL and taking it back to their state of residence.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:59:19 AM EDT
[#15]
A little off topic but What criteria must be met to prove residence in a state to purchase firearms?
For Example I live in NY, But I own a Home in PA that I visit for a total of 3 months out of the year, Can I legally purchase long guns in PA from a private seller?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:19:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:39:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Is there anywhere I can find out more information on this?  I tried searching the web, but there's too much stuff to sort through.

Quoted:
NYS only restricts the transfer of long guns to NYS residents.  They don't restrict a non-resident from transferring a long gun from a NYS FFL and taking it back to their state of residence.

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:41:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes, you can generally purchase long guns from neighboring states through an FFL.  (not through private sale)  Though, some states have requirements that you might not meet.  For example, NJ requires a Firearms ID card, resident or not...

Does NJ offer non resident Firearms ID card?  If so, can a non resident with a NJ firearms ID card take a transfer in person without an FFL on long guns?

Yes and yes!  Rather than go through a 'local PD' you go through the state police.  You can contact the troop/barracks closest to where you live and work through them.  www.njsp.org

And after you fill out the form listing two references and getting fingerprinted you can buy BB's in NJ also!  

Here's the form:  Application for Firearms Purchaser Identification Card
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:51:05 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
A little off topic but What criteria must be met to prove residence in a state to purchase firearms?
For Example I live in NY, But I own a Home in PA that I visit for a total of 3 months out of the year, Can I legally purchase long guns in PA from a private seller?

If you maintain a residence in PA you can transfer both handguns and long guns from an FFL in PA during the period of time that you reside there.  An FFL is going to require some form of Govt. issued picture ID to establish your identity.  I would think that a PA utility bill, phone bill, property/school tax bill etc. in your name would be sufficient to “prove” your status as a resident. A private FTF transfer of a long gun doesn’t require ID.

Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:51:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes and yes!  Rather than go through a 'local PD' you go through the state police.  You can contact the troop/barracks closest to where you live and work through them.  www.njsp.org

And after you fill out the form listing two references and getting fingerprinted you can buy BB's in NJ also!  

Here's the form:  Application for Firearms Purchaser Identification Card

Thanks Guys,
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top